Wow! I thought I was past this!

Options
Nothing like family to bring out the best and worst in you! As a former (I thought) stress eater. I learned that exercising and focusing my energy somewhere else is much better than burying myself in a couple pints of Ben and Jerry's when it comes to dealing with stress.

HOWEVER...I just found out my dad is moving into our office on Monday! We have an insurance agency. He was working for an independent insurance company that was just bought out by Wells Fargo and he doesn't want to go in the deal. So while he is setting up a new company he will be residing in one of our private offices within our larger office. I love my dad and he's been a huge help to us many times over. But as a personality type...heaven help me! His nickname is Ziggy! The man has his very own dark cloud. His favorite phrase is, "That won't work." And there only two points of view...his and the wrong one. When we first wanted to open the office in this location, he didn't like it. We are between a salon and a restaurant. He said the perm smell would make our office stink. We have the distinction of being known as having the nicest Allstate office in Reno. People love it. He swears it smells like perm solution even if they aren't doing one. He will comment on when I eat, what I eat, where I eat, what it smells like, what I wear to work, what time i come in, what time I leave and anything else that he thinks he has a valuable opinion on. In short...I love him but he drives me right up a wall.

So in response to the news that he will be here Monday, what did I do? I started to feel panicky and the urge to eat. I haven't had that in a really, really long time! The good news is that I didn't eat as many Reeses peanut butter cups as I can hold (the number is truly staggering) Or two pints of Ben and Jerry's. Or all of several different items from the bakery down the hall. I had my favorite treat, Chobani peach yogurt with Kashi Go Lean Crunch in it. I'm not really hungry and I'm eating in response to an emotional trigger, but at least its real food and not total crap. But I'm scared to death I'm going to feel like this every day when I come to work now! Ohhhhh there's a very dark cloud on my horizon. Hurrican Ziggy is approaching!

Replies

• homeslice614
    Options
    Your post really encouraged me and inspired me. Thanks for sharing!
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    no no no...you CAN and you WILL do this!!!!!

You've recognised the eating issue....keep your eyes OPEN for when it hits and then...WHAMMO!!! Hit is right back...

YOU GO GIRL!!!
  • PJFaber
    PJFaber Posts: 47
    Options
    Knowing that the problem is there is half the battle. Keep filling your self with the good stuff when you feel the need to emotionally eat. I know the feeling. Keep up the good work
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Sometimes its about needing encouragement and inspiration during a difficult time. But thanks for the comment.

Oh....and...bite me.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

His favorite phrase is, "That won't work." And there only two points of view...his and the wrong one.

Are we sisters?
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I went through the same kind of stress eating a couple weeks ago. Someone broke into my car & stole my purse while I was at a zoo. I decided I was going to eat anything & everything I wanted. Surprisingly, I still only wanted healthier foods & came in under my calorie goal. I really surprised myself.

You've made a good step in choosing better food. You just have to keep on top of those urges & keep controlling them. Good luck :smile:
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options

This post really wasn't about inspiring you! She obviously is stressed and is looking for help and encouragement from the people on MFP. You just wasted your time, and everyone elses, by trying to be a smart *kitten*. If you don't like what you read, why bother posting anything?
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    So I got a question for you. If he wasn't your dad. He was just some guy that was the way you've described him (go back and read what you've written with that in mind). How would you interact with that person? What would be your strategy to deal with that personality?

Thinking of it that way may help.

The fact that he's your dad has a big effect on your reactions and interactions.

Also, do yourself a big favor and check whether your opinions about his style are because he is your dad. Ask yourself whether the consensus opinion about him is the same as yours.

Figuring those things out may help you lay out a path to go forward. That or you could quit your job. Just kidding.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

People still get perms?
  • janet_pratt
    Options
    So I got a question for you. If he wasn't your dad. He was just some guy that was the way you've described him (go back and read what you've written with that in mind). How would you interact with that person? What would be your strategy to deal with that personality?

The fact that he's your dad has a big effect on your reactions and interactions.

Also, do yourself a big favor and check whether your opinions about his style are because he is your dad. Ask yourself whether the consensus opinion about him is the same as yours.

Figuring those things out may help you lay out a path to go forward. That or you could quit your job. Just kidding.

He is a wonderful, giving person and people generally adore him. He's just hard on me because he expects so much from me. Says I'm the smartest kid he's got. He was really unhappy when I was so overweight and made sure I knew it. I really do adore him. But the idea of thinking of him as some other old guy and not my dad and how I would deal with that...that could be helpful. Thank you. Good idea.
  • janet_pratt
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

People still get perms?

Judging by the smell wafting through our vents every few days...yeah. When we first moved in here I would see these women walking past our window with foil all over their heads, wearing the capes and I thought they were going over to the restaurant next door. I thought, "Wow, they really have some self confidence there." Took me a week to realize there is a bathroom between us and the restaurant! We have our own in here, so I didn't know.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Here's the smart a** line:
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

You just crossed it.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

His favorite phrase is, "That won't work." And there only two points of view...his and the wrong one.

Are we sisters?

Clearly, we are all related. We must be. His other favorite? "The thing you don't understand is..."
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

He is a wonderful, giving person and people generally adore him. He's just hard on me because he expects so much from me. Says I'm the smartest kid he's got. He was really unhappy when I was so overweight and made sure I knew it. I really do adore him. But the idea of thinking of him as some other old guy and not my dad and how I would deal with that...that could be helpful. Thank you. Good idea.

The reason I say is because my Mom has a similar effect on me, if I let it happen. I've used exactly that strategy to get past it. And interestingly, my Mom's emotional well being is turned on a dime by her Dad (my Grandfather). It's amazing for me to watch. And she is in her 70's, and he's 95. He doesn't have to say anything.

She is so conditioned by her own expectations of his beliefs, opinions, and style, that she no longer deals with him as he is. She deals with him as she expects him to be.

Does that make sense?
  • janet_pratt
    Options

She is so conditioned by her own expectations of his beliefs, opinions, and style, that she no longer deals with him as he is. She deals with him as she expects him to be.

Does that make sense?

It really does. Thank you.