How do you effectively manage your depression & anxiety?

Options
SaraJ429
SaraJ429 Posts: 50 Member
edited June 2019 in Motivation and Support
Since I (30F) was in my teens, I have struggled with terrible anxiety and depression. It started in high school, got much worse in college and carried through into my young adulthood. It is particularly bad in the hottest months of summer (like right now) and around the holidays. Something about humidity and extreme cold seems to exaggerate my symptoms somehow.

I have tried EVERYTHING to manage my symptoms. I am frankly almost at a loss of what to do at this point to help myself. I have tried prescription medications (multiple), talk therapy with multiple therapists, herbal supplements, tea, changed my diet, exercise (including cardio and yoga), meditation, avoiding caffeine and alcohol, get enough sleep, read books, partake in hobbies, journal, socialize etc. I continue to do all these things (besides talk therapy & prescription meds). Pretty much everything doctors and well meaning friends have advised me to do. I have read every book & magazine article under the sun. These things do help to an extent but not for long term relief.

I have built a great life for myself – I have (some) financial freedom, great support system, friends, independence, health, travel – so it’s not really outside stressors that are causing me distress. Do I wish some things about my life were different? Sure. But I’m not sitting around crying about it.

I think a lot of my anxiety/depression is tied to working a desk job. It makes me feel trapped and I have trouble concentrating on the more tedious aspects of my job. I feel unmotivated and antsy sitting at my desk all day, counting down the minutes to 5 p.m. when I can finally feel some relief. I do try walking outside on my lunch hour and taking frequent breaks. This helps a bit. I also get to travel from time to time which also helps.

Anyone else face a similar struggle? Any tips that help you manage your symptoms and get some peace of mind?

Replies

• hopelessdreamer12
    hopelessdreamer12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like to listen to audiobooks (breaks and lunch). It helps me relax during my work day.
  • SaraJ429
    Options
    I like to listen to audiobooks (breaks and lunch). It helps me relax during my work day.

I recently started to do that! Helps a lot :)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    A lot of therapy, specifically a lot of therapy with a therapist who I have good chemistry with and who uses a modality that works for me. There are countless different ways of doing therapy out there which is a good thing because not every way will work for every person. A large chunk of the therapy that I've had over the years hasn't been useful to me at all (and in some cases it was detrimental), that said my current therapist (who I've been seeing for 6+ years) is a really good fit for me.

Medication is a no go (and not for lack of trying), exercise doesn't do anything to better my mental health, mindfulness is a non-starter with regards to my depression and anxiety, etc.

My depression isn't so much "better" so much as I can do things now. I still have quite a lot of suicidal ideation, hopelessness, and so on. The difference is that I can get stuff done, go to school, and hang out with friends, as opposed to not being able to get out of bed.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    therapy and swimming. lots of swimming. water comforts me. best of luck to you.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I have had Major Depressive Disorder since I was a kid; 44 now. I now use a low dose of medication, and am fortunate to be one of those for whom exercise helps tremendously. I found a program that I enjoy (lifting) several years ago, and was able to decrease my dose of meds shortly after.

Two additional things that do help me are: working with animals, which I'm fortunate to do in my morning job. And getting some sunshine. We added a pool a few years ago and being outside, even under a shade, has a noticeable effect on my general mood.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It took me a long time to find what works for me. Keep trying things, talking to therapists, asking questions. I hope it gets better for you.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Drugs manage my anxiety, more or less.

My Team Me helps manage my depression. Team Me includes my husband, family, friends, and even the supportive people around here who are willing to prop me up when I'm falling down. People I can count on to have my back and look out for me.

But there's no cure. Just ease of symptoms. And working a desk job is pretty crushing to me too, I feel ya there. I get some relief sometimes from sensory deprivation. When I have the funds, I go lay in space for a while and imagine myself as just a consciousness with no body, floating in a void.

Then I go home and cuddle under my 20 pound weighted blanket because both no sensation, and the feeling of being pressed down on, are very soothing to me for whatever reason.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    My cat helps, and horses. But other than that, I have found ways to keep my mind off things, or find more positive behaviors to engage in while my mind is still racing or sad depending on the day but few things significantly help. I am currently looking into getting a therapy dog.

Best of luck and lots of hugs.
  • SaraJ429
    Options
    My cat helps, and horses. But other than that, I have found ways to keep my mind off things, or find more positive behaviors to engage in while my mind is still racing or sad depending on the day but nothing that significantly helps. I am currently looking into getting a therapy dog.

Best of luck and lots of hugs.

What helps you redirect your focus and mind?
  • sammidelvecchio
    Options
    @Salemss1 puzzles, reading, cooking, napping, coloring. I do usually get distracted several times by my thoughts, but it is a lot different than hours with a racing mind. Walking outside has worked wonders for me. While I still battle with my mind on most walks, I can also see wildlife, there are other people around, I see a lot of dogs (smile), can listen to music, and putting a lot of energy into just being present and enjoying my surroundings seems to have made a big difference for me. I have also found a lot of podcasts I like to listen to while walking because its like I'm having a conversation with someone and keeps me focused on whatever the topic of the day is.

Of course there are nights I sit on my balcony with a glass of wine and just cry. But with my current therapist I am learning how to view this as therapeutic and a release of sadness, anger, emotion, etc and in turn hope it surfaces less often as nightmares, paranoia, etc. We'll see how that goes ;)
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I take Sertraline. I have also had to learn to recognize my triggers and effectively survive through the ones I can't avoid. I increasingly rebalance my priorities so that things I enjoy and that are good for my mental health often make the cut over more the of the "typical" tasks. It means my house is a little dirtier because I may choose to wait an extra week to dust furniture so I can read more, but I also don't let it slide into actually gross or unsanitary. The kitchen has become a huge trigger for my anxiety. As long as the dirty dishes are cleaned right away and the counters tidy, the rest of the house can be chaos with dog and toddler toys everywhere.
  • sammidelvecchio
    Options
    @Salemss1 I will also mention I made a huge lifestyle change last year. I quit my job. It was one of the best decisions I ever made and I haven't looked back since.
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It sounds very tough.. but it's good to hear you're managing in everyday life.

I've not had it as long as you and mine was brought on by stress and burnout. From my experience, and I know how it sounds, but magnesium citrate and vit b complex have helped greatly with getting relief for everyday anxiety.

When I get panic attacks (brought on by nothing in particular at whatever hour) then I go for a walk by the river. That walk is usually 15-20km long tho. I usually joke around that I have to tire myself like a dog so I don't jump out of my own skin. Sometimes I just listen to the sounds of the river, sometimes I put a podcast on. But in a nutshell, for anxiety, just getting the "bad" energy out as much as possible. Not only when I get panic attacks but most days (just not as long, maybe 8-10km) as I feel it building up inside when I stop walking for a couple of days.

I'm also trying to meditate but I don't see myself continuing with that. I'll give it a chance for a while tho.

I've managed to mostly get off the pills through this but obv I am able to at the moment as I have some more free time now. Not sure what it will be like when I get back to full time work.

You've said that you've tried a lot of things but I hope you find that one things that makes it easier.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    @Salemss1 I will also mention I made a huge lifestyle change last year. I quit my job. It was one of the best decisions I ever made and I haven't looked back since.

Good for you! Changing jobs was by far the best thing I have done for my mental health.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from anxiety and depression for many years. Since I started eating healthy and exercising it has drastically improved, especially running and yoga. Of course my dog and cat also play a positive part in my mental health.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You describe a lot of the symptoms of adhd - trouble concentrating, feeling trapped, tedium, feeling antsy, unmotivated. Adhd brains find it hard to focus on something they're not interested in. Freq breaks help because they provide a dopamine burst. Read 'driven to distraction' by Hallowell to see if it fits you. Anxiety/depression are common co-morbidities. ADHD can manifest in a quiet way that teachers and docs miss. The impulsivity can be impulsivity of thought not necessarily your body. Follow @erynnbrook and @danidonovan on Twitter if you want better descs of what it can look and feel like.
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to vaguely mention products in the course of this response. I am not trying to sell these products to you. I just literally cannot tell this story without mentioning them. I relate to your story enough that I can neither not respond nor can I leave out a part of my own recovery. Ugh, please no one report me since I don't know how else to do this, and I like it here.

I had really crippling depression and anxiety, into early this year. I was picking holes into my own skin, obsessively. I couldn't sleep. My thoughts were dark. My mother-in-law passed away, and the only way I could travel with my husband -- my face full of scabs -- was with prescription drugs, and I still couldn't attend family events.

I own a business, and couldn't function there. I wept in my medical provider's office. My husband believed I wouldn't be around much longer, and I believed that too. I mean, if it all ends in death, and the world is getting worse, what's the point? You can see I would have been fun at parties of anyone could have forced me to attend a party.

I kept thinking if I knew a way to rise out of this mess -- where people would tell me to stop picking at myself when I didn't realize I was -- I would, but I couldn't figure it out.

Antidepressants kicked in enough to get me out of bed. And one of my employees mentioned products she was taking. Gut health, blood sugar regulation... Those helped. I continue to take them.

I'm not saying they fixed everything, but they got me to a place where I could function, and make better choices for myself. They were my path, I'm not saying they have to be yours, or that my reasons why are yours. What I am suggesting is that some of your issue could be gut health related, and that at least looking at dietary changes involving prebiotics, probiotics, and trying to limit sugar might get you to a place where your symptoms reduce enough so that you can keep making positive changes. I say dietary because your path could be through the produce aisle. There is no version of this where you don't have to put in effort, and no version of this where you can only succeed by mimicking me.

I drink an ocean of water every day, I go to ridiculous lengths to get a good night sleep, I set healthy boundaries with people, and I sometimes go on ahead and put myself first. I take my dogs for tons of walks, which always makes me happier, and yet we don't always to the things that make us happier, do we? :)

I am in a much different place now, a place I doubted only a short while ago I would reach. I have trouble imagining how my thoughts got so dark, and yet I am careful to not go back there. People are freaked out, including diners at my restaurant, at the changes in me. My anxiety, while not gone, is reduced into what is probably a normal range. I still have prescription anxiety meds I haven't touched in months. My antidepressant is at a low dose. I gave away my, um, brownies. I effortlessly make small talk. Sometimes I realize I'm smiling.

A friend of ours asked my husband what it was like getting his wife back, and he cried. Sure he would love me sharing that! The nurse practitioner I see is floored.

I guess the most important thing to take away from this is to cling to the idea what it can get better, even if you don't quite know how yet. If you keep taking care of yourself, it's harder for the darkness to get a hold of you, because every positive step down fairly consistently is a rebuke of the thoughts that want to pull you down.
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @Salemss1 puzzles, reading, cooking, napping, coloring. I do usually get distracted several times by my thoughts, but it is a lot different than hours with a racing mind. Walking outside has worked wonders for me. While I still battle with my mind on most walks, I can also see wildlife, there are other people around, I see a lot of dogs (smile), can listen to music, and putting a lot of energy into just being present and enjoying my surroundings seems to have made a big difference for me. I have also found a lot of podcasts I like to listen to while walking because its like I'm having a conversation with someone and keeps me focused on whatever the topic of the day is.

Of course there are nights I sit on my balcony with a glass of wine and just cry. But with my current therapist I am learning how to view this as therapeutic and a release of sadness, anger, emotion, etc and in turn hope it surfaces less often as nightmares, paranoia, etc. We'll see how that goes ;)

Yes! So much of this, including coloring. Especially getting out in nature. Although, the place where I live is a frozen tundra more months than not. LOL!