kids dinners

Options
sonilac
sonilac Posts: 55 Member
What are some family meals that are favorites for adults and children? My kids are growing up and sometimes they get picky with food so i find myself cooking a bit extra to make everyone happy. I love those meals that are a favorite for everyone, makes it easier on me in the evening. Thank you in advance for sharing.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    hot dogs and mac & cheese

chili

cheeseburgers or cheeseburger soup

pizza
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    Kids love lasagna cupcakes in my experience. They also love helping to assemble these. Can't find the recipe I normally use, but round gyoza wrappers look neater than square wonton wrappers. Both are available from the deep freeze section of an Asian grocer. I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta because that is easier to source. I just sprinkle tops with grated cheddar instead of parmesan.

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/lasagna-cupcakes/973c5603-c1e4-4790-9e6a-aef378332ef2
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The consistent favourites amongst adults and children alike:
    • Chicken schnitzel
    • Lamb chops & sausages
    • Roasts
    • Cheese pizzas
    • Meatloaf, meatballs, burgers
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Slow cooker beef & broccoli (I like to add sliced carrots too): https://therecipecritic.com/slow-cooker-beef-and-broccoli/ Also freezes well if you leave the broccoli out, then just heat up a bag of frozen broccoli when you reheat.

Mini-meatloaves (here is the meatloaf recipe I like, but cook them in muffin pan instead - already pre-portioned for you and bakes a lot faster). Comes out great with the lean 93/7 ground beef as it stays moist! https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20673/glazed-meatloaf-ii/ These also freeze well, but make sure to make and freeze some extra sauce!

Slow cooker pot roast - I add potatoes and an onion, not just the carrots. I often serve with some thawed mixed veggies stirred in too because the gravy makes it all tasty: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/218547/slow-cooker-pot-roast/

Baked chicken parmesan: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/baked-panko-chicken-parmesan-506787

Turkey tacos (ground turkey with taco seasoning) - they can top with whatever they like, so that satisfies everyone usually.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti. It's easy to make and most people like it. It's also easy to eat more or fewer noodles, use different noodles, add veggies and/or meat, etc. depending on everyone's needs/preferences.
  • alcu5885
    alcu5885 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tacos and homemade pizza are the thing!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What sorts of foods do your kids like? What do the adults like?
    Any particular allergies, restrictions or aversions?

• dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have really picky eaters, age 2 and 4. Some of the things that have worked for me:
    I have switched all pasta to whole wheat.
    Stir fried rice with lots of veggies mixed in is a hit in my house, they each pick out their favorite veggies and it becomes like a hidden object game.
    I mix in little chunks of the frozen cauliflower to mac and cheese, or anything with a sauce really.
    Switched to turkey hot dogs.
    Meatloaf with lots of shredded veggies hidden in it (carrots and zucchini mainly).

My boys love soup or stews. Our number one favorite is Green pepper ground beef soup. It's just 2 diced green peppers, 1 diced onion, saute those in a little oil in a soup pot, brown 1 lb of ground beef/drain/add to soup pot, add in 1 drained can of corn 1 drained can of cut green beans and 1 can of diced tomatoes, 3 cups of beef broth, 2 TBS of oregano and some salt and pepper. Boil for about 10 mins.

The kids like to add cheddar cheese to theirs, my husband likes parm cheese, and I like balsamic vinegar.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Burger night at our house is 93% ground beef, Ore Ida Fast Food Fries, and a smoothie with almond milk and a little juice, spinach, Greek yogurt, and frozen strawberries or peaches.

The other night, I made a dish with Johnsonville Italian chicken sausage, onion, yellow pepper, zucchini, Ragu light alfredo sauce, and pasta.

One-pot meals are the go-to at our house. Even though my son has some sensory issues with foods, he's grown to accept virtually anything diced up, cooked thoroughly, & mixed with pasta with shredded cheese on top. Often, I'll keep the pasta separate, because my hubby would rather use calories on ice cream than pasta, so he'll just eat the meat/veggie skillet combo. We're also big on soup.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm mean, I just make what I want to make and they can eat it or not. This week I made spaghetti and tacos. The steak tacos were a good meal for my 3 year old. I gave him a rolled up tortilla with cheese in it (his idea, I don't know, he likes it) and then plopped some refried beans, steak, and guacamole on his plate and he gobbled it up.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Kids love lasagna cupcakes in my experience. They also love helping to assemble these. Can't find the recipe I normally use, but round gyoza wrappers look neater than square wonton wrappers. Both are available from the deep freeze section of an Asian grocer. I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta because that is easier to source. I just sprinkle tops with grated cheddar instead of parmesan.

https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/lasagna-cupcakes/973c5603-c1e4-4790-9e6a-aef378332ef2

I normally would serve lasagna cupcakes with a green salad, but if you need to hide vegetables for the kids mix grated carrot and zucchini and finely diced celery into the tomato meat sauce.
  • sonilac
    sonilac Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the ideas!! I'll give these a try in the next couple of days:)
  • biggiwig4483
    biggiwig4483 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The typical german dinner: bread, cheese, lunchmeat, pickles or tomatoes.