I need help taking the first step...

Options
Hello, everyone! My body wants to exercise but I'm having trouble starting! I'm 49 and have been overweight for most of the last 20 years. I'm 5'2" and today the scaled said 187. 187?! I was down to 175 just a couple months ago! Now I feel like I'm constantly wearing an inner tube and I can't stand it anymore! I can't afford a gym membership but there's plenty I can do at home.... but what? I would like to have a schedule, like Mondays are legs, Tuesday cardio, Wednesday abs, etc. There are so many apps, online courses and YouTube videos that offer those things but I'm having a hard time choosing which route to go. I'm a little (ok, a LOT) obsessive about researching something thoroughly before committing and that's causing a real problem here. I can't seem to just pick something - anything! - and just do it. I could really use some inspiration! Thanks!

Replies

• spraytanninghelens
    spraytanninghelens Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I can relate as I tend to spend so much time researching that it can get a bit confusing taking in so much info.

I would start by a calorie deficit, and making sure you do some exercise you enjoy and go from there. What do you like to do? Yoga, weights, run, cardio?

Find a few you tube channels of some fitness and follow some. Get yourself a little book and log it all down and know exactly what you will be doing for that specific day.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. Go out your door and walk for 15 minutes, then turn around and come home. Do that every day. 3 days a week try out different you-tube videos. See what appeals: yoga, pilates, zumba, aerobics, etc.
  • teeenabeana
    teeenabeana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with the walking. Changing up your routine too much all at once can be a shock and hard to keep up. I would start with tracking your calories on here and going on walk a few times a week and build up. You can start with 15 minutes and then in a couple weeks go to 30 minutes. That's how I started to lose weight!
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    You could just tracking your calorie intake. Weight loss is created by a deficit and exercise is for health.

^^^^^THIS! Exercise will give you many health benefits, but if you want to lose weight, it's 80% about calorie intake. Period.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Put on your shoes and take the first step :)
  • duteshredded
    duteshredded Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Diet will be the biggest determining factor for weight loss so I’d worry more About at that than what training you’re going to do, I’d say simply start with a calorie calculator with weight loss as the goal and start eating whole foods that you enjoy to make up them calories as you will feel better on them as well as helping you feel a lot fuller than calorie Dense processed foods.

As you’re limited without a gym I’d say literally just pick a routine you can see yourself doing and have the ability to do with the choice of exercises required and your own level of fitness for them and just stick at it
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The Nike Training app is pretty good! You should check that out! Lots of options for different workouts with videos to show you how they are done too
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. Go out your door and walk for 15 minutes, then turn around and come home. Do that every day. 3 days a week try out different you-tube videos. See what appeals: yoga, pilates, zumba, aerobics, etc.

This!

Make a list of things to try and keep trying until you find something you enjoy.

Fitness blender is a good place to start.