Questions about fatigue, too much exercise, small weight gain

Options
Hi!

A few months ago I stopped eating meat and started down the path of attempting to become a vegetarian. No particular reason, just basically to see if I could do it since I've always wanted to try it. So far I'm doing well and love it. I have replaced meat with the different types of Quorn products. They are so good! I've also been taking B-12 lozenges since I'm not getting it from meat.

I'll try to give the cliff notes for my questions because I know that no one likes reading long boring stories. :wink:

Exercise background:
- I exercise every morning at o'dark:30 on my Bowflex Max Trainer (cross between stair stepper and elliptical. It beats you within an inch of your life believe me) (doing this 3 years now)
-After that I walk 2 miles around the neighborhood (started this a few months ago)
-Sometimes I do a very short bike ride after that for the breeze
-Go to work by 7am, lol.
-At the end of the day I recently started taking a 3 mile bike ride around the block (3 weeks)

Lately I've felt a lot of fatigue during the day and not sure if I'm over exercising (hope not!), not eating enough (feel like I am), or if it's related to no meat. Again I'm taking B-12.
I've also gained close to 5 lbs all of a sudden over the past week or so which is why I'm wondering if it's exercise related. Water?

My stats are 37 male (two more weeks, ugh), 6'0 & 145 lbs. I've been eating around 1850 calories per day including exercise.

Yes I'm aware that is heading towards the lower end of the weight scale for my height. And yes I am indeed ever so slightly obsessed with my exercise routines, counting calories, etc. (which I will keep an eye on) so I'm hoping for an easy solution. Any suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Replies

• chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water weight, an increase in exercise can do that. Meat replacements also have a lot of sodium, so that could do it too on the water retention front. For the fatigue, are you eating back your exercise calories? You might consider slowly increasing calories until you feel better. Have you cut out all animal products (including dairy) or just meat? Only vegans need to supplement with b12 - if you're still eating animal products of some sort, you should be getting enough b12. The supplements won't hurt, but they won't help your fatigue either. I'm thinking you might just need more calories to fuel your workouts.

I generally eat 1/2 of the exercise calories back, and I do eat goat cheese daily. I had read that if you had a B-12 deficiency that could cause more energy but you're right, I've felt no increase.
  • mgodniak2106
    mgodniak2106 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not very experienced in the subject of fitness, weight loss or gain for that matter, but even I know you have to take a rest day! I myself have quite an active job and I exercise 5-6times a week (calisthenics, martial arts, obstacle course training) aiming for 6, but I have days where I feel completely deflated and take extra days off from training. Even though I feel guilty, my body is my temple and I know that if I don't look after it and I don't rest, it will come back to bite me in the backend. If I get injured or sick because my immune system has crashed I will lose a lot more days of training than one day per week. Think about it!
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    UPDATE:

Well, here's a quick update for everyone. It seems that something has caught up to me because not only have I gained about 6 lbs + or - a few over the past few weeks, this weekend my ankles and calves were very swollen. I could probably write my name in the indentations. They've reduced a little today thankfully, but my belly is still poking out a little bit and I noticed my face must be a little puffy because I lost my cheek bones. And my clothes feel snug today! Needless to say I'm not a happy camper.

As everyone has already mentioned, I can only think of two recent changes that may have caused this. My daily Max Trainer exercise hasn't changed in several years, but I added morning walks (2 miles) about 6 months ago and then daily bike rides (3-4 miles) about a month or so ago. Maybe the bike rides are giving me too much sun, as I do that part in the evening heat of the day after work?

So does this sound like over-exercise? For the next few days or so I'm only going to continue my Max Trainer and cut out the walks and bike rides to see if that reverses things.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you definitely need to incorporate regular rest days as part of your plan, at least one day a week. Rest is when your body takes advantage of the exercise you have done to build muscle and make other adaptations. No rest means your not getting the full benefit of all the training you are doing. At your weight, you should make your plan to optimize health and fitness, and let weight sort itself out. Think like an athlete, not a dieter! This one concept revolutionized my own approach to health and fitness. A relaxed pace walk is fine to do on a rest day, as a form of active rest, but certainly take a break from the Max Trainer. If your vegetarian diet is whole food based and varied, it should provide all the energy you need, many world class athletes are vegetarian. But on your weekly rest day(s) I would highly recommend eating at full TDEE, preferably slightly above, to give your body a break both from exercise and the calorie deficit. Your body will thank you!

PS: I have been at this over ten years, and I too am at the lower end of the BMI healthy weight range, and I'm somewhat obsessed with all the metrics involving diet and exercise. In itself, that's all ok, but one can certainly go too far with it. But you can use the obsession to layout a health and fitness plan rather than a diet plan and this will mean adding rest, introducing some variety to the the Max Trainer, viewing food as an energy source, and other healthy changes to your current plan. Exercise, rest, logging - balance in all things is crucial to long term success!