Sugar

Options
What sugars did you substitute that is safe to us for cooking and for liquids such as tea.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I don't really use sugar in cooking much (unless I'm making a dessert which I really only do on special occasions), and don't put it in tea or coffee, never did.

What are you cooking with sugar? That would matter for the answer. If a dessert type item, you could google alternatives with artificial sugars and try them out to see what you like. Or, you could just make such items less often or eat less of them. Sugar is not "unsafe," it's just easy to overeat for many, mainly when combined with fat and other tasty ingredients. (If T2D, however, you'd want to watch all non fiber carbs and that would affect what dessert type items would be workable.)

For tea, again if T2D you would want to explore sugar alternatives, but a teaspoon of sugar doesn't have a lot of cals, so if you use a reasonable amount and really like the sugar, no need to stop using it.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    For cooking (generally sauces) i will omit the sugar or use a very little bit of honey or maple sirop.

My mom uses honey in her coffee. I personally only use milk in mine.

baking i often just reduce the sugar asked for. However, I have many desserts that use maple sirop, honey, brown sugar, coconut sugar. sometimes you can use apple sauce.

I've tried truvia but never came to like it so i don't use it. I also don't think white sugar is "bad or processed" any more than the other sugars.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    For hot tea, I like Truvia, but it’s really sweet so I don’t sub tsp for tsp. More like 1/4, or 1/8 tsp. For iced tea, I usually buy diet. If I make my own, I do cold brew in the refrigerator and use the same amount of truvia as for hot tea. Black coffee drinker, so not an issue.I only bake at Christmas or for special occasions, so it’s real sugar then.
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Stevia
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Erythritol for cooking/baking. I prefer my tea unsweetened so I can't vouch for how this would taste.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Date syrup or maple syrup
  • Trulyjooly
    Trulyjooly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Monk Fruit!!! (Or a tiny bit of real maple syrup said the Vermont girl)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Uhhh stevia, splenda, aspartame....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Of all the ones i love, i prefer swerve. The confectioners sugar is great for cold items as it dissolves easily.
  • emorrell21
    emorrell21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use erythritol in my coffee. I think strvia is gross but erythritol has a much better flavour.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Can't comment myself on liquids such as tea/coffee as I have mine unsweetened.

Husband changed from having sugar in tea to having Equal tablets
    Not sure active ingredient but he finds taste quite good
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Actually sometimes I have honey in black herbal teas.

Purely for taste reasons, I realise honey is just a form of sugar and just as high in calories.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,579 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Splenda but have been trying alternatives that are more natural. Monk fruit has the best flavor so far.