How do you effectively manage your depression & anxiety?

Options
2»

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    CBT-based therapies. I did talk therapy, and while it was nice to hash things out I didn't find it gave me anything productive. I completed a 14-week program for my anxiety and it helped a ton, the psychiatrist gave me a lot of tools and strategies that I can actually use and have been using. Now I'm doing a 14-week group CBT therapy for depression, only a couple sessions into it but so far I got more out of it than talking to someone. The activities suggested are great if you can do them, sometimes that can be really hard with depression messing with your mind.
  • jojomariemfp
    jojomariemfp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have friends who swear by CBD oil. Says like 3 drops a day did better than any prescription anxiety medicines they ever took. Not for me, but maybe you could check it out.
  • morganjw1
    morganjw1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've been dealing with depression (Diagnosed) for about 15 years and it's a horrible, horrible daily battle. Most days are good but even with meds and exercise I still have bad days. I take Welbutrin every day but by far, for me, the best "drug" is exercise. 95% of my exercise is outside so that I benefit from both the exercise and the sun. Fortunately for me, I get a true "high" from exercise to the point that I'm super amped up for a couple of hours after exercising. I too work a desk job and while it may just be my opinion, or what works for me but I feel that it's absolutely essential to get outside as much as possible to absorb some natural vitamin D from the sun. Another issue that drives my depression is my sleep patterns. For years I've had issues with sleep and on normal nights I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours of uninterrupted sleep and usually no more than 5-6 total hours at best. I wish I knew how to fix this but it seems to be my cross to bear.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    CBD oil helps with anxiety and depression immensely. I use CBD oil every day and it's helped a lot. I also do meditation whenever I can.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    medication. it took years to find the right one but so far this one is working.
    i have not found diet or exercise helps but i do feel overall(not just mood) better if i eat a well balanced diet.
    my dogs help. aerial yoga helps. because it's easy to track accomplishments even if i'm not great at it.
    nature helps me find a sense of peace.
    i tried therapy and i don't know how much i liked it. but i have very supportive friends
    i found one of the big things is to have supportive, nonenergy draining people in my life.
    i work in an office and it can be hard. but it's a means to an end and that makes it bearable
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    A lot of the things you can try to help yourself cope better will be down to personal preferences. I can only speak for some of the things that helped me and as cliche as it may sound, one of those things is working out. Gym time is my time, it's a mental break from everything. Team sports (for me, football) is another thing that helped. I also used to read a ton of fiction books (epic fantasy novels) that took me away from everything in the real world for a bit. All of these things were there for respite. As well as that, the basics such as removing (some) social media, not overindulging on TV and cleaning up my eating habits helped massively. Sleep is also so so crucial and probably the hardest thing to resolve.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i found one of the big things is to have supportive, nonenergy draining people in my life.

This is important. I have also started setting more boundaries, and ending relationships over the last 3 years. I also deleted facebook entirely and am very selective about the pages I follow on Instagram.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Exercise!! I have found that working up a good sweat, getting my blood flowing, challenging my body and mind with new types of workouts (boxing, yoga, running, calisthenics.....) works wonders. Followed by a nice, invigorating cool shower - I am ready to face anything - with rosy cheeks to boot!! This is just my own experience and opinion - I am not a doctor :/
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

At my worst, the only thing that kept me going is the knowledge that my cats need me.

Me too, *hugs* <3
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

At my worst, the only thing that kept me going is the knowledge that my cats need me.

Me too, *hugs* <3

Nothing like soft fur to absorb the tears as well as getting the stinkeye when you do hug them. Comic relief.
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My pets keep saving me.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    My pets keep saving me.

Me too. I am now returning the favor by fostering kittens for my local Humane Society. Talk about comic relief.
  • MichelleMinn
    Options
    My pets keep saving me.

Me too. I am now returning the favor by fostering kittens for my local Humane Society. Talk about comic relief.

Love it! I ended up working at a humane society where I started out as a volunteer. Eventually, after years, the emotions got to be too much and I burned out, but volunteers are crucial!

Even though working at the shelter took a toll on me, I still miss it, and think it's the best thing I've ever done.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    1.) Yoga
    2.) Music (create playlists for my mood or for what mood I WANT to be in)
    3.) Meditate, prayer
    4.) Meds-yup, I went there.
    5.) Journal, read books (Try "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown and "Outrageous Openness" by Tosha Silver)
    6.) Medical Marijuana if I need it. And yup...it works great especially for my anxiety if you use the right kind and if it's legal in your state (it is in mine).
  • earlnabby
    Options
    My pets keep saving me.

Love it! I ended up working at a humane society where I started out as a volunteer. Eventually, after years, the emotions got to be too much and I burned out, but volunteers are crucial!

Even though working at the shelter took a toll on me, I still miss it, and think it's the best thing I've ever done.

I volunteered at the shelter for a short time but had a problem with seeing the pets in kennels which did not help me emotionally. I am doing much better with fostering kittens in my own home. It is bittersweet to say goodbye to them but wonderful knowing that they find homes very quickly. The longest any of my fosters has taken was a week, and that was because he was at a PetSmart remote adoption site.

OP, I hope you don't think we are hijacking your thread. Our discussion really is about one thing that helps us. I hope you can take inspiration from it and find something that inspires you; whether it be volunteer work, caring for a pet, or anything that gives you pleasure and helps you feel like you are not worthless.
  • MichelleMinn
    Options
    Yes, this is really about coping with anxiety and triggers. I left shelter work because of anxiety and depression, but I still have a deep connection with rescuing. I named my restaurant after a puppy mill survivor I adopted. You knew volunteering in the shelter was not a good match, and so you foster, which is incredible.

There's a certain age in kittenhood where they look to me like they're wearing furry little jammies, and that's just delightful. Now I'm thinking of kittens in a conga line wearing pajamas.
  • SaraJ429
    SaraJ429 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My pets keep saving me.

I volunteered at the shelter for a short time but had a problem with seeing the pets in kennels which did not help me emotionally. I am doing much better with fostering kittens in my own home. It is bittersweet to say goodbye to them but wonderful knowing that they find homes very quickly. The longest any of my fosters has taken was a week, and that was because he was at a PetSmart remote adoption site.

OP, I hope you don't think we are hijacking your thread. Our discussion really is about one thing that helps us. I hope you can take inspiration from it and find something that inspires you; whether it be volunteer work, caring for a pet, or anything that gives you pleasure and helps you feel like you are not worthless.

No not at all! I really really appreciate all of the comments and suggestions.

To address some questions I see in here - I DO exercise plenty (at least 4-5x a week) and it frankly doesn’t help much ☹️ I used to regularly lift weights and do CrossFit but found that it actually tends to make my anxiety even worse for whatever reason. I now shifted to outside runs, yoga and Pilates and that seems to be a much better fit. I am also sure to get plenty of sun on a regular basis. I am outside as much as possible.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Salemss1 wrote: »
    My pets keep saving me.

No not at all! I really really appreciate all of the comments and suggestions.

To address some questions I see in here - I DO exercise plenty (at least 4-5x a week) and it frankly doesn’t help much ☹️ I used to regularly lift weights and do CrossFit but found that it actually tends to make my anxiety even worse for whatever reason. I now shifted to outside runs, yoga and Pilates and that seems to be a much better fit. I am also sure to get plenty of sun on a regular basis. I am outside as much as possible.

Yes I've noticed that if I exercise to extreme and hard intensity it make my anxiety really bad and it lasts all day/night! I just stick to walking,light jogging and some weights
  • jfdi6960
    jfdi6960 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Keeping active, medication, trying not to push myself too hard. Finding things that make you feel good and doing more of them, for me: dog walking, trying new artistic pursuits, meeting people and taking part in activities and social events