Struggling :-(

Have had a very bad few months. Now want to get back on track with eating and fitness but feeling grotty. Planned lunches and dinners and exercise for the next couple of weeks. Don't know what to do to spur myself on. Feel like giving up before I've started. Anyone any good ideas for making this feel a bit more fun?
Thanks

Replies

• jfdi6960
    jfdi6960 Posts: 76 Member
    edited June 2019
    Thanks Terytha
    and quiksylver296

I am just under a 'milestone' weight now, so that's been a good impetus for me. Need to find another one to aim for I guess that is small enough to reach fairly quickly
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    good luck!

remember you don't need to be perfect. nor do you need to jump on 100% on all levels day 1 or week 1. if you plan just your breakfast for most days and a few lunches and dinners that's a start. park a little farther and walk a bit more. one day at the gym if you must no need for daily.. Don't let thinking you have to be perfect and all derail you. every step helps.
  • bjhnsn75
    bjhnsn75 Posts: 1 Member
    1.) Listen to audiobooks while you walk/exercise (Most public Libraries participate in Overdrive).
    2.) Put in your favorite movie while you workout (you can passively watch/listen)
    3.) Find an odd time to workout. Example, if you're a morning person, try exercising at noon or 2 pm. Your energy/motivation may be different.
    4.) Grab a friend!

I hope that helps.
  • marialba67
    marialba67 Posts: 79 Member
    Find a reward system that works for you. If you're into beauty, a manicure or a pedicure (particularly good if you walk a lot), or a new lipstick. Or a new album, or audiobook.

My personal goal that I am working towards is this shirt:

23624855.png

Best of luck!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited June 2019
    It helps me to remember that feeling like it is optional. If I keep doing the work, regardless of how I feel in the moment, I will get results. And once I start doing the work, it gets to be more fun.

How to Get Motivated When You Don’t Feel Like It
    How to Get 1% Better Every Day

My suggestion would be to start small and build your way up. Panini911 is right on target. I started off by having breakfast be planned and healthy, and then started adding lunches, etc.

Keep experimenting with what works for you, and hang in there!
  • jfdi6960
    love all these ideas, thank you!
  • jfdi6960
    I have a mini goal in mind (weight) if I reach it by 15th July I am going to get myself a manicure - my nails are getting too long
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited June 2019
    Just go through the motions.. I find the motivation and excitement comes back. Stick with it.. you're doing great.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I try to remember that my motivation (or lack of it) has little impact on how good my workout is. I’ve forced myself to go to my workout after work and then had an awesome workout. Other times, I’m feeling great and the workout was mediocre at best. My new motto is: just show up. Once I’m there, I know I’ll give it a good effort. Not showing up is not an option.
    You’re doing great!!
  • jfdi6960
    Thank you. Just keep turning up
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Panini911 wrote: »
    good luck!

remember you don't need to be perfect. nor do you need to jump on 100% on all levels day 1 or week 1. if you plan just your breakfast for most days and a few lunches and dinners that's a start. park a little farther and walk a bit more. one day at the gym if you must no need for daily.. Don't let thinking you have to be perfect and all derail you. every step helps.

^^This! I finally let go of my “all or nothing” mindset. Consistency in the long term WORKS. if you’re over calories for a few days or a week it doesn’t matter, as long as you go back to eating at a deficit and DO NOT QUIT. It might take longer, but it WILL happen. Go read the Success Stories board for motivation and proof. You can do it!
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Try not to focus too far in the future. One day at a time. Before you know it the days will add up and you'll see some real positive changes. You got this!
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    It's like a game to me. Every pound lost is a level up. My macros and micros are my stats. If I eat too much, I take penalties to my strength.

I'm a huge nerd, so this is probably just me. But the best way to make it feel less crappy is to reframe it in your mind as anything other than a tired chore.

I love this by the way.....I never thought of it like that and this could be a cool way to think about it....
  • McKnittypants
    McKnittypants Posts: 17 Member
    These posts are helping me so much guys. Thank you for that. I'm sitting here in the bathtub, ready to cry my eyes out because I feel so frustrated with myself, my weight. I'm a serial starter, and by the end of the day I've overdone it again; I swear I'm smarter than this. Reading all of this goodness is allowing me to breathe.
  • McKnittypants
    McKnittypants Posts: 17 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    It's like a game to me. Every pound lost is a level up. My macros and micros are my stats. If I eat too much, I take penalties to my strength.

I'm a huge nerd, so this is probably just me. But the best way to make it feel less crappy is to reframe it in your mind as anything other than a tired chore.

This is amazing idea. I'm an old school DnD gal myself and this really gets me psyched--level up!
  • jfdi6960
    When I am bored I get impatient. Need something else to think about. Work is toooo quiet at the moment