Insatiable Hunger From Lifting?

Options
I've been doing really good up to this point. Around 5'5 or 5'4 and 125 pounds on heaviest days. Goal is 115 as I have stubborn thigh fat, losing weight mostly for aesthetics now. I've started increasing my lifting routine at the gym and at home, mostly focusing on legs, and my hunger has gone through the roof! I'm used to some days where I'm ravenous but could usually reign myself back in the next day and be fine again. I'm aiming for 1330 cals a day plus any I burn with cardio but not any I burn from lifting and end up eating over that almost every single day. I'm afraid my weight is going to start creeping up again at this point. I'm eating whole30 at the moment so no processed foods and sugars. I mostly over eat on cashews, coconut manna, and fruits, my weaknesses at the moment. I saw 119 for a fleeting moment so I know my goal is achievable but I've gone back up to 125. What did you do to stop the extreme hunger?

Replies

• EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    This is an issue for me as well. I've found that a combination of eating small, frequent, high-protein meals/snacks, ensuring I get plenty of water and protein overall daily, and about once a week planning a high-calorie day help a great deal. That one day does slow my weight loss, but with lifting it ends up being body recomp anyway. It also keeps me sane and feeling strong.

I hope this helps you!
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, middle aged, following Strong Curves four days a week, mild cardio on the other three days. Eating 2600+ calories a day and barely gaining weight! I'm bulking and almost at 125 lbs.

Yes, I am ravenous after lifting and simply would lose weight anywhere under 2400 calories.

I suspect you can eat more than you think before gaining weight!

Protein helps me feel fuller longer btw. I aim for 130 gr a day.
  • 33bbcc33
    33bbcc33 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    @pyrusangeles @Anna28518 thanks for the replies. I figured protein might be a factor and definitely need to up how much of that I'm eating and more often too! Probably up the calorie limit a bit too.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm always a lot hungrier on lift days too. I always eat at maintenance on lifting days, or even a couple hundred over.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's a serious problem.
    I run a lot. Running does not spur the same hunger. Not at all.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I increased protein. When I started progressing on my lifting, but it was still "new" I was very hungry. I would put protein in my coffee and eat a quest bar in the morning after lifting. Sometimes I would eat a poptart before lifting, lol. I was at a pretty low weight at that point, so extra calories were good. I also noticed when I first took up swimming I was also super hungry. But as my body gets used to the new exercise, the increased hunger seems to subside.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I eat the calories I earn from cardio on my lifting days. I also add in calories for lifting which come to about 150 per hour and right in line with the MFP database.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I just go hungry on lifting days. When I was eating 1,600 calories a day, I was hungry all the time. Thank God that phase of my cut is over...
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I’m super hungry from lifting (doesn’t always happen) I up my protein and fiber for the day. I also drink a lot of water, I find it helps curb my hunger and I think a lot of times I am actually thirsty and not hungry.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I’m usually really hungry on heavy cardio days, like when I do a hard hike (even if I eat back all my estimated calories). I don’t have an increase in hunger when lifting. Interesting.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It has the opposite effect for me. My appetite tends to be suppressed for a while afterwards.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I’m usually really hungry on heavy cardio days, like when I do a hard hike (even if I eat back all my estimated calories). I don’t have an increase in hunger when lifting. Interesting.

It is interesting. Running completely suppresses my appetite.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Definitely up your protein. I have just started adding organic vegan protein powder after working out with weights. Two scoops has 20 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber. I got mine at Walmart. I would not add it to your daily calorie total. I also drink BCAAs during my workout. I buy Size Slim mango flavor on Amazon. I add extra water as it is sweet and chalky without enough water. These two things cut down on hunger because it gives your body what it needs to rebuild. They are both sweetened with Stevia. I am upping my chicken breast intake as I still can't seem to reach my protein goals. Good luck!
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do an extra protein powder on lifting days. Optimum Nutrition whey isolates, the chocolate one mixed with water isn't too bad. And I don't count it. Seems to do the trick
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You don’t count your protein powder? A scoop of mine is more than 100 calories. I definitely count it (and weigh it).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    33bbcc33 wrote: »
    I've been doing really good up to this point. Around 5'5 or 5'4 and 125 pounds on heaviest days. Goal is 115 as I have stubborn thigh fat, losing weight mostly for aesthetics now. I've started increasing my lifting routine at the gym and at home, mostly focusing on legs, and my hunger has gone through the roof! I'm used to some days where I'm ravenous but could usually reign myself back in the next day and be fine again. I'm aiming for 1330 cals a day plus any I burn with cardio but not any I burn from lifting and end up eating over that almost every single day. I'm afraid my weight is going to start creeping up again at this point. I'm eating whole30 at the moment so no processed foods and sugars. I mostly over eat on cashews, coconut manna, and fruits, my weaknesses at the moment. I saw 119 for a fleeting moment so I know my goal is achievable but I've gone back up to 125. What did you do to stop the extreme hunger?

If you are really kicking butt on the weights you may wish to reevaluate your goal weight as when you change your body composition you can carry more weight well.

Does someone have a link to that thread by the woman who gained weight and was fine with it due to recomp?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @quiksylver296 thought you might like to weigh in here.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

:)

I actually don't get crazy hungry from lifting. I don't know if it's because of my schedule or something else.

I'm up around 3:30, in the gym by 4:30, lift from 4:30 to 6:00. Then shower at the gym and at work by 7:00. Black coffee at work until I get hungry which is usually about 9:30 or 10:00.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I actually don't get crazy hungry from lifting. I don't know if it's because of my schedule or something else.

I'm up around 3:30, in the gym by 4:30, lift from 4:30 to 6:00. Then shower at the gym and at work by 7:00. Black coffee at work until I get hungry which is usually about 9:30 or 10:00.

@quiksylver296 sorry, I should have been more explicit:
    1. Did your ideal weight change as you lifted more?
    2. What do you think about the amount of calories the OP is eating?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

@quiksylver296 sorry, I should have been more explicit:
    1. Did your ideal weight change as you lifted more? Yes. My ideal weight now is about 15 pounds heavier than my original goal weight.
    2. What do you think about the amount of calories the OP is eating? I think that number of calories is likely low, as she is 5'4, at a healthy weight, and lifting heavy things. Maintenance calories minus 250 is my suggestion.

It was early when I answered before, and pre-coffee. ;) Better?