Pregnancy and weight loss

Options
I just found out I’m 6 weeks pregnant. I have lost 3 stones in the last five months and my aim was two stones away before I were to get pregnant so that has happened. Is there any reason why I couldn’t carry on losing weight in my first trimester. Has anyone lost weight during pregnancy at all? (Im eating 1500 calories a day )

Replies

• forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    PLEASE seek the medical advice of your personal OB. Even if someone says they are a nurse or doctor here, you should consult with your own personal OB who knows you and your medical history.

Congratulations on your little one!!! And congratulations on your weight loss to date!

Totally agree with this.
    Only your personal medical team should be giving you advice on this.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go with no. Ask your dr.
  • lexusjade
    lexusjade Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    What everyone else said, talk to your OB. I had a lot of weight to lose when I got pregnant (about 80 lbs). Without intentionally dieting, I lost 20 lbs throughout my 1st and 2nd trimester. My OB was OK with it but in the 3rd trimester, they had me intentionally increase my calories (only like 200 day) to eliminate the downward trend. I ended up delivering a net 18 lbs lower than my starting weight, and 6 weeks later was down a net 35 lbs. Of course the hunger of extended breastfeeding caused me to gain it back and then some! I nursed for 16 months.
  • aveen85
    aveen85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input, I know I should consult my midwife first but I don’t have one yet. You don’t get one till about 8-12 weeks so I was just seeing if anyone else had continued to lose weight or not. I’m going to carry on eating healthy and whatever will be will be ☺️
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I tried to continue dieting during pregnancy. Because being pregnant takes a huge toll on the body, I ended up with peri
    -partum cardiomyopathy (congestive heart failure). Which caused a 100 lb gain in water weight in less than a two months time (which deformed my body). Also spent the first month of being a mommy in the Intensive Care Unit!

You'll have plenty of time to lose weight after the arrival. And keeping up with an infant, then a toddler is a workout in its self!

If I could go back, I wouldn't have cared about my weight during pregnancy and enjoyed the old figure of speech "eating for two."
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    The biggest difficulty with losing weight while pregnant is that you need a lot more resources - nutrients as well as calories - while pregnant. So while you CAN lose weight, that typically means your body is NOT getting enough nutrients/calories to support your body ANd the baby.

So your body will take things from you to support the baby. which means you may be lower in nutrients to support your own health - like building muscles, maintaining good immune system and mental healthy, etc...

In my experience, unless there are a lot of weight issues to the point that it will endanger your health while pregnant, most responsible OB/GYN's don't recommend losing weight, although they may recommend trying to not gain quite as much weight as you might otherwise.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    The biggest difficulty with losing weight while pregnant is that you need a lot more resources - nutrients as well as calories - while pregnant. So while you CAN lose weight, that typically means your body is NOT getting enough nutrients/calories to support your body ANd the baby.

So your body will take things from you to support the baby. which means you may be lower in nutrients to support your own health - like building muscles, maintaining good immune system and mental healthy, etc...

In my experience, unless there are a lot of weight issues to the point that it will endanger your health while pregnant, most responsible OB/GYN's don't recommend losing weight, although they may recommend trying to not gain quite as much weight as you might otherwise.

Exactly!! That's what caused my heart failure. Because the body takes what it needs for the baby, my body was depleted of nutrients and electrolytes.

Going from 134 to 236 due to heart failure was depressing and dieting was not worth the risk.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I tried to continue dieting during pregnancy. Because being pregnant takes a huge toll on the body, I ended up with peri
    -partum cardiomyopathy (congestive heart failure). Which caused a 100 lb gain in water weight in less than a two months time (which deformed my body). Also spent the first month of being a mommy in the Intensive Care Unit!

You'll have plenty of time to lose weight after the arrival. And keeping up with an infant, then a toddler is a workout in its self!

If I could go back, I wouldn't have cared about my weight during pregnancy and enjoyed the old figure of speech "eating for two."

OMG- that must've been terrifying! If you don't mind me asking- did a Dr. tell you it was ok (dieting), but then it turned out it wasn't ok? I know sometimes you can do everything "right" and still bad things happen, but this is terrible. Hope you and the little one(s) are doing well now :blush:
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »

OMG- that must've been terrifying! If you don't mind me asking- did a Dr. tell you it was ok (dieting), but then it turned out it wasn't ok? I know sometimes you can do everything "right" and still bad things happen, but this is terrible. Hope you and the little one(s) are doing well now :blush:

I was in pretty good shape when I got pregnant. I was 5'8" at 134 lbs. I had been trying to get down below 130 before finding out I was pregnant. I didn't increase calorie intake. (1000-1200 a day). My dieting turned more into the mindset of I didn't want to gain weight during pregnancy.

The Doctors and mid-wife showed a little concern, because I was not gaining any weight during pregnancy. They kept telling me that it was okay to gain weight during pregnancy, that a 40 lb weight gain is average and expected.

But I was stubborn and more concerned with my appearance than my health. (Regrets)!!!