Starting in earnest

Options
I need to lose 40 pounds for my health and general well-being. I am starting low carb today. I have been trying to do keto but have had too many cheat moments and ended up gaining 5 pounds. Today, I begin in earnest. I'm aiming for fewer than 50 net carbs per day, and if I have to lower it, I will. Also, carbs will only come from vegetables and legumes. I'm trying to cut out 100% of grains and sugar, but seriously up my vegetable intake (hence the higher carb number). I am not following any super-strict plan as I'm trying to get my husband to do it as well, and he won't follow something to the letter. Dr. Hyman's Eat Fat, Get Thin is sort of my model.

Replies

• smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Sounds like you've got some serious motivation. You don't want to restrict your diet a great deal, because that can lead to burnouts and binges. Overly restricting yourself has the potential to make you miserable and, therefore, more likely to abandon your progress after a while (I'm speaking from experience).

Did your doctor specifically tell you to cut out 100% of grains and sugar? If not, there's no reason to limit your diet so drastically. Losing weight comes down to a calorie deficit, regardless of what you eat (including carbs). Some people prefer a low-carb way of eating because it allows them to stay fuller for longer, but fat loss is only about eating fewer calories than you burn. That's it. No food is “good” or “bad” for weight loss as long as you’re in a calorie deficit. You could lose weight eating only buttered donuts as long as you burn more calories than you consume. Unfortunately, because buttered donuts are very calorie-dense (a lot of calories for a small amount of food), you’d be pretty hungry often. Eating foods lower in calories allows you to eat more, so you stay fuller for longer. Eating only buttered donuts would also adversely affect your overall health after a while (not getting enough vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc.), but weight loss is all about calories – Eat fewer than you burn, in whatever form suits you, and you’ll lose weight.

I tend to do better with a higher carb diet (I don't get as hungry throughout the day), but many other people prefer a low-carb, high-protein/fat diet to help with their satiety, but that's all it's about - feeling full so you don't eat above your calorie limit.

Here's a great post to help you get started: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Good luck! A lot of great resources and people here to help you along the way :)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I was going to do keto but found that it didn't match closely enough to my food preferences, so it wouldn't have been sustainable.

Choose the plan that aligns with your likes/dislikes and you should do well.

Good luck with your journey.