Creative ways to increase protein without increasing fat

Options
I'm gluten free and have received no feedback on good gf protein powders, besides I prefer to eat my calories, I just find the act of chewing more fulfilling for this consumption when booze is not involved. That being said, as the title says I'm looking for creative ways to up my protein without increasing fat (I seem to go over in fat pretty consistently). I seriously need to increase my protein consumption if I'm ever going to maintain these beautiful muscles.
Forgot to mention I'm allergic to soy.

Replies

• cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    tofu is good. I make shakes with it instead of protien powder....
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Lean cuts of meat, like pork chops, eye of round steak, 96% fat free ground beef patties, ff cottage cheese, ff greek style yogurt, chicken breast, tuna, egg whites, cod fillets, shrimp.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    quinoa-you can do a lot of things with it too
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    meat?
  • TekkNin
    TekkNin Posts: 1
    Options
    If you're looking for a snack, beef jerky.
  • meowthania
    Options
    Have you looked into Kaizen brand protein? They sell it at Costco.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to mention that I'm allergic to soy.

Yeah, I could add a chicken breast or 99% ff turkey burger to my morning eggs . . . but I have rule against eating chicken with eggs . . . it makes me feel guilty.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem- I am trying to eat more protein but I go over a lot on fat. I have been eating a lot of chicken, fish, tuna, and fat free cottage cheese. Greek yogurt is also high in protein and low in fat but it's hard to get it where I live unfortunately. I am hoping to make a long term change in my eating habits, and for that reason mostly avoiding "fake" sources of protein like shakes and powders. Oh- and I drink a fair amount of skim milk. It has a pretty good ratio of protein to calories and no fat.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) is a soy based product which has 12g protein in each serving. It can be used as a replacement for ground meat. It comes dehydrated, and you add water to rehydrate it to make it softer and more meat like. It takes of the flavor of what you cook it with, much like tofu.

EDIT: darn, you posted the soy allergy right as I was typing this. I hope this helps someone else then?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I know, my gluten & soy free lifestyle is a huge pain in the *ss when trying to get advice, I have to go and make things difficult. Before I was diagnosed the generic whey protein powders were common place in our house. At least I'm no longer dairy free . . . that does tend to make things a teench easier.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Drink a couple glasses of Matcha! 1/4tblspoon 0 fat, 3 calories, 27mg of potassium and 1g of protein. It's not much, but if you drink 2-3 cups a day and double batch it, that's like 6 extra grams of of protein! You can also add the tea powder to drinks/shakes, ice cream, cakes....it really works with a lot.

http://www.domatcha.com/recipes/
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, split peas? You can use dried egg white powder instead of the whey/soy protein powders.
  • meowthania
    Options
    Oh, forgot to mention that I'm allergic to soy.

Almond Milk / almond flour!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can also get Quinoa flour
  • Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    Options
    most fas are good for you and it doesnt make you gain weight. a caloric surplus makes you gain weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Eat bugs? I say lean meats.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    quinoa-you can do a lot of things with it too
    Ditto, seriously.

I eat Quinoa, and Chia seed, too.

Well, the chia seed does have fat, but it's omega 3, which we need more of. Just don't eat a LOT of it.
    Quinoa is really good.
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Fish! Delightful, delectable FISH! Grill it, broil it, skillet sautee in a teeeeenincy bit of olive oil, blast on lemon pepper or chipotle or eat it RAW like SUSHI or wrap it in paper with spices and tequilla and roast it and make DRUNK FISH, or chop it fine with lemon juice and onions and make SEVICHE or or or ... +droool+ Like fish much Jon? :-)

And I just discovered Quorn, but I'm not sure its gluen free. But I like it in small amounts.

Not as much as fish, though. I know you're surprised.

Pj
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    Quinoa is really good for you and I love my Almond milk. I buy the Chocolate kind because I'm a chocolate-a-holic. When i drink this i don't crave chocolate anymore.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I could add a chicken breast or 99% ff turkey burger to my morning eggs . . . but I have rule against eating chicken with eggs . . . it makes me feel guilty.

LMAO!! I can just imagine-- all the wrong-ness!!

But seriously.. I'm interested in this topic too!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    beans, low-fat dairy and lean meats seem the logical choices.