Getting the most out of a workout

Options
My gym opens at 6:00am and so I'm on the treadmill at 6:05. I have been running (if you can call it that) for 35 minutes or so and then go lift weights for about 20 minutes. My question is would I be better off just staying on the treadmill for the extra 20 minutes? Work starts at 8:00 but I like to get there a little early so working out longer isn't an option. My goal is weight loss but I do need to do some weight training too. Maybe I should lose the weight first and then focus on adding weights? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My gym opens at 6:00am and so I'm on the treadmill at 6:05. I have been running (if you can call it that) for 35 minutes or so and then go lift weights for about 20 minutes. My question is would I be better off just staying on the treadmill for the extra 20 minutes? Work starts at 8:00 but I like to get there a little early so working out longer isn't an option. My goal is weight loss but I do need to do some weight training too. Maybe I should lose the weight first and then focus on adding weights? What are your thoughts?
  • ggooding12
    Options
    I wondered that myself. Then I learned that weight training helps you burn calories in the long run also. Make sure you do cardio before weight training though. You need to get your heart rate up to be most effective.
  • Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I listened to Jillian Micheals today on KFIAM640 and she said you actually burn more lifting weights but that cardio is definitely important for weight loss as well. From what she said, if you lift weights alternating between the top and bottom halves of your body for a half hour, you burn the same amount as if you ran a 6 min mile, so really pick your poison. But do cardio five times a week.
  • shalinik78
    Options
    hmmm ....well I am also in your situation but I was told by my fitness guide that resistance exercises ( weights and all ) help in building stronger muscles , which in turn help burning more calories by our body when we do cardio. I guess you are doing good by dividing the time into both :) Just keep going - soon u shall see the results :D
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Keep doing both!!
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I agree, you should keep doing both!! The more muscle you build, the faster your metabolism will get and the more lean and tone you will look. It also does burn calories especially if you keep up the tempo and don't take long rests in between. Cardio will definitely help burn off the fat but weight lifting will help make you look lean and mean! :smile:

If you want to really build muscle and get toned then I would actually suggest concentrating on the weight lifting for awhile. Don't give up cardio but make toning and strength your focus. Then when you are where you want to be with that, you can focus on cardio and as long as you keep doing weights/ strength/ toning maybe 2 or 3 times a week on top of your running, you will keep the definition. Otherwise if you just run all the time you won't build up that muscle base and definition as easily.

Good luck!
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Oh... shalinik and her fitness guide said what I was trying to say... building muscle will help you burn more calories so don't be afraid to do that just because it's not "cardio."
  • Mmarcos
    Options
    Level of importance:
    Diet > Weight Training > Cardio, in that order!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's interesting. I really thought most people would say stick with the cardio. When I do my treadmill workout I either do hill repeats or interval speed work. When I use the exercise portion of MFP it says that 20 min of running burns 203 calories vs. 20 min. of weights burning 76....that's why I'm thinking cardio would be better. Does that change anyone's opinion?
  • Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's interesting. I really thought most people would say stick with the cardio. When I do my treadmill workout I either do hill repeats or interval speed work. When I use the exercise portion of MFP it says that 20 min of running burns 203 calories vs. 20 min. of weights burning 76....that's why I'm thinking cardio would be better. Does that change anyone's opinion?
    not mine:noway: , get a heart rate monitor to better track the cals you burn when lifting it's way more accurate than a site that doesn't factor in weight, sets, reps, and heart rate, plus after lifting weights your body has an after burn (up to 48 hrs post workout). cardio is important though especially for melting belly fat. so go get an HRM and see if that helps, good luck!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I've been told to do weights first then cardio...been told that by two different people. Trainer at fitness center and also by (I think) SHBoss/Banks on here.