Omega-3s.. Worth buying or overrated?

Options
Thinking about buying some Omega-3 Fish Oil which I've never done before. Is it worth buying? Has anyone noticed a difference after taking them?

I know it's no magic pill, but I just want to know what others have experienced.

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I take it. Seems to make my skin less dry and my hair shinier. It was also the only supplement recommended by a trusted source.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I only take it as recommended by my doctor.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Omega3 fatty acids are very important to your overall health. You're not likely to "experience" anything in the physical sense...they're just very good for your health and most people don't get enough because they don't eat enough fish.

I agree
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I mostly ignored omega-3s until I read "Body by Science", then started to pay attention to my Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio. There are apparently multiple kinds of Omega-3s, so like everything else its really complicated but I'm not sure how much the details matter. In general, from what I've read, more omega-3s means better cells and (potentially?) better reactivity to hormone and hydration.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It depends how often you consume foods high in omega 3s.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323144.php

If you consume these 3 or more a week, than you are probably good. Otherwise, it might be worth supplementing more.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have taken them for years. I stopped this spring after my rheumatologist said they don't really help my RA.
    My depression got a lot worse.
    My GP said that they may not be doing much for my RA but they are definitely good for depression. Same with vitamin d.
    I started taking them again and I am feeling somewhat better.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I take them as a precautionary measure between the high cancer rates in my family and being vegetarian. I tend to try and get what I need through food, the supplements make it less of an exercise in anxiety for me.