Condiments and seasonings

I am constantly looking for ways to cut sodium and sugar from my recipes. I created a ranch dressing that is much lower on sodium and practically fat free and it's great, but I need more. Next I am going to try to create a salsa recipe that is low sodium. Only 10 calories, but loaded with sodium! I thought once I discovered the baked Tostitos tortilla chips and salsa I'd found a real treat...until I saw the sodium content. I haven't found a salt substitute I like yet. I've tried the Mrs. Dash route and wasn't impressed. I am also about to try a chicken and wild rice soup, low sodium, but I sure don't want to give up the flavor. Do you guys have any favorite condiments or seasonings you use that you really like? From ketchup to tarter sauce to dressings and all in-between.... I'd love to hear what you have found that is fabulous and HEALTHY!

Replies

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    I love salt! I commonly use to use what would likely be considered unhealthy amounts. I've made at least two changes to curb the sodium intake;

1) Buy low/no sodium foods. Broth, canned vegetables, soy sauce, seasonings, etc. Typically the price is the same and or the difference is negligible.

2) Nu-Salt. This is the best salt substitute I've found. As an avid salt fan, I found some of the others didn't add up taste-wise (many had a metallic taste). As a bonus, Nu-Salt is potassium-based; it's often difficult to hit daily potassium goals without trying, so pour on the Nu-Salt ;)

That being said, out of curiosity is there a particular reason you're trying to cut the sodium (other than general health)? My BP was through the roof for the longest time and while reducing sodium probably didn't hurt, other dietary changes were what ultimately got me where I needed to be.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Salsa is easy when you make your own. Limit the amount of sodium, or omit it entirely. Season to your personal preference. Cilantro, lime juice, black or cayenne pepper (or both), any spice or herb you like. I make chicken wild rice soup frequently in the winter, actually a pot of soup every week. Seasoning to our tastes, controlling the amount of salt used.
    If you are trying to limit sodium for health reasons, there are plenty of websites for recipes. Healthy is a relative term open to interpretation. Sodium is not necessarily “unhealthy”, our bodies need it. Too much of anything may be detrimental to our health.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    I love salt! Last time I cut it drastically. However, in the end my Dr concluded that that was what was causing my light headedness. *shrug* wasn't totally convinced it was the cause but was happy to add it back in
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    One that pairs well with savory things like red meat- ton of chopped garlic, lemon juice, salt to taste. Mix it so it is mostly garlic with enough liquid to flavor. Serve in a small bowl with a sppon to use as a condiment.

Another good savory one is your choice of roasted veg plus any combination of lemon juice/roasted onion/garlic/and or chile peppers- blend all together for a sauce over savory foods. Can add salt or not, depends on preference.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I use onion powder in place of salt sometimes. Or, use just a little salt along with it.
  • logancsmama
    logancsmama Posts: 31 Member
    I love salt! I commonly use to use what would likely be considered unhealthy amounts. I've made at least two changes to curb the sodium intake;

1) Buy low/no sodium foods. Broth, canned vegetables, soy sauce, seasonings, etc. Typically the price is the same and or the difference is negligible.

2) Nu-Salt. This is the best salt substitute I've found. As an avid salt fan, I found some of the others didn't add up taste-wise (many had a metallic taste). As a bonus, Nu-Salt is potassium-based; it's often difficult to hit daily potassium goals without trying, so pour on the Nu-Salt ;)

That being said, out of curiosity is there a particular reason you're trying to cut the sodium (other than general health)? My BP was through the roof for the longest time and while reducing sodium probably didn't hurt, other dietary changes were what ultimately got me where I needed to be.

Yes, there is a particular reason I am trying to avoid salt. In the last 6 months or so, if I eat anything salty I swell up like a balloon. It seems to have eased a bit since restarting my journey and doing my exercise, but it still an issue, also, depending on the day, I have a tendency to come near, or over on my sodium for the day on my macros. Even in the dressing I created, there is no way around the sodium in that recipe. Some salt is hidden, such as in dairy. If I reduce it all I can, then I will have room in the macros for some dairy, fat free cottage cheese etc. I did buy the low sodium taco seasoning, and it is really good. I just bought some low sodium ketchup today, and if nothing else, may be able to create other things with it such as barbque sauce or a different salad dressing. Back in the day, I tried low sodium canned vegetables and ....yuck as well as the soy sauce, although, cooking with it might be a good option. I want to try the Nu Salt. I found some stuff online the other day that people were raving about online, but it was almost $10.00 a bottle. Like you, I love salt on everything, boiled eggs, watermelon, you name it, but I'm trying to do better where I can. I will be on this journey a loooong time, then there is maintenance. Laura
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,550 Member
    Penzey's has really good herb and spice blends. My two favorites are Fox Point and Mural of Flavor. Pretty sure the first doesn't have salt and the second was in a salt-free gift box.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    Cambodian lime and pepper sauce is full of flavour and has minimum salt and sugar. It's amazing that something this simple can be so good. Good on grilled or panfried steak, fish.
    https://maknao.wordpress.com/2010/06/28/cambodian black pepper dip/

You could leave out the salt in the Thai seafood dipping sauce, but I wouldn't skip the fish sauce.
    https://siamsizzles.com/thai-seafood-lovers-dipping-sauce/

Ginger and coriander pesto. I would heat the oil to smoking and pour the hot oil over the other ingredients for a stronger flavour.
    https://www.food24.com/Recipes/Coriander-and-Ginger-Pesto-20150504
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited July 2019
    I’ve been making my own spice blends lately. You can control the amount of salt, or leave it out entirely. Most of the spices I need for them I have on hand. I made an Italian blend that I use a lot. I use the Everything but the Bagel blend a lot too. I’m not a fan of dried garlic though, so I subbed toasted dried onions. You can get recipes for making spices mixes on Pinterest.
  • LULUREBEL
    LULUREBEL Posts: 86 Member
    I love G. Hughes sugar free bbq sauce and Everything But The Bagel Seasoning.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Include other sharp flavors in your cooking. Often salt can be reduced by including sufficient acid, think lemon juice or vinegar. A lemon pepper dressing or marinade will be sufficiently flavorful without added salt for example. Using yogurt in these can add this same flavor, but even adding lemon/lime juice to that can boost the sharpness in a good way. The other additional are things like onion garlic mushroom and other savory flavors.

A low salt salsa will need a good amount of garlic onion and lime/lemon juice and pepper or jalepeno. Then just a touch of salt should bring it all together if you still think it is needed.