Help on the Elliptical

Options
Hello everyone, This may sound like a stupid question - but i have to ask. Is there a specific stance you should be using when on the elliptical - or am I just that uncoordinated? I find myself having such a hard time. Should i keep my upper body in a fixed position and then move my legs as if i was on a bicycle? I find myself trying to fully extend my legs as i go but then that throws me off stride. I want to make sure that I'm doing it correctly - please help!!!

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    i think if you try to keep your body from moving and just move your legs it works your butt harder. i feel like a retard when i do that though...

i try to keep my knees loose - straight but not locked - on the down and bend on the up. roll your feet maybe so that your heels are raised on the up and feet flat on the down. it's so hard to describe! lol
  • greensnow
    Options
    i think if you try to keep your body from moving and just move your legs it works your butt harder. i feel like a retard when i do that though...

i try to keep my knees loose - straight but not locked - on the down and bend on the up. roll your feet maybe so that your heels are raised on the up and feet flat on the down. it's so hard to describe! lol

Haha I was trying to explain
    Basically I guess you don't want your feet to stay still like they would on pedals on a bike they need to lift as you stride
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I found it very awkward at first, too, but I got the hang of it and now I love it! I would say just follow the movements of the machine, and let your body find it's balance. On the one I use there is a stationary part to hold, and also handle bars that move along. I usually move my arms with my legs, but sometimes hold on to the stationary part and just do legs.
    Don't try to make it feel like running on a treadmill... because it never will!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I find it easier if I engage my core...just zip up your belly button as Denise would say...:)
  • lbbrucefan87
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! I'm going to the gym later tonight n I'll try out your suggestions - I'll let u know how I do :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I hope it worked out well! Definitely don't try to straighten your leg all the way, keep the knee bent just a little.
  • lbbrucefan87
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys! I went to the gym yesterday n I got into my groove n I don't hate it anymore :)
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys! I went to the gym yesterday n I got into my groove n I don't hate it anymore :)

Yay!! It really is fun once you get going (and ignore the burning in your butt and thighs lol)
  • Dijon360
    Dijon360 Posts: 19
    Options
    Agree with what others have said. My main beef with the elliptical is that my feet get a little bit numb after about 20-25 mins. I think this is normal, but would love to hear from others.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Agree with what others have said. My main beef with the elliptical is that my feet get a little bit numb after about 20-25 mins. I think this is normal, but would love to hear from others.

Uggh this happens to me and all my friends who use the elliptical. It sucks! I usually stop for a second and shake out my feet/ankles when this happens and continue...
  • Sergio1970
    Options
    Wow I was thinking it was just me, my toes get like that after about 20 minutes or so.
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    Wow I was thinking it was just me, my toes get like that after about 20 minutes or so.

I've gotten somewhat used to the numbness now I can go 45 min on it. But still need to shake only my right foot occasionally