Maintaining healthy life as parents

Options
To all of you who are parents, how do you maintain a healthy and active lifestyle while taking care of your family?

Replies

• scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I involve her in my workouts ❤️ It can be a pain on my end, since she slows me down a bit, but I really enjoy seeing her get stronger and stronger!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Well, my mom didn't go back to (part time) work until her youngest was 10, so that helped. Yes, money was tight when it was time to pay real estate taxes, her car was a real piece of junk (my father's car was provided by his employer), and vacations consisted of going to my grandparent's, but it sure was nice having her there when we got home from school.

She raised goats for milk and had extensive vegetable gardens, so that kept her active.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My parenting life goes in phases. During the difficult phases I hold on for dear life. When those are over I do my best to prioritize my own health and make it clear to my kids with very well chosen language that activity and healthy eating are important parts of life. But I am not able to do this in all seasons of life. I am now past the small child stage and I am hoping I can keep this current streak up for a few years, so it will be harder to go back to my old ways.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    SAHM mom to four here. I do all the meal prep and purchasing, so that’s relatively easy to control on a regular basis (obviously holidays, social situations, etc it’s harder as it is for everyone).

One parent specific snafu are the sports practice/lessons/etc nights. Ours are always in the 5:30-7 window. Why??? So that means eating super early or super late (when your kids go to bed bt 7:30-8, getting home to eat at 7:30 is super late). So...plan for it. Have a meal ready at 4:45 and reasonable snacks for the car ride home, pack a sandwich for the car, or know you’re going to eat fast food once a week and work it in (or, you feed them whatever you can plan and have a snack and eat later, which is usually my plan).

As for working out, I have usually gone to a gym with childcare, so that is just part of our day. This year I will be homeschooling my 3 oldest, and the older two will need more one on one time now that they’re older, so I am practicing getting up at 5 and being home by husband’s 6am departure, or splitting my workout bt morning and afternoon/evening. Sometimes it’s a run during soccer practice, you do what you can do.

Making it a family thing is great when you can. We rock climb, run, and bike together. About to start kayaking.

And making healthy food a normal thing is good—my older 3 amaze me with their self control to delay treats or refuse one if they have already had one that day.