body Bugg vs HRM?

Options
What is the added value of a body bugg over a HRM? I use a HRM when I work out but wondering if I should really invest in the body bugg. What does it do that the HRM doesn't? If you have a body bugg why do you like it?

Replies

• fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Whats a body bugg?
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Interested in reading the answers lol
  • JCPruitt
    JCPruitt Posts: 53
    Options
    is there a real difference?
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    A body bugg is relatively accurate and calculates total calories burned just from existing. It's worn all day long. An HRM accurately lets you know how many calories you're burning with working out. If you have the money, I would suggest investing in a body bugg. That way you know how many calories you're burning throughout the day and not guessing. I tried using an HRM an entire day, and it's not really meant to calculate your resting heart rate.

There are a few other products that are similar to a body bugg, but I'm completely blanking on the names. They're comparable, and I'm trying to save up for one. That way I'll know with accuracy how much I'm burning throughout the day.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    that's what I want to know LOL I know the BB you have to pay for the service so it must offer more than a HRM/MFP. I know they have a tool you can enter all your food in but I can do that here for free and my HRM tells me cal burned.
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Whats an HRM and where is it worn? I have a body bugg and really like as it tracks my steps and calories burned for the day without any added effort or requirement of me. I have to admit I have not worn it in sometime and did not renew the body bugg account information but it still tracks the information. I like to use it to compare against the activity I log in MFP and it is pretty close, cept of course the BodyBugg tracks more and real time.

I am not sure what an HRM is to tell you the difference but I will say if you do not need to invest in yet another device, dont! Use what you got, unless you are sure there is some benefit to upgrading, changing or spending the money in general.
  • MaryinBflo
    Options
    a heart rate monito you weare during exercise to track calories burned. It's a watch and a chest strap
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh I see, well I suppose there are differences if all the HRM tracks is your heart rate. You can go to http://my.apexfitness.com/index.php to learn more about it.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What is the added value of a body bugg over a HRM? I use a HRM when I work out but wondering if I should really invest in the body bugg. What does it do that the HRM doesn't? If you have a body bugg why do you like it?

If you have a good HRM, don't bother with the body bugg. I don't use one, but the reports on the MFP boards is that they are wildly inaccurate.

My vote is for Polar HRMs.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have both a Polar HRM and a BodyMedia Fit (made by the company as the BodyBugg...it's the version sold outside of Apex). I bought and used my Polar F6 about a year or so prior to buying the BodyFit. The Polar HRM is more about understanding your calorie burn for a specified amount of time (like a workout) as well as providing guidance (through a beeping system) to stay within a prescribed heart rate zone (when you fall outside of your target heart rate zone, it beeps an alert). These have been shown to be quite accurate as they are based on your heartrate, age, height and weight.

The BodyMedia Fit/Body Bugg is worn consistently (though you can take it off and wear just during workouts) and it records various data such as: calorie burn, # of steps, minutes you were in moderate vs. vigorous exercise, sleep hours and how solid your sleep was. In order to obtain the data collected by the "bugg" worn on an armband on your arm, you must subscribe to the service. After you have worn the bugg all day, you plug it into your computer and download the data. If you want to know your calories all day, you can also purchase a wristband that will hold the data (the data is transported from the armband to the watch). Initially, I loved my BodyMedia fit as it was VERY interesting to know what a typical daily calorie burn for me was on a workday vs. weekend and a workout day vs. a nonworkout day. What I found after using for a year, however, is that the calorie burn can be inaccurate based on the type of exercise performed. For example, exercises that use more "arm" movement tend to show higher calorie burns than leg-focused exercises. So, your calorie burn calculated by the BodyMedia Fit for a spinning class, for example, would most likely be much lower than you actually burned (because spinning classes are high intensity and burn a ton of calories, but do not require much arm movement). Likewise, even when I do a kickboxing dvd at a lower effort, I still have a pretty high burn, compared to other workouts.

Overall, after using both, I feel like the Polar HRM is a more accurate way of calculating workout calories. I thought the BodyMedia fit was fun, but after you wear it awhile, you get an understanding of how much you burn in a typical day. Also, it got cumbersome to wear and I often got a lot of questions. Also, in terms of cost, a good HRM will run you about $100. The Body Bugg (if you buy it at a cheaper site, like Costco) is $210 for the armband and one-year membership; the wristband will set you back an additional $75.

Hope that helps!
  • OhSuzzz
    OhSuzzz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There are a few other products that are similar to a body bugg, but I'm completely blanking on the names. They're comparable, and I'm trying to save up for one. That way I'll know with accuracy how much I'm burning throughout the day.

A fitbit is similar, you wear it all day and it tracks your steps, intensity of activity, etc. It will show you your calories burned all day, and even logs your sleep calories
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I have both a Polar HRM and a Body Bugg.

#1- HRMs are absolutely usesless for tracking calories. HR alone is not adequate to calulate calories burned. Some people have naturally higher HR than others, some people drink caffeine and so many other things can artificially raise your HR. A higher HR does not always mean you are buring more calories.

#2- Body Bugg does not use HR. It uses body temp, movement, the amount of heat the radiates off of you and sweat. It has a 3d accelorometer in that tracts all movement (up, down, forward, backward..ect). You wear it night and day so it's a lot more accurate in total daily calorie burn than using a HRM while exercising and caluclating calories burned in off times with some crappy calulator that's not even close.

#3- If you lift weights, HRMs are going to be totally useless, they don't track lifting very well because HR isn't the best method to indicate effort. Body Bugg will sense the movements, the increased skin temp and sweat that comes with lifting.

The only thing I can see a HRM being good for is training for running or cycling or something like that where pacing is important. If you want to track metabolism and lose weight, a Body Bugg is much better.

MFP told me to eat 1600 calories to lose 2 pounds per week, my Body Bugg says I burn closer to 3000-3500 on average per day. So, I eat between 2000-2200 normally and I've been losing 2 pounds per week. So, I'd say for me the body bugg is spot on.
  • LoriMunzerForth
    LoriMunzerForth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI...if you go out to 24hrfitness they sell the BodyBugg SP that works with an iPhone, iPodTouch, or Android for $199.00. Currently the have a $30.00 off coupon. Free shipping and 6 months free subscription.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have both a Polar HRM and a Body Bugg.

#1- HRMs are absolutely usesless for tracking calories. HR alone is not adequate to calulate calories burned. Some people have naturally higher HR than others, some people drink caffeine and so many other things can artificially raise your HR. A higher HR does not always mean you are buring more calories.

#2- Body Bugg does not use HR. It uses body temp, movement, the amount of heat the radiates off of you and sweat. It has a 3d accelorometer in that tracts all movement (up, down, forward, backward..ect). You wear it night and day so it's a lot more accurate in total daily calorie burn than using a HRM while exercising and caluclating calories burned in off times with some crappy calulator that's not even close.

#3- If you lift weights, HRMs are going to be totally useless, they don't track lifting very well because HR isn't the best method to indicate effort. Body Bugg will sense the movements, the increased skin temp and sweat that comes with lifting.

The only thing I can see a HRM being good for is training for running or cycling or something like that where pacing is important. If you want to track metabolism and lose weight, a Body Bugg is much better.

MFP told me to eat 1600 calories to lose 2 pounds per week, my Body Bugg says I burn closer to 3000-3500 on average per day. So, I eat between 2000-2200 normally and I've been losing 2 pounds per week. So, I'd say for me the body bugg is spot on.

You obviously have no idea how HRM's work.

If an HRM has all your information, heart rate and Vo2Max, it will be pretty spot on in tracking calories for activities where your heart rate is steady(Ie Cardio).

I do agree with you on strength training aspect, as when you lift the pressure causes your heart rate to shoot up which in turn causes your calorie burn to go up... which is why they are not really meant to be worn for strength training.

For the body bug though, if your working out in a really hot area you are going to sweat more which will mean increased skin temp and more calories burned even though your heart is not working that hard.. so it has it's flaws too.

Plus not a lot of people can afford to buy the whole system and pay for the monthly membership.. which is where HRM's come into play because they are better then nothing, since no device can accurately track calories burned.

I also suggest you read this article:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have used both and found the body bugg much more comfortable and user friendly. I am currently wearing the body bugg to track calories burned and logging everything on this web site. The body bugg site does not have a very user friendly food database.
  • MaryinBflo
    Options
    well thanks for all the info everyone! I can't see the point in investing in a body bugg for myself. I have a Polare F11 HRM and I use it during all my workouts to get my calories burned. I also use it to make sure I'm working out in my tartget heart rate zone.
    I appreciate all teh feedback!
  • wvucntrygrl57
    wvucntrygrl57 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just started using my Body Bugg and I agree the food database is not user friendly. MFP is soo much better. Is there a way to log on MFP and put the total at the end of the day on the Body Bugg food log?
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

There are many types of HRM's, all with a variety of feature sets. As mentioned, the ones with VO2 max inputs or calcs, and with setting up both your resting and maximum HR; these get really close to an accurate calories expended count. I have an S725 Polar, which at the time of purchase was their best model, and it has a mode that you can discover your VO2 max and RHR. During the test, you lie in bed without sound or lights on, and it measures the variability of the time between the R intervals of the sinus rhythm of your heart. I perform the test periodically, and it has shown my fitness progress. And it has an effect on my calories expended. As you may expect, they go down because of the increase in efficiency due to better fitness.