People with desk jobs

Options
2»

Replies

• Namastea83
    Namastea83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are you more stressed at the new job and/or snacking more? I think those are likely the biggest culprits to any gain when going from a different type of job to a desk job. That's where I'd take a look first before worrying too much about desk exercises.

I'm far less stressed in this one, and I'm not really a snacker. I've not really adjusted what I was eating from when I was active for 12 hours a day though, that's what's doing it
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    No tips 😥 my maintenance is like 1600 cals. It’s rough!
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, I use the reminders on my fitbit to get up and move.

I work at home, but still sometimes make a packed lunch in the morning - it's just easy if I've already made up reasonable portions rather than grabbing food throughout the day when I'm tempted to add some little extras.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Are you more stressed at the new job and/or snacking more? I think those are likely the biggest culprits to any gain when going from a different type of job to a desk job. That's where I'd take a look first before worrying too much about desk exercises.

My experience was I could eat a LOT more when I had an active job and lifestyle, rather than having to somewhat artificially get in exercise as I do with desk jobs.
  • bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am replying to this thread while on my nightly walk around the building while I'm on a 15 minute break at my desk job. I find that helps me a lot. Also, the vending machine is dangerous if you're a snacker like me. Stay away if you can.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Namastea83 wrote: »

I'm far less stressed in this one, and I'm not really a snacker. I've not really adjusted what I was eating from when I was active for 12 hours a day though, that's what's doing it

I bet you're correct in that and haven't totally "adjusted"! Good point.

A few times I went from active, "on my feet all day" jobs to desk job and kinda naturally adjusted, just didn't eat as much food or as often. But then when I went from one relatively active job to a very stressful desk job and I didn't eat as much during meals necessarily but I wanted to snack a lot more. Like way more. I eventually found that a lot of it was self-soothing because of the high stress, but I put on weight rapidly (after being the same weight for many many years with all different types of jobs).
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I can't see 'desk exercises' making a lick of difference to weight management. I mean if hitting the gym only has a relatively small impact I can't see 'desk exercises' getting the heart rate up enough to do anything. That's not to say you shouldn't do them as they're great for other reasons but don't expect them to be a calorie burner.

You're far better off finding ways to make your desk job less desky. A few things I do to get some movement into my way are:
    1. Get a bluetooth/wireless phone headset. This is less of an issue now as our company has gone 100% mobile (cell) phone but when we had desk phones I got a bluetooth/wireless headset which allowed me to pace and wander around while I took/placed phone calls.
    2. Book meetings as far from each other as possible. When you're setting up meetings and whatnot make sure that all your meetings are in rooms/locations that are as far from each other as practical. Meet in rooms that are on opposite sides of the building and 5 floors apart so you have to be constantly walking around to get to them. The company I work for has several buildings so I'll often set up meetings in other buildings so I have to cross part of town to get to them.
    3. Have walking meetings. If there is nothing to present and it's just a two or three person meeting then turn it into a walking meeting. Head outside if that's practical (weather wise, etc) and walk around while you discuss what needs to be discussed.

If none of those things really suits your situation/role/office/etc. Then look for other ways like the above that can break the desk tether and make your sedentary job more active.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen when I stopped being a student (and cycled everywhere) to working a desk job. And a much as I make sure I walk as much a possible throughout the day (and stay pretty active outside of work) what I inevitably had to do was drop the amount of food I was eating to keep my weight under control.

I also found those desk exercises a complete waste of time, however, getting up for a wander at least every hour helps. We're on the fifth floor and now I've undertaken to skip the lifts and take the stairs most of the time. And all of the time going down. Going and talking to people in person rather than using the phone or sending a email helps. And I found that if I drink loads of water it has two benefits: 1) I am constantly going to fill up my glass and 2) I am eternally going to the loo for a pee.
  • johneghunt
    johneghunt Posts: 1 Member
    Options

If you are working at a screen (who isn't?) this may be of interest:

The DSE regulations suggest that short frequent breaks are better than occasional longer breaks. For example, a 5-10 minute break after 50-60 minutes continuous screen work is likely to be better than a 15-20 minute break every two hours.

So get up and have a run around for a few minutes every hour.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I work from home and am almost completely sedentary when I’m not actually doing a workout, except for weekends when I’m more active overall. Watching calories is key for me. Also working out regularly; I usually do some type of workout 5-6 days a week. I am losing steadily in a deficit and am almost at goal. I weigh less than I have since I was in my 30s (I’m 59). It can be done!

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I get my exercise where I can. I take the longest route possible to the bathroom. I take the stairs instead of the elevator. At lunch I like to go walk the parking garage. I can get in steps and stairs that way. All told, even on my most sedentary, meeting-plagued days I can usually get at least 6k steps before I go home.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I can't see 'desk exercises' making a lick of difference to weight management. I mean if hitting the gym only has a relatively small impact I can't see 'desk exercises' getting the heart rate up enough to do anything. That's not to say you shouldn't do them as they're great for other reasons but don't expect them to be a calorie burner.

You're far better off finding ways to make your desk job less desky. A few things I do to get some movement into my way are:
    1. Get a bluetooth/wireless phone headset. This is less of an issue now as our company has gone 100% mobile (cell) phone but when we had desk phones I got a bluetooth/wireless headset which allowed me to pace and wander around while I took/placed phone calls.
    2. Book meetings as far from each other as possible. When you're setting up meetings and whatnot make sure that all your meetings are in rooms/locations that are as far from each other as practical. Meet in rooms that are on opposite sides of the building and 5 floors apart so you have to be constantly walking around to get to them. The company I work for has several buildings so I'll often set up meetings in other buildings so I have to cross part of town to get to them.
    3. Have walking meetings. If there is nothing to present and it's just a two or three person meeting then turn it into a walking meeting. Head outside if that's practical (weather wise, etc) and walk around while you discuss what needs to be discussed.

If none of those things really suits your situation/role/office/etc. Then look for other ways like the above that can break the desk tether and make your sedentary job more active.

I do two of these three :) (I'm a professor; students never call me. They just email.) I volunteer to meet others in their offices or at the cafe instead of having them come to my office. I offered my students the option of having walking meetings, but only one has ever taken me up on that.
  • Mominajourney
    Mominajourney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew this. I work from home at a desk, and take full time online classes at a desk. i literally sit my day away
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    johneghunt wrote: »
    If you are working at a screen (who isn't?) this may be of interest:

The DSE regulations suggest that short frequent breaks are better than occasional longer breaks. For example, a 5-10 minute break after 50-60 minutes continuous screen work is likely to be better than a 15-20 minute break every two hours.

So get up and have a run around for a few minutes every hour.

"Better" for what? Definitely better for my back! Doubtfully better for weight loss.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    We have standing desks here which is nice. I just eat less.
  • HeatherLeAnn622
    HeatherLeAnn622 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Everyone has great suggestions. As far as weight-management, unfortunately, it's 90% calorie/food management. (I made that number up, but I have to think it's close to the truth.) We desk-job people have to be super diligent about logging, and being honest with ourselves about the actual calories consumed. (food scale, anyone?) For activity, I do use an outlook reminder to tell me to get up every hour (when possible, sometimes it's not possible if I'm in work "flow"). I am also fortunate enough to work for a company that allows us to have a sit/stand desk. It's nice to switch between the 2 throughout the day. Not so much for the calorie burn (because it's negligible) but because it's better for my back. I also find that I am naturally more 'active' when I'm standing. I do calf raises/stretches, and I am more likely to take a walk up and down the stairs every once and a while when I'm already standing. I do try to work out at least 3 days per week (I need to do more), but overall, get those calories in check, and that's how the weight is gonna come off.

I myself am not perfect with my food, but one thing to always keep in mind which has been working for me is this: when you have a bad day logging, (because you will), RESIST the urge to "throw in the towel" and "just start over" next week. I've had to battle my All or Nothing mentality for YEARS, and I'm FINALLY realizing that one bad meal, doesn't mean I have to start over the next week or even the next day. The VERY next meal, just get back to your plan. I promise, if you eat well MOST of the time, the weight will still come off. Maybe just a teeny bit slower than you planned. That time is passing by you, regardless. Good luck. It's not easy, but as someone above said, it's definitely possible!

TL/DR:
    1. Weight management is 90% food/calorie management
    2. Find small opportunities where possible for activity throughout the day
    3. No "all-or-nothing" mentality: if you have a bad meal, get right back on track the next meal.