I need to gain weight. Any tips?

I am looking to gain body mass and strength. Any tips? I also need motivation

Replies

• MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Eat more calories than you burn each day if you're looking to put on weight. You can gain or drop weight all without ever running a single foot or lifting any weights. However, if you want to see faster improvement in either direction then it's advised that you stick to a workout program that works towards your goals along with tracking what you're eating on here. Make milestones, don't get on the scale every 5 minutes looking for improvement. Before and after pictures usually help a lot more.
  • matthewisme6
    matthewisme6 Posts: 1 Member
    On top of what is mentioned above, a great way to get those extra calories in every day is to have a gainer shake before bed. This makes sure you’re:

1) Getting a calorie surplus in daily
    2) Ensures your body is fed with nutrients overnight and not just burning calories

Your local supplement store should have plenty to choose from.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Find some calorie dense foods you like and go to town! Here's a helpful thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    MT1134 wrote: »
    Eat more calories than you burn each day if you're looking to put on weight. You can gain or drop weight all without ever running a single foot or lifting any weights. However, if you want to see faster improvement in either direction then it's advised that you stick to a workout program that works towards your goals along with tracking what you're eating on here. Make milestones, don't get on the scale every 5 minutes looking for improvement. Before and after pictures usually help a lot more.

Yes you can certainly gain weight without exercise, but not really strength or much muscle. Weight lifting is definitely recommended if they are wanting their gain to be muscle mass.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    If you are going to gain weight then lift.
  • DepressedDarth
    DepressedDarth Posts: 7 Member
    I am currently working on this now. You need to find out what your Basal Metobolic Rate (BMR) is, which is the minimum amount of calories needed to just exist. This will be a long process if you want to do it right, and you will need to do a lot of compound weight lifting (dead lifts, squats, bench, overhead press, etc) while eating at a 300-500 calorie surplus. A common amount of calorie intake is between 3000-3500 a day. I usually eat 6, 500-600 calorie meals a day. Another key point that most don't consider is your macro percentages. You can't just eat whatever you want and expect results. Do a google search for macros to gain weight..I think bodybuilding.com has some good calculators. Take that macro percentage and adjust your MFP macros to fit. I think mine are at 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat. Finally, you need to log your food to make sure that 1) you're eating enough, and 2) that you're eating within the confines of your macro distribution. Oh, find a program to follow for the best results. There are numerous ones out there, or you can hire a personal trainer to get you started.