3 reasons you may gain eating your exercise calories

Options
So I have seen lately a lot of people saying that they tried their goal set on MFP, and ate their exercise calories and they either maintained or gained weight. I wanted to offer up some real, hard to face reasons for why people will temporarilly gain weight while following a goal AND eating their exercise calories. Make no mistake, it takes longer to lose weight when you do it this way, but it is easier to maintain in the long run, and raises your chance of success in the long term.

1) You set the wrong goal for youself. Not everyone has the same percentage of body fat, the higher the body fat, the greater the deficit can be and still work for you. And forget the idea that you can accurately calculate body fat by plugging in numbers on a site. Without a trained professional or a machine that does it (hydrostatic, DEXA), you will only be able to calculate a very rough estimate of it. Everyone thinks they set the goal they want. But the only real way to know is to do research. Take a few hours, go online, and research what you really want to do. Look for reputable sources, look for multiple answers from nutritionally trained professionals (most MD's receive VERY little nutritional training in college, make sure they have taken additional training classes in nutrition before turning to them).

2) Your body chemistry was out of whack. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months for the body's metabolism to return to an efficient state, during that process, it goes through changes in make up, when those changes happen, many times, you can gain up to 15 or 20 lbs. DON'T LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU. Even though you are now exercising and eating more nutritious foods, it takes a while for your metabolism to ramp back up, while the metabolism is still working slowly, you can be packing on weight, But remember, your metabolism is "learning" that you are going to consistently treat your body better, and eventually, if you keep feeding it right, it will speed up enough to burn what you are consuming. If you DON'T eat enough, your body will assume that you are just increasing activity without giving it more fuel, which means many functions in your body will still be diminished, which, while causing you to lose short term pounds, does not lead to overall health and eventually will lead to gaining back the weight in most cases.

3) You really do have some kind of medical condition. There are actual conditions that slow down the metabolism, lots of them in fact, most are relatively rare. In many cases, lack of proper nutrition can slow the endocrin system's hormone release and slow down the metabolism. Fortunately your endocrin system is very robust and will usually return to normal function relatively quickly if given proper nutrition, exercise, and sleep. If you are doing these things, and have seen a nutritionist and/or a certified trainer with no sucess for a period of 3 months or more, it might be a good idea to see an endocrinologist to confirm normal glandular function.

I'm not preaching here guys, I know that every person is different. I just hope that everyone is open-minded enough to analyze themself and see if they are actually doing right by their body. I know that I have done 180's while on this site, and have had my eyes opened on more then one occation. And of course there are always the exceptions that prove the rule. I hope this helps you guys. I'm not always right, and often wrong to my own embarrassment, but such is life, I live with it, learn from it, and move on.

-Banks

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So I have seen lately a lot of people saying that they tried their goal set on MFP, and ate their exercise calories and they either maintained or gained weight. I wanted to offer up some real, hard to face reasons for why people will temporarilly gain weight while following a goal AND eating their exercise calories. Make no mistake, it takes longer to lose weight when you do it this way, but it is easier to maintain in the long run, and raises your chance of success in the long term.

1) You set the wrong goal for youself. Not everyone has the same percentage of body fat, the higher the body fat, the greater the deficit can be and still work for you. And forget the idea that you can accurately calculate body fat by plugging in numbers on a site. Without a trained professional or a machine that does it (hydrostatic, DEXA), you will only be able to calculate a very rough estimate of it. Everyone thinks they set the goal they want. But the only real way to know is to do research. Take a few hours, go online, and research what you really want to do. Look for reputable sources, look for multiple answers from nutritionally trained professionals (most MD's receive VERY little nutritional training in college, make sure they have taken additional training classes in nutrition before turning to them).

2) Your body chemistry was out of whack. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months for the body's metabolism to return to an efficient state, during that process, it goes through changes in make up, when those changes happen, many times, you can gain up to 15 or 20 lbs. DON'T LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU. Even though you are now exercising and eating more nutritious foods, it takes a while for your metabolism to ramp back up, while the metabolism is still working slowly, you can be packing on weight, But remember, your metabolism is "learning" that you are going to consistently treat your body better, and eventually, if you keep feeding it right, it will speed up enough to burn what you are consuming. If you DON'T eat enough, your body will assume that you are just increasing activity without giving it more fuel, which means many functions in your body will still be diminished, which, while causing you to lose short term pounds, does not lead to overall health and eventually will lead to gaining back the weight in most cases.

3) You really do have some kind of medical condition. There are actual conditions that slow down the metabolism, lots of them in fact, most are relatively rare. In many cases, lack of proper nutrition can slow the endocrin system's hormone release and slow down the metabolism. Fortunately your endocrin system is very robust and will usually return to normal function relatively quickly if given proper nutrition, exercise, and sleep. If you are doing these things, and have seen a nutritionist and/or a certified trainer with no sucess for a period of 3 months or more, it might be a good idea to see an endocrinologist to confirm normal glandular function.

I'm not preaching here guys, I know that every person is different. I just hope that everyone is open-minded enough to analyze themself and see if they are actually doing right by their body. I know that I have done 180's while on this site, and have had my eyes opened on more then one occation. And of course there are always the exceptions that prove the rule. I hope this helps you guys. I'm not always right, and often wrong to my own embarrassment, but such is life, I live with it, learn from it, and move on.

-Banks
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Excellent advice. I would have to agree that it strictly depends on the individual.

I know that I resisted the calorie thing because I didn't believe the numbers on the machines; when I began using a heart rate monitor I knew I could believe those numbers. My workouts increased and my weightloss totally stalled and in some cases increased. I had to begin eating most of my calories just to remind my body what I was doing.

Thanks again!
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    BUMP:heart:
  • vernona
    Options
    Thanks Banks ... I completely understand now!!! take care
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Excellent post Banks. May I add a 4th reason?

4) A lot of people OVERestimate the amount they burn in a workout. So, when thy eat back those calories they're actually over eating... sometimes by a lot. To alleviate this problem you can invest in an HRM. Seriously, it's the only trulyaccurate way.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Question of the HRM - I've heard people who deduct calories from what their monitor shows - is that the right thing to do?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Question of the HRM - I've heard people who deduct calories from what their monitor shows - is that the right thing to do?

Polar doesn't deduct your normal metabolic rate, which is usually somewhere around 80 to 150 calories per hour or so (that greatly depends on your maintenance calories), so in Polar's case, I subtract about 65 cals per 1/2 hour.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into HRM - seems like they are so pricey :grumble: - but I feel like I need to know what I am really burning in order to do this weight loss right.. I have been afraid that some day's I over estimate and on others under estimate.. Any thoughts on the best one to get for a beginner? I don't want something that confuses me.. I want it to tell me what to do...
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I have been looking into HRM - seems like they are so pricey :grumble: - but I feel like I need to know what I am really burning in order to do this weight loss right.. I have been afraid that some day's I over estimate and on others under estimate.. Any thoughts on the best one to get for a beginner? I don't want something that confuses me.. I want it to tell me what to do...

F4 is good. Easy, not too many options, gives you HR, calories burned, HR % ...etc.

here is one I found on Ebay for 70 bucks (shipping included, this is the buy now price, not a bid)
    http://tinyurl.com/cz755d
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,792 Member
    Options
    There's one more reason, and this may not lead to weight gain necessarily, but it may prevent weight loss. And that could be that your BMR/AMR is too low to create an effective calorie deficit through dieting alone due to your physical size. I'm a short (5' 2") female, and I can guarantee that my goals are not unrealistic. But my BMR/AMR is naturally low (AMR is at about 1500 calories without exercise). Without falling below my BMR in intake (which is right at 1300 calories, so I would never go much below that under any circumstance), it is virtually impossible for me to effectively lose weight without creating some calorie deficit from exercise.

Where such a situation could result in weight gain would be, as stated in a post above, in circumstances where I might over-estimate the number of calories burned through exercise. If I were creating only a 200 calorie-a-day deficit in diet, then ate 250 calories more than I burned through exercise by over-estimating my calorie burn (which would actually be really easy to do if I paid attention to what exercise machines say I burn, which isn't close to my actual burn), then I might actually gain weight eating my exercise calories.

None of this has anything to do with my goals being unrealistic because I would actually have to weigh about 30 pounds more than I do to get my BMR/AMR up to a place where I could create anything close to a 500 calorie-a-day deficit through diet alone. I don't think anybody would think is necessary for somebody who is 40-50 pounds overweight (as I would be if I were to gain 30 pounds) to take their weight loss down below one pound a week to remain 'safe', yet that is what I would be doing if I were at that weight and continued to eat all of my exercise calories.

From everything I've read and researched (and I've done alot of research on this), it is perfectly healthy and acceptable to use exercise to create a calorie deficit for losing weight. I understand why the philosophy on MFP is to eat exercise calories because the presumption is when you create your goals, MFP has already calculated the necessary and SAFE calorie deficit through the caloric intake recommendations. But that is not the case for everybody. I highly recommend that everybody attempt to figure out things like their BMR and AMR for their own body and create a SAFE calorie deficit as best works for them. For some, like me, that may need to be created through exercise as well as dieting.
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options

F4 is good. Easy, not too many options, gives you HR, calories burned, HR % ...etc.

here is one I found on Ebay for 70 bucks (shipping included, this is the buy now price, not a bid)
    http://tinyurl.com/cz755d

Thank you Boss.....
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    That has absolutely nothing to do with my goals being unrealistic because I would actually have to weigh about 30 pounds more than I do to get my BMR/AMR up to a place where I could create anything close to a 500 calorie-a-day deficit through diet alone. I don't think anybody would think is necessary for somebody who is 40-50 pounds overweight (as I would be if I were to gain 30 pounds) to take their weight loss down below one pound a week, yet that is what I would be doing if I were at that weight and continued to eat all of my exercise calories.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. if your AMR is 1500 and your BMR is 1200, and you shoot for say a 1/2 lb a week weight loss (just guessing here), that's 250 calorie deficit a day. Eating back your exercise calories keeps you at a 250 calorie deficit a day. I don't see what you are trying to get at, can you maybe explain a little more on this?
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    I'm not sure I follow your logic here. if your AMR is 1500 and your BMR is 1200, and you shoot for say a 1/2 lb a week weight loss (just guessing here), that's 250 calorie deficit a day. Eating back your exercise calories keeps you at a 250 calorie deficit a day. I don't see what you are trying to get at, can you maybe explain a little more on this?

Why should be lose only 1/2 lb a week when I can create a calorie deficit through exercise to take me up to losing one pound a week which would be considered by most to be a very safe and reasonable weight loss?

I'm sorry because this may not be your intent, but you make it sound like creating a calorie deficit through exercise is unhealthy, and from everything I've read, that is not the case. A safe amount of weight loss per week is considered by many/most to be 1-2 pounds a week, which means creating a calorie deficit of between 500-1000 calories a day. Again, from everything I've read, it actually doesn't matter how that deficit is created, whether through diet or exercise (or a combination of both) because it boils down to the simple math--calories in vs. calories expended.

For those who are creating that deficit through diet alone, I, again, totally understand the need to eat the extra calories from exercise. But for some people, like me, it is, again, not possible to create that deficit through diet alone.

And I've not read or seen anything anywhere that says that rate of weight loss (1 lb a week) isn't safe for shorter people. So I don't understand why I should eat everything I burn through exercise to keep my rate of weight loss at 1/2 lb a week when I can actually very safely create a calorie deficit through exercise that would take me to the 1 lb a week weight loss. I can, with all certainty, say that not eating back 250 of my exercise calories per day is NOT going to create such a deficit that I would be harming myself or my metabolism. What it does do, however, is create a SAFE rate of weight loss that keeps me from being completely frustrated.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    OK, well now I think I understand.

See when you create a goal in this site, it automatically creates a deficit for you (without any thought to exercise).

So if you already have a deficit, then don't eat your exercise calories you are EXPANDING that deficit. I'm sorry if you misunderstood, but I have no problem with creating a deficit via exercise, in fact, that's GREAT!

The point I'm trying to get across is that if you create a deficit for your daily calories, then add to that deficit by not eating back your exercise calories, then you risk creating too large of a deficit.

I was only talking about 250 calories because of what you said about your AMR/BMR difference. If you're close to your goal (I.E. have low Body Fat %), or little to lose, trying to lose a pound a week is very difficult because the body doesn't have many places to pull fat stores from, and will start canabalizing lean tissue. If you want to create a larger deficit by exercising, that's fine, but I just wanted people to be aware, that how ever you create it, the body needs a certain amount of calories, and creating a 1 lb deficit may or may not be too much for you (that's a matter of experimentation to see where your thresholds are) depending on how much adipose (body) fat and intramuscular fat you have.
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOU!!

Thanks for all the great advice.:flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    See when you create a goal in this site, it automatically creates a deficit for you (without any thought to exercise).

I think we agree now.

But I think it is important to note that MFPs deficit, because it doesn't take into consideration exercise, may not be the ONLY safe deficit a person can create. I love the way MFP works, by the way, so I'm not criticizing MFP at all. But for somebody in my shoes, when I say (as an example), that I want to lose 1 pound a week (which I did when I started here because I had 23 pounds to lose), MFP could only calculate a deficit through diet for me that had me losing 1/2 lb a week.

I think it is important to note that that isn't the ONLY answer to that equation because I very easily, without harming myself, could lose 1 lb a week very safely if I don't eat all of my exercise calories.

For those concerned about why they may be gaining weight eating their exercise calories (or simply not losing weight), I think it is important to recognize, in addition to what you've listed in your first post, the reasoning behind MFPs numbers so each person can determine if they can create a safe and healthy deficit that DOES take into consideration exercise.

I totally agree with you regarding the difficulties when a person gets close to their weight loss goals and how this needs to be looked at differently. But, again, when I had nearly 25 pounds to lose, I truly believe that creating a calorie of deficit of 500 calories a day through a combination of diet and exercise would be considered by many to be completely safe. Just because MFP couldn't do that through their caloric calculations doesn't mean I needed to have limited myself to losing 1/2 lb a week.
  • jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 101
    Options

[/quote]

If you are having a hard time, please pay attention to this advice. I had to have my thyroid removed in October and it has been very difficult to get my metabolism back on track. I'm eating a 500 calorie per day deficit and seem to be just maintaining, but at least I'm not gaining any longer. I had almost reached my goal before the surgery and it's so easy to get frustrated and want to give up. Don't!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I think we agree now.

But I think it is important to note that MFPs deficit, because it doesn't take into consideration exercise, may not be the ONLY safe deficit a person can create. I love the way MFP works, by the way, so I'm not criticizing MFP at all. But for somebody in my shoes, when I say (as an example), that I want to lose 1 pound a week (which I did when I started here because I had 23 pounds to lose), MFP could only calculate a deficit through diet for me that had me losing 1/2 lb a week.

I think it is important to note that that isn't the ONLY answer to that equation because I very easily, without harming myself, could lose 1 lb a week very safely if I don't eat all of my exercise calories.

For those concerned about why they may be gaining weight eating their exercise calories (or simply not losing weight), I think it is important to recognize, in addition to what you've listed in your first post, the reasoning behind MFPs numbers so each person can determine if they can create a safe and healthy deficit that DOES take into consideration exercise.

I totally agree with you regarding the difficulties when a person gets close to their weight loss goals and how this needs to be looked at differently. But, again, when I had nearly 25 pounds to lose, I truly believe that creating a calorie of deficit of 500 calories a day through a combination of diet and exercise would be considered by many to be completely safe. Just because MFP couldn't do that through their caloric calculations doesn't mean I needed to have limited myself to losing 1/2 lb a week.

True enough, I can't disagree with anything on here. I'm glad we could hammer through that. :happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    [/quote]

If you are having a hard time, please pay attention to this advice. I had to have my thyroid removed in October and it has been very difficult to get my metabolism back on track. I'm eating a 500 calorie per day deficit and seem to be just maintaining, but at least I'm not gaining any longer. I had almost reached my goal before the surgery and it's so easy to get frustrated and want to give up. Don't!!!
    [/quote]

ouch, that sucks jamie! Hope it all works out for you.