So.... I could have died.

Options
xGreatWhiteNorthx
xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
edited April 2019 in Chit-Chat
Im finally released .

I have congenital heart defects. For the last 6 years I've had palpitations that were ruled insignificant and my blood pressure was never effected. Palpitations themselves are fairly common but over the long term, cause damage.

Friday night I got the mother of all migraines. Literally felt like someone just tried to hit a homerun with my skull. Nathan actually had to coach me to breathe through them but even still, I puked. Over and over again.

It subsided a few hours later but I was still drenched in sweat and I couldnt sleep so I got up to freshen up and lay on the couch. Putting deoderant on is the last thing I remember. I woke up on my living room floor and crawled to the bathroom and stayed on the floor until my daughter found me in the morning. I couldnt stand up. I couldnt even catch my breath. I felt like I just ran a marathon. I couldnt bring myself to close my eyes because I was afraid I wouldnt wake up.

Nathan took me to our small island hospital where the RN tried to tell me that my blood pressure of 170/95 (stage 2 hypertension) and resting heart rate of 110bpm was normal. Sent me home with a holter monitor. Less than 24 hours later I knew things weren't right. I was extremely light headed and I couldn't talk, bend over or raise my arms without being totally out if breath. My lips and extremities were starting to tingle and I couldn't tolerate any pressure on my chest or abdomen.
Went to the bigger hospital 45 minutes away Saturday night and here I am today. They've been monitoring me on the ECG, bloodwork q6hr. Echocardiogram. Blood pressure q2hr.

All the palpitations they've caught apparently haven't raised too many red flags but because the ones I get are an extra beat in my heart rhythm, that extra beat doesnt actually pump any blood through my heart so every extra beat my blood pressure essentially drops in half. Not a big deal for normal people, but If I get more than a few in a row than my blood pressure is dropped low enough for long enough that I passed out. Further more, if my heart doesnt correct itself fast enough, it could very well be fatal.

So while I'm being released, My cardiologist 10 hours away wants to see me ASAP for an electrophysiology test. That'd where they send tiny wires through either the artery in my neck,wrist or groin up to my heart to assess its electrical responses to see if they can figure out where the responses are coming from that made me pass out. If they find something they'll apply either cold or heat in order to create scar tissue to interfere with those responses in the future.

Until then no working or exerting myself. Here's hoping I dont die of boredom before my cardiologist can keep my heart from killing me.

2uqnn8p.jpg

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Aww man, sorry to hear this all happened to ya! Good news is you are still with us! Hope they figure things out! Thank goodness your daughter found you and whomever Nathan is!
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    Options
    Well that's terrifying but glad you're still around! Is that an anatomical heart tattoo on your arm and is it because of your pre existing condition or was it a coincidence?

Ahh good eye.

It is because of my preexisting condition. It also has mechanical gears in it but you cant see them in this picture.
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    Aww man, sorry to hear this all happened to ya! Good news is you are still with us! Hope they figure things out! Thank goodness your daughter found you and whomever Nathan is!

Haha I copy and pasted this here and on Facebook. I forgot to change the names here. Hes my fiance.
  • Viddo82
    Viddo82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That's crazy!!
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I have something like this that happens to me, doctors ruled it pretty much insufficient because they can’t figure out why. I get that tunnel vision, pins in needles in my hands when I stand up and walk. I have a heart murmur but that’s it but I wore a holster for a day and it came back irregular and my doctor was suppose to order me to wear it for 30 days but never did. So here I am, a year and a half later still experiencing these problems lol.
    But so so so glad you are okay! Sounds terrifying, especially when you had to lay there until someone found you! Please get better and take it Easy! ❤️
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    Options
    Well that's terrifying but glad you're still around! Is that an anatomical heart tattoo on your arm and is it because of your pre existing condition or was it a coincidence?

Ahh good eye.

It is because of my preexisting condition. It also has mechanical gears in it but you cant see them in this picture.

I like details!

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    <3
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    Options
    Thought I'd post an update 7ish months later.

I'm back to work at full duty on part time hours.
    I'm back to doing physical work around the homestead but I still get winded a lot faster than before my episode in April. I also find that I have nowhere near the lung capacity as i used to. I always loved singing and am good, but I cant hold the longer notes anymore.

I'm on a small dose of a beta blocker every other day, heart palpitations are greatly reduced. Cardiologist says my heart structurally looks good still so theres no heart surgeries in the immediate future at least.
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Im finally released .

I have congenital heart defects. For the last 6 years I've had palpitations that were ruled insignificant and my blood pressure was never effected. Palpitations themselves are fairly common but over the long term, cause damage.

Friday night I got the mother of all migraines. Literally felt like someone just tried to hit a homerun with my skull. Nathan actually had to coach me to breathe through them but even still, I puked. Over and over again.

It subsided a few hours later but I was still drenched in sweat and I couldnt sleep so I got up to freshen up and lay on the couch. Putting deoderant on is the last thing I remember. I woke up on my living room floor and crawled to the bathroom and stayed on the floor until my daughter found me in the morning. I couldnt stand up. I couldnt even catch my breath. I felt like I just ran a marathon. I couldnt bring myself to close my eyes because I was afraid I wouldnt wake up.

Nathan took me to our small island hospital where the RN tried to tell me that my blood pressure of 170/95 (stage 2 hypertension) and resting heart rate of 110bpm was normal. Sent me home with a holter monitor. Less than 24 hours later I knew things weren't right. I was extremely light headed and I couldn't talk, bend over or raise my arms without being totally out if breath. My lips and extremities were starting to tingle and I couldn't tolerate any pressure on my chest or abdomen.
    Went to the bigger hospital 45 minutes away Saturday night and here I am today. They've been monitoring me on the ECG, bloodwork q6hr. Echocardiogram. Blood pressure q2hr.

All the palpitations they've caught apparently haven't raised too many red flags but because the ones I get are an extra beat in my heart rhythm, that extra beat doesnt actually pump any blood through my heart so every extra beat my blood pressure essentially drops in half. Not a big deal for normal people, but If I get more than a few in a row than my blood pressure is dropped low enough for long enough that I passed out. Further more, if my heart doesnt correct itself fast enough, it could very well be fatal.

So while I'm being released, My cardiologist 10 hours away wants to see me ASAP for an electrophysiology test. That'd where they send tiny wires through either the artery in my neck,wrist or groin up to my heart to assess its electrical responses to see if they can figure out where the responses are coming from that made me pass out. If they find something they'll apply either cold or heat in order to create scar tissue to interfere with those responses in the future.

Until then no working or exerting myself. Here's hoping I dont die of boredom before my cardiologist can keep my heart from killing me.

2uqnn8p.jpg

Glad to hear you caught this when you did and are feeling better.
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd post an update 7ish months later.

I'm back to work at full duty on part time hours.
    I'm back to doing physical work around the homestead but I still get winded a lot faster than before my episode in April. I also find that I have nowhere near the lung capacity as i used to. I always loved singing and am good, but I cant hold the longer notes anymore.

I'm on a small dose of a beta blocker every other day, heart palpitations are greatly reduced. Cardiologist says my heart structurally looks good still so theres no heart surgeries in the immediate future at least.

Wow girl just wow!!!🤗🤗🤗🤗💗💗💗💗 so very happy you caught it in time and for Nathan being there to get you to help!!! Great update lovely!!! Take good care of you sweet girl!😘💗
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    Well done getting it sorted as best you can. Stay strong!