Dreading the scales after a holiday

Options
I have been on a 1 week holiday abroad and quit logging - I skipped breakfast or lunch to compensate but then ate large portions for dinner and loads of alcohol - for 7 days.

“You’re on holiday, enjoy yourself” that’s what everyone was telling me. I don’t think it’s right to live by this? I have probably ate 2500-3000 calories a day whereas I was on around 1800 average previously.

I’m really hoping I haven’t gained too much, I’m worried but I know as soon as I get home I won’t resist the temptation to weigh.

Today will be another bad day but I intend to get back on track tomorrow.

Replies

• kellyswimmer
    kellyswimmer Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself. Get it over with and start again.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    You need to have the information that the scale will give you. You need to know if you gained. And if you did, you need to know how much. If this is the strategy you decided on for this trip., you need to know how it worked.

If you gained you’ll need to know how long it takes to get you back to where you were before your trip.

If you end up regretting the way you’ve handled this, make a point of making a better plan next time. You don’t plan on nixing holidays for the rest of you life do you? It’s all just a big experiment. What happens in any particular week isn’t the big picture.
  • darren_85
    darren_85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Home and weighed - 1kg gain from the morning I left. However I’ve already had breakfast and lunch so real gain might be 0.5kg.

I’ll weigh again in the morning.

I feel so relieved although my stomach is so bloated and uncomfortable!
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    If you ate a ton of salty food (amazing, delicious, salty goodness), you're probably retaining a bunch of water. It usually takes me 2-5 days after an overfeed for my body to get back to normal. You haven't undone the progress you've made, so don't beat yourself up. Just get back to normal and remember this is a long-term thing and life happens. The only way to fail is if we stop trying, right?
  • Dan2668
    Dan2668 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Always remember, the scale won't make you any heavier. You'll be the same weight regardless of whether or not you step on to it.

Much better to know where you're at. :)
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I feel differently to the advice given here by others. I would just get right back to what you were doing and weigh yourself next week or even the week after.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. <3
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    darren_85 wrote: »
    I have been on a 1 week holiday abroad and quit logging - I skipped breakfast or lunch to compensate but then ate large portions for dinner and loads of alcohol - for 7 days.

“You’re on holiday, enjoy yourself” that’s what everyone was telling me. I don’t think it’s right to live by this? I have probably ate 2500-3000 calories a day whereas I was on around 1800 average previously.

I’m really hoping I haven’t gained too much, I’m worried but I know as soon as I get home I won’t resist the temptation to weigh.

Today will be another bad day but I intend to get back on track tomorrow.

Assuming you went somewhere amazing, with great dining opportunities and foods you cannot get all the time, in your place I would take the suggested, you're on holiday -- well, vacation -- approach. If you do this, it's easier to move ahead healthily. If you blame and regret, you steal from yourself great memories, and possibly go into a slump that leads to bad choices. Enjoying yourself, for a set period of time and for a special occasion, is a good thing.

Whatever the scale says is you paying the piper, but if you loved the (brief) tune, why not pay with a smile?
  • darren_85
    Options
    Thanks all. I am very fortune that my gain was I’m fact ZERO!!!!!

It must have been all the best and long walks that helped me maintain!!

I think my problem was that I went away with no plan and just went with the flow. This lead to anxiety towards the end of the holiday. Next time I need to plan ahead so I don’t feel guilty
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    yeah, next time plan to have fun and eat, just like you did this time. :)

I've been on many holiday weeks since I lost my weight. At most I am up a couple pounds when I get back, but that never sticks as long as I get back on plan.

Holidays are usually more food, more activity. Don't be "that person" who stresses out and complains about eating for the whole trip.
  • darren_85
    Options
    It did not cast a huge issue in the holiday but I can easily see it could have. I will defiantly not go down this route again.