Avoiding loose skin- PLEASE HELP

Options
Hey guys,

At my heaviest weight I was 206 pounds. However, I've been around 188 pounds for a while now and consider that my starting weight. I aim to lose around 65-70 pounds in total. I've already got stretch marks (due to weight gain). I'm aged 23. Any advice on avoiding loose skin? I would appreciate your help! Thanks :)

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Youth is on your side! Just do it slowly. Your skin will adjust after time.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    With only 70 lbs as long as you lose slowly you should be fine. It tends to be either really big weight loss or sudden weight loss that leads to saggy skin.

So don’t aim for more than 2lb loss a week, take regular exercise and reset your calorie goal after every 10lb loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Losing slower seems to help, but in reality it's gonna be based on your genetics. Age is usually a factor too, but you're younger so skin elasticity is much more on your side than someone who's in their 50's. All you can do is lose the weight an see. What I WILL tell you is DO NOT fall for things like cremes, wraps, or exercise programs that claim they can get rid of loose skin.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TheHuff_
    TheHuff_ Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!! I know it's so slow but I think I'll aim for 1lbs loss a week in order to minimise the risks
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I’ve been reading about saggy skin issues with weight loss and I can’t tell you how pleased I am to read in many threads regarding this that it mostly tightens up over time if you let it. I’d feared needing surgery to remove the skin. I get for some that may be a necessity but i need to give time more than anything else! I’ve lost 10Kgs and have stretch marks all over my stomach too, but it hasn’t gone saggy yet. I’m 10Kgs from goal weight too. And I have been losing weight slowly too. Took 6 months to lose 10kilos.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I lost weight very very slow (we're talking 6 years) and I'm not done losing yet. I have loose skin because it's unavoidable with my starting weight, but not as much as you would expect for someone who was super morbidly obese. Just another vote for being patient after losing if you do end up with loose skin (give it a couple of years).
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you could lift weights and it would tone the muscles- you might watnt o look into it to get the proper help with dong it- I don't know much I am 59 and only lift small 5- 10 pound weights to keep my arms toned. I also do body weight exercies with you tube videos- hope this helps.
  • TheHuff_
    TheHuff_ Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely weak. So weak that it's embarrassing. Even lifting 1kg too many times makes my arms ache haha. I really hope to improve this