Grave's disease help

Options
Hello 🙂
This is my first post, really hoping that this great community can help.
I was diagnosed with Grave's disease in February and since then have been on the different medications to control the symptoms: Carbimazole, Levothyroxine and propranolol.
I have gained nearly six kgs since then with no signs of it slowing down ☹️ and I am unable, for the time being, to do exercise that raises my heart rate significantly.
I take need to lose weight before something like diabetes is added into the mix!
Is there anyone with experience of this that has successfully lost weight? What worked for you?
Thank you🙂

Replies

• SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply 🙂 definitely have Grave's. I initially lost 12 kgs amongst all the other symptoms, and my endo has put me on the block and replace treatment hence the carbimazole and levo. The weight gain had been since being on medication, I've put on what I lost and more! At the moment my symptoms are not adequately controlled.

I'm not suitable for rai due to my eye symptoms. I am in the UK so I don't know if advice on this varies compared to the U.S.

I'm interested in looking more into your diet suggestion, and the impact on blood sugar control because of the beta blockers.

Thanks again
  • simmonsbees
    simmonsbees Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I have Graves disease that has been in remission for several years now. RAI is unfortunately the “standard of care” in the USA, and I had to change doctors due to unreasonable pressure to utilize this treatment. I also had eye issues, which is a contraindication for RAI. Thankfully my ophthalmologist was supportive in resisting RAI. My eye issues have eased over time and continue to get better the longer my thyroid levels stay stable.

Is your doctor basing your replacement medications on the TSH? That takes a while to normalize (maybe not ever based on the antibody levels). They should be dosing on the Free T3 and Free T4 levels. You can be hypothyroid based on the Free thyroid levels but appear (inaccurately) to still be hyper based on TSH levels that are affected by high antibody levels. Maybe speak to your doctor about your lab levels and see if you need to adjust the carbimazole blocking or increasing the replacement.

• SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    @simmonsbees and @skinnyutahgurl - your replies have been super helpful! Thank you! My TSH is still really suppressed at 0.05 but my T4 crashed to 8! I've just had another set of bloods done so should get the results this week. 🙂
  • louisevmulqueen
    louisevmulqueen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have Graves (Sept 2018) many other symptoms prior to that. I was shocked - I expected the Low Thyroid diagnosis because I put on weight super easy. I am on Carbimazole current 10mg per day. I am following a strict diet regime Following Auto immune Protocol overlayed with FODMAP and Intermittant fasting. What I eat Vegetable and MEat/Fish I don't eat Flour/wheat products Dairy Potatoes (Sweet Potatoes OK) Legumes (so no Rice or beans) I have done a fair bit of reading and trial and error. I pay attention to my whole body symptoms I believe i am in a histamine overload state and inflammation Currently reading The autoimmune Fix by Dr Tom Obryan - It is bringing my trial and error insights back to medical reasoning. So I do feel that I am on the right path for me.
  • lynle0423
    lynle0423 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have Graves (2017) and have gained weight. According to my endocrinologist, 10% of patiets will gain weight. You also gain when you are on the Anti-Thyroid as it slows your metabolism but doesn't curb the appetite.

I will not be able to do RAI as my goiter is 7 times its size. It will be surgery for me. I also have Hashimotos which doesn't cancel out the graves symptons. We can only treat the graves for now.

I am doing a Lot of different diets trying to find what will work for me.