My Fitbit negative calorie adjustment is TAKING AWAY calories??

Ducks47
Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
Hi all, I’ve been using a Fitbit zip for some time. I have walked 6500 steps so far today and jogged 3.5 miles. I logged my jog and my Fitbit negative calorie adjustment took away 250 calories from my food and now says I’ve eaten too much?? Why is this? Is this correct?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    What's your activity level?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    If you logged your jog even though you already have your Fitbit synced to MFP, it's taking away calories since you'd be double dipping otherwise. If you remove the manual entry for jogging, you should see your calories readjust. Also, keep in mind that whatever Fitbit tells you that you burned for that jog is not the calorie amount you should be eating back as the calories burned include your BMR. So if it says you burned 350 calories for your jog, it's more like 250 for the actual jogging on top of the 100 calories you would have burned just by existing in that time frame. The 250 is what you would eat back but since calculations like that can be hard to do, as Fitbit doesn't show you the calorie split, you should just let your Fitbit make all the adjustments to MFP instead of entering things manually.
  • Ducks47
    Light activity
    What's your activity level?

• Ducks47
    Thank you!
    Maxematics wrote: »
    If you logged your jog even though you already have your Fitbit synced to MFP, it's taking away calories since you'd be double dipping otherwise. If you remove the manual entry for jogging, you should see your calories readjust. Also, keep in mind that whatever Fitbit tells you that you burned for that jog is not the calorie amount you should be eating back as the calories burned include your BMR. So if it says you burned 350 calories for your jog, it's more like 250 for the actual jogging on top of the 100 calories you would have burned just by existing in that time frame. The 250 is what you would eat back but since calculations like that can be hard to do, as Fitbit doesn't show you the calorie split, you should just let your Fitbit make all the adjustments to MFP instead of entering things manually.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Also, keep in mind that whatever Fitbit tells you that you burned for that jog is not the calorie amount you should be eating back as the calories burned include your BMR. So if it says you burned 350 calories for your jog, it's more like 250 for the actual jogging on top of the 100 calories you would have burned just by existing in that time frame. The 250 is what you would eat back but since calculations like that can be hard to do, as Fitbit doesn't show you the calorie split, you should just let your Fitbit make all the adjustments to MFP instead of entering things manually.

Actually for MFP - it's not the BMR calories (which would be less than 100, probably around 80) - it's what they have already accounted for - BMR x 1.25, or x 1.4, ect for the time.

But in this case of a tracker sync involved - it doesn't matter.
    And if something was manually logged for better accuracy (Weights) - you'd log the whole thing, not the NET.
    Because it'll be sent out to the tracker to replace the burn there - and you do want Gross in that case.
  • Loulife2018
    Loulife2018 Posts: 6 Member
    Mines done the same today giving negative instead of plus must be a fitbit or mfp error
  • Myki3012
    Myki3012 Posts: 153 Member
    Um... this hasn't even worked for me or others for like a month?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Myki3012 wrote: »
    Um... this hasn't even worked for me or others for like a month?

Fitbit and MFP syncing? Maybe it depends on the device because my Fitbit is syncing fine and hasn't stopped.