Athlete Daughter

Options
My daughter is a basketball player. Well, rising one anyway. She didnt make the twang this past school year and intends to improve her game this summer so she can make it next year. I've decided to help her. Any tips?

Replies

• sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    How old is she?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What held her back?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Is there a summer basketball camp she can attend?
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    She is 13, she just got passed up because of a new student who was on her former team. Yes there are, but we cant afford the camps. I bought a few basketballs and intend to help her practice since I too am on a weightloss journey. She has been on the team every year for 3 years until the new student took her place on the team. Over summer she wants to get good enough to be impossible to pass up. I used to play in school too, but that was a long time ago. Lol
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    She is 13, she just got passed up because of a new student who was on her former team. Yes there are, but we cant afford the camps. I bought a few basketballs and intend to help her practice since I too am on a weightloss journey. She has been on the team every year for 3 years until the new student took her place on the team. Over summer she wants to get good enough to be impossible to pass up. I used to play in school too, but that was a long time ago. Lol

Has she had a chance to talk to the coach that cut her as to what specific things she could work on to improve for next season?
  • saresimsr36
    Options
    She was too shy to ask. I figure we will work on standard drills, suicides, passing, layups, 3 points and shooting.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Have you looked for basketball camps that have scholarships and/or through programs via your local parks and recreation system?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What about CYO or AAU? Does she have those options available to play when school isn't in season? Practice is the best way to keep getting better.

My sister was on the varsity basketball team since she was in 8th grade, and was the captain of her college basketball team (Division 3). I don't think she ever did any except play a whole lot of basketball all the time.
  • saresimsr36
    Options
    That's what we are going to do. I figure helping her will help me get in shape too.
  • paddydiver24
    paddydiver24 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    What I am about to say does not mean what I think of her. I was a competitive soccer coach for several years and the attributes I and my fellow coaches valued most was hard work ethic, great attitude towards the teammates, athletic ability of any kind, and dedication to playing. If a player had those, I could train and coach her to being a started/majority of the time player from being an occasional player.
    Some female athletes at that age when puberty starts, the athletic ability changes...not always for the better. The ability may return...sometimes it doesn't. I wish you and her the best of luck on the journey to get better!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    What I am about to say does not mean what I think of her. I was a competitive soccer coach for several years and the attributes I and my fellow coaches valued most was hard work ethic, great attitude towards the teammates, athletic ability of any kind, and dedication to playing. If a player had those, I could train and coach her to being a started/majority of the time player from being an occasional player.
    Some female athletes at that age when puberty starts, the athletic ability changes...not always for the better. The ability may return...sometimes it doesn't. I wish you and her the best of luck on the journey to get better!!

I was going to say something along these lines. Tell her to just get out there and practice, practice, practice. If she wants it bad enough, she will get it. Especially at that age, coaches will value her initiative and drive. This is an excellent opportunity for you to show her that achieving goals takes hard work and dedication, but it will always pay off. Best of luck to you and her in achieving your goals!
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are and how competitive the basketball team is that your daughter is trying out for, but I would say that "practice, practice, practice" is good advice only if she knows what and how to practice. There was a kid in my son's class who spend the whole summer before their freshman year at the park working on his game, but he didn't really know what he was doing, so it didn't help him much. I'd invite him to jump in when my son was doing drills, but he was shy and usually didn't, and he didn't make their school team.

A couple of thoughts

1. Conditioning will help. Some tryouts make kids sprint and do suicides before any skill stuff because they want to see who will be able to play in the second half. Conditioning is simple and can be combined with skill exercises, but it's hard for kids to make themselves do. I don't know how fit your daughter is -- if she's really out of shape, then C25K might be a good place to start. Assuming she's in decent shape, she can do suicides, suicides dribbling (doing retreat dribbling instead of turning around when coming back to the baseline). Another: work up to 20 full court, full speed layups alternating hands for dribbling and shooting (i.e. when going one way, left hand dribble and left hand layup, when going the other way, right hand).
    2. At that age, she should make layups consistently. Missed layups at tryouts are an easy cut as a coach. Make sure she can hit 20 in a row with correct footwork with both hands. If not, google correct layup footwork and have her practice it in slow motion over and over.
    3. Get some dribble googles (like $6.99 on Amazon) and do full court ball handling sequences like in and out, crossover, through the legs. Alternate hands. Do 4 lengths of the court, then switch to a different sequence (e.g. crossover, through the legs, behind the back). Make sure she can do behind the back wraps running full speed with both hands - anybody can learn it and it's super useful.
    4. Work on pounding the ball. Work up to a sequence like the following:
    Two balls:
    - pound 50x with balls hitting the ground at the same time
    - pound 50x alternating
    - pound 50x in and out
    - pound 50x forward and back on the side of her body (walk the dog)
    One ball:
    - 50x hard back and forth behind the back
    - 50X hard through the legs left leg forward
    - 50X hard through the legs right leg forward
    Really work on pounding the ball. Arms should be burning at the end.
    5. Google the Swish method of shooting and follow it. Simple and effective way to learn to shoot.
    6. When practicing shooting, she should make at least 75% of the shots she takes. Most kids don't and it's why they don't get better as shooters. There's a great shooting warmup taught by one of the best women's NCAA shooting coaches ever that goes like this: Make 18 of 20 shots from 2 feet out. Take 1 step back and make 10 in 12 attempts. Take a step back and make 8 in 10 attempts. Take a step back and make 6 in 10 attempts. Make 6 in 10 freethrow attempts. Step back and make 6 in 10. Make 4 in 10 from 3. If at any point, you fail to make the target number in the given number of attempts, then step back to previous position and repeat. If you fail at the same spot twice, the last spot that you made the target from is your range for the day -- you are not allowed to shoot any shots from further out. This transformed my kid's shooting.
    7. Don't have her play a lot with random kids. That's a good way to learn terrible habits. If she can find kids who play seriously and are a lot better and/or older than her it will help her a lot.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything the above post says! The only other thing I can think of is to ask the coach if she can stay on as an assistant or something. She can still attend practices, and see the work the girls are doing and listen to the coaching. It will also show the coach how much she wants to be a part of the team and what a good team player she can be.

If the coach says no, you could ask him/her to show you or write down a few suggestions or drills she can do on her own.

Basketball is about speed and endurance, so sprints and footwork AND mile runs will be good for her. Lots of ball work too, I used to dribble up stairs, down stairs, backwards, side ways, you name it I tried it just because I figured the more I could do = the less I can't do.

I wish you guys the best of luck! There might even be a nice girl on the high school team who'd like to coach her once a week! I used to do that for some younger girls. Never hurts to put up a flyer or call around.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

I think your heart is in the right place, but your daughter might be better served by a more organized program.

If there is a YMCA near you it might have a summer basketball program with scholarships. All the YMCAs to which I have belonged have had great kids' programs and scholarships. However, it might be kind of late for that.