Allergies to food...

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
I was wondering what happened to you when you got them? Did it cause constipation at all? Maybe too much info but my daughter and I have chronic constipation and nothing helps it seriously. So I was wondering if maybe it could be a type of allergy? I am only 23 and my daughter is 4. My husband eats what we do and he is fine!!

Replies

• Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what happened with my brother (serious constipation, stomach cramps, etc). Ended up being a lactose allergy.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Might not be an allergy but something your body can't handle well. When I discovered my food allergy (seafood) I had nausea, diarrhea and dizziness. I just thought it was the flu until I had seafood 3 or 4 more times and the symptoms got worse. Finally I was tested.

However, I'm not familiar all the ways that allergies can manifest. I know I've heard of hives and swelling of the throat too (which luckily I don't get).
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    More of an "intolerance" than an allergy. Keep track of what you eat to pinpoint it.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    that was one of the reasons i discovered i had a gluten intolerance. i had that issue for years as well as chronic migraines and a plethora of other problems...

cut out the gluten and i'm living a whole new life. i'd talk to your doctor.
    That's exactly what happened with my brother (serious constipation, stomach cramps, etc). Ended up being a lactose allergy.
  • honeyb7
    honeyb7 Posts: 45
    Options
    Try IBX or eating Chia seeds. I have allergies and a very slow digestive system. What seems to process quickly for others may take a day or more for me. I have had chronic constipation with bouts of diarrhea. I found I had a soy allergy and wheat intolerance. As long as I consume the Chia Seeds I stay regular (for me that is). IBX works wonders as well and I took them for 12 years with no problems but they are expensive. The chia seeds you can by online at: Nutsonline at a good price per month and they have excellent service. IBX by Tibetan herbs costs approx. $22+ /month at vitacost.com. Nothing worse than feeling bloated all the time!

Good luck!
    Honeyb7 (if you want to friend me!)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Consult your doctor. Different allergies have different reactions. Many people have difficulty processing gluten (wheat products) and constipation is a result.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    I want to thank you all for input, I am going to the doctor again monday, and I have been rounds with them about my daughter but if I can pin point this then we can be a happy family again!
  • mandahq
    mandahq Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-A. IBS is irritable bowel syndrome. There are three types. IBS-C (constipation),IBS-D (diarrhea), and IBS-A a mixture of both.

For constipation. you need to avoid dairy products, you dont have to completely cut them out but the less the better. If im feeling constipated, I drink orange juice, cranberry juice, something with critic acid. Because that's what people with IBS-C need to avoid.

When my IBS bothers me its like a stomach ache but lower. Almost like cramps.

I would talk to your dr to see if its an allergy or maybe IBS.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    I have already been diagnhosed with ibs aqnd we already don't do much dairy... but i will bring that up too!
  • wendibartel
    Options
    Sounds almost exactly like mine and my sons story. My doctor has me on a serious intake of fiber as well as miralax two times a day and I still have issues. My son is lactose intolerant and gets seriously backed up if he ingests dairy (which always gives away how careless his day care is). He too is on Miralax and will be for the rest of his life but he also has a disease called hirschsprungs (basically he was born with out the nerves in his bottom to feel the poop.) He has had to go thru two surgeries so far for this.

I would suggest increasing your fiber and see if that helps any. Also talk to your doctor it could be something more serious especially with your little one.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    That sounds just like my daughter! She has issues with #2 like it coming out and she doesn't know..
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Oh we both take miralax...