I’m on a Mediterranean Diet

Options
dannytrees1
dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
Day 4 on my new diet.
I’m at 208 lbs,
No more fast food for this old cat
Lots of grapes, cherries, Melba toast instead of regular bread.
I’m hoping this will get a few pounds off me.
Anyone else on this kind of diet?
I’m trying to keep the meals simple .

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

Best wishes for a wonderful journey here.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Lots of us eat somewhat along the lines of a Med diet way of eating, although I don't live in the Mediterranean so tend to focus on what's in season here when it's growing season, like now (I do tend to use olive oil as my main added fat rather than the butter that would be more common in many more northern places historically).

I think of Med diet as lots of veg, fruit, beans, not much meat but some, emphasis on fish for meat source, whole grains (including bread if you like) and other whole food starches, olives and olive oil, and nuts and seeds -- basically similar to many broadly healthful diets.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I think Med is a good choice because it gives lots of choice :) its very low in added sugar and you can adjust the macros to suit your preferences.

My diet would look Keto'ish but its Med with relatively low carbs.

I moved to the Med (Italy) late last year and their approach to portion control (eating out and buying in supermarkets) has been super helpful.

Good luck OP !
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Mine has some Med influences just because I really like to eat that way. Like @lemurcat12 I assume the focus should be on locally grown seasonal produce more than actual Mediterranean foods. I love olive oil I even use it in place of butter in a few places like on my baked potato. I did this before weight loss too.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    @NovusDies I just found a recipe using evoo instead of butter on potatoes. It's good? Did you ever use butter on them?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    @NovusDies I just found a recipe using evoo instead of butter on potatoes. It's good? Did you ever use butter on them?

Oh yeah. I don't remember why I tried olive oil but I have been doing that for 5-6 years now. I assume I ran out of butter. Anyway I was instantly and permanently hooked.

I have almost always made my garlic bread with it and always used it for pasta. Back in my higher calorie days I made up an olive oil, garlic, and anchovy dip for my pizza. Delicious but it probably easily added 400 calories to an already high calorie meal.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I'm inspired. ☺
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that information, I’m using olive oil instead of margerian.
    Today is 1 week on this Mediterranean diet
    I have lost no weight, but I have lost 1” off my belly.
    It’s the only measurement I took when I started this.
    Feeling good about this so far.
    I’m looking to see some weight disappear soon.