Losing inches

Is anyone else finding it harder to lose inches? I lose weight and have been since October I started to measure and lost 1 inch on my stomach and 1/2 Inch on each leg in a week but this week nothing which is fine cause it takes time so I will wait to check again in a month, now this week I have not lost any inches is there anything I can do? I have been working out for over a month 3 times a week and this week upped it and will start to 4 times a week with weights for 3 times a week! It seems that it might just take longer for me to lose inches which might help in the long run and not have to much extra skin

Replies

• Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    I always find measuring inches tough, its so slow going and difficult to make sure you're being accurate. Are you measuring by yourself or is someone helping you? Its pretty tough to make sure the tape measure is in the right place and level by yourself.

How long have you been waiting between measurements?

I find sometimes I'm at a time of the month when I'm feeling bloated so I don't always do them at regular intervals, I aim for every 4 weeks but I give or take a few days or a week if I'm feeling bloated.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You’ve been working out for 9 months, lost 1 inch the first week, and no more inches since then? What is you current height & weight? How many lbs have you lost since starting?

Measurements can be tricky to get exactly the same each time. I’ve been doing this for 5 years and can measure myself twice in a row and not get the same thing. You need to put the tape in exactly the same spot, make sure it’s straight all the way around, and hold to the same tension, and be sure to read it correctly.
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    No I have not been working out for 9 months I would walk but just started going to the gym for over a month now I'm 5'7 263 I have lost 35 so far I was not losing as much as I wanted so i buckled down and started the gym and keeping better track of my calories! I just started measuring myself on June 10th and started my workout at the gym on may 21st, i measured June 22nd and lost inch on stomach and half inch on each leg measured again yesterday and I am still the same!!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,971 Member
    I found that typically one week I'd lose inches and the next week I'd lose weight. Sometimes they synched up, but often they alternated. But I still like taking measurements as a back up to the scale because it shows a different level of progress.

When I take my measurements, I typically do it three times and use the average because it can be hard to measure in exactly the right spot every time. I only take my measurements once a week even though I tend to be a daily scale weigher. A lot of folks only do measurements once a month because some weeks they don't see much movement.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Congrats on your loss so far! Measurements move in small amounts, so I think it is hard to see progress week to week. A lot of people measure once per month. I measured every 3 months, to ensure I would see big changes!
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    Yeah I think monthly would be better or I will go insane lol