Strength training for old ladies

Options
I’m ready to add in strength training and NROL4W was recommended. I read it cover to cover. It’s a great book and I learned a lot but I cannot imagine this working for me. Mainly because I have back troubles, knee troubles etc and I’m worried about aggravating injuries (all the squats for example). I love the idea of the book, and plan to incorporate some elements I just don’t think the specific exercises or pace will work for me. I am hoping to find something geared more to older women. Anyone got any ideas? Practical experience to share?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Specific lifts might not work but that's due to injury not specifically age or gender.
    Fellow knee and back injury victim here.....

"Pace" is a valid consideration though, progress is slower, recovery can take longer and what I've noticed most is that recovery from injury is far worse compared to the younger me. Avoidance of injury is far more of a concern than it ever was in my 20/30/40's. My former style of push until it hurts and then try harder was never smart (but worked) when I was young but is counter-productive now.

A good PT to create or modify a routine may be a worthwhile investment to get you started.

What I might suggest is having two days off between sessions rather than one until you become accustomed to exercise. A good program will have you progressing when you are ready - not an assumption you are ready because you have done xx weeks.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    It's fine to start a program lighter, and progress it more gradually, than what the program recommends, as a strategy to deal with personal health issues, or avoid injury. It generally just means slower progress, which beats the heck out of either (1) no progress, or (2) pain and injury.

I don't know of a specific program for older women (even though I am one). I have strength trained, but am not doing so now (long and irrelevant story that has to do mostly with me being lazy and hedonistic ;) ). When I do, I avoid exercises I know I shouldn't do (because of things like where the osteoarthritis lives, or where the nerve impingement tries to happen). Sometimes, I can research and find alternatives that may be less ideal, but that still allow for some progress.

I have the book "Getting Back in Shape: 32 Programs for Lifelong Fitness" (by Anderson/Pearl/Burke/Galloway), which is aimed in this direction, but I didn't find particularly revolutionary. It does have some good background information, and a "pre-program" option for starting slowly.

There's a long list of strength programs in a thread here: Maybe you can find one that has fewer exercises that look unachievable to you, or could ask on that thread about alternatives and adaptations?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Another thought - something that has helped me - might be to ask for a physical therapy recommendation from your doctor (using your back/knee/etc. troubles as the reason), then ask the therapist to help you identify exercises that will help you progress, without causing further problems?

Another option might be to seek out a personal trainer with good credentials whose practice centers around working with older folks who have physical challenges.

I hope you can find a good approach that fits you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Check out NROL for Life
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    61 years old here. Started NROL five years ago and it's helped my knees, hips and back. When I started I couldn't walk up steps without limping having spent most of my life on my feet or on a horse. I started with the NROL for women and have bought every book by Lou Schuler and done most of the workouts. I think I have found the fountain of youth. Nothing hurts and I'm fitter than I've ever been. I think if you just try to do the workouts the best you can without hurting yourself you'll see incredible results. Things I stay away from are pull ups, Romanian deadlifts, and anything that says dragon flag lol. I don't do shoulder presses with more than 20 pounds. Learned that one the hard way. You can sub exercises that are easier for you. I can't recommend it enough. When I started I couldn't bench a 10 pound bar. Now I can lift 50 pounds over my head. I do keep the squats and deadlifts to 60 pounds. Seems to do the trick without causing injury. Good luck!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My parents (now 90 and 85) walk 3 miles and work out on weight machines daily. They live a high quality of life for where they are at and are going on a vegan cruise in the Baltic in a few weeks (they live in San Diego). Prior to their foray into their condo workout facility, they had a TotalGym they set up in their garage that they regularly used. This could be something that could work for you. TotalGym's are very effective and work a full range of motion. Equally important for someone not used to weight training, they are easy and safe to operate and allow you to adjust resistance accordingly. Good luck and keep with it!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Orthopedic issues are very individual, so you are unlikely to find a mass-marketed program that accommodates all your needs - so consider getting a customized program from a personal trainer that has a physical therapy degree. I'd be very cautious about other trainers, although one certified with NASM-CES might work if they're experienced. You can try asking for a referral from your doctor or a physical therapist.

In the mean time, feel free to make substitutions to the NROL4L program.. but you'll need to experiment to find what works for you. Wide stance squats tend to be easier on the knees than other squats. And split squats are generally safe for the back, since your spine is vertical. If you need more subs, just ask.
  • rebeccaj822
    rebeccaj822 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wow...awesome ideas and feedback folks. That’s why I love this community. I really do want to try NROL and feel buoyed by the encouragement (special thx @Goober1142). And I love the idea of a little more recovery time and potentially subbing some other types of squats that will be easier.

Now I just have to figure out how to do all this stuff in the gym 🤓 that could be the hardest part. And possibly quite comedic.