Workout gear?

I'm just now getting back on my feet after a long bout of homelessness and drug addiction. To avoid relapsing due to weight gain, I'm trying to do it right this time and work out, eat right, etc.
Problem is it is summer and it is HOT. I own practically 3 outfits. Staying w a family member that can't afford to put me in new shorts and tanks, my jeans and sweats are not work out beneficial because I will die of a heat stroke. Where's the best places to get work out clothes free or extremely cheap?

Replies

• Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Don't knock thrift stores. One good pair of work out capris and a t-shirt is all you need year round. Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Old Navy, and even a sports store outlet when there is a sale can be inexpensive. I wish you the best of luck on your journey to health. So glad you are in a good place now. Keep up the good work. Well wishes!!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Goodwill, Salvation Army, church thrift stores, consignment shops.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    cheap department stores like Target/KMart. At least here in Australian anyway. I get tank top t-shirts for like $5 at K-Mart. A sports bra thing is around $10 and the shorts the same. The quality isnt' brilliant, but it does the trick.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Walmart had tops (sometimes with built in sports bras) as cheap as $5 each.
  • darklyndsea
    darklyndsea Posts: 56 Member
    Garage sales often have workout clothes for cheap, though you may have to go to more than one to find what you're looking for.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    If you can get an old Navy Visa card, use it for all purchases and earn points/bucks back to buy clothes. I get most of my workout gear from old Navy for less than $1 because of bucks back. Their muscle tanks and running shorts are my favorite. When I have extra bucks back(which is often) I get clothes for my nephews and my sister.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Goodwill, garage sales or even look online (Facebook, craigslist, etc.) for people looking to rehome their used clothes for cheap/free. Be safe if you go the FB/Craigslist route of course.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Depending on your exercise, an old t-shirt or tank top from the thrift store may work just fine to start with. You may not need any special workout clothes.

If you need running shoes and/or a sports bra, I’d spend the money on that, and go really cheap for a shirt and shorts. You need professionally fitted running shoes if you plan to run; otherwise, a good pair of sneakers should be fine for general exercise.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Garage sales often have workout clothes for cheap, though you may have to go to more than one to find what you're looking for.

If you think of it as the hunter and gatherer game, that makes it more enjoyable.