Starting Keto today!

Options
Anyone help me with quick easy stuff to grab at the store for this week. Any tips?? Not meal prepping yet. I don't have the time!!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community!

I had researched keto prior to starting on MFP. I didn't choose it because it wouldn't have been sustainable for me due to the restrictions.

What made you choose keto?
  • Izabellesdance
    Izabellesdance Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A documentary called the magic pill. Also, i have done low carb before and it's the only diet that I tried where I actually had energy and felt good. Not hungry. You are correct. It is very difficult to stick w it bc of the restrictions. This needs to be a lifestyle for me. I will continue to eat veggies and low carb fruit. Also lavish wraps. The plan is to learn how to make bread, pancakes send muffins with almond or coconut flour instead of white or wheat flour. Time to be creative so I can do this for good. Carbs give you energy so I plan on taking the vitamins that I need and also eating enough healthy fats like avocado. I think I have it figured out lol I think!! Wish me luck!!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I wish you all the best on your journey!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I just started keto a little less than a month ago. I've got quick, easy meals I prepare and easy foods I make then snack on for a few days. I haven't found any quick-on-the-go-foods yet. We don't eat out and haven't had fast food in like 10 years.

My daughter and my boyfriend allow themselves beef and turkey jerky and sticks and Nature Valley Protein bars.

I love keto so far and don't find it very restricting. We stay full and battle to get daily calories in. And the energy boost is out of this world!!!

Good luck!
  • Izabellesdance
    Options
    Thanks for the info and positive feedback! So far so good!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Be sure to get enough electrolytes as this will help avoid "Keto Flu".

Whilst you say you haven't enough time for Meal Prepping, you'd be amazed how much time it can actually save you. I don't do Keto (have done low carb in the past but it's not for me) but I spend maybe 2 hours on a Saturday or Sunday prepping most of my lunches and dinners for the week, which mean I have a lot more spare time in the evenings. Maybe give it a try one day :smile:

Easy meals such as one tray Meat & Roasted Veggies takes 30 mins to cook and can be refrigerated for a couple of days or frozen and reheated later. Some great ideas here: https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/25-best-keto-sheet-pan-dinners-low-carb/

• Izabellesdance
    Options
    Thanks I'll def take a look! Im a perfectionist. A salad, the way I like it, takes me 45 min to chop up hahaaa! I do need to make time. I have two jobs including weekends so it is difficult but must give it another go. Thanks for the great advice!!!
  • jamnatmc
    jamnatmc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don’t meal prep, but I cook enough protein for 2-3 days. Always have saladbag, spinach, eggs, avocado, frozen broccoli and cauliflower on hand. Plan your meals for the week, guessing when u r hungry didn’t end well. Also Whole Foods has a good sugar free electrolyte powder, expensive but worth it.
  • KSJR78
    KSJR78 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Im just getting back on track with keto and intermittent fasting/omad.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I do like others are saying. I take a little time to cook up a lot of proteins in coconut or olive oil (like 1 lb of ground beef with taco seasonings, one pound of chicken cubed in Indian spices, a couple of ribeyes in Italian seasonings).

Then through the week I'll like use ground beef to throw on some spring mix greens with a sliced green onion, black olives, sliced avocado (or scoop of guacamole), chopped head of cilantro, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Takes me like 5-10 minutes to throw all of this in a bowl (making salad part while only warming one serving of beef, makes for a very quick meal).

The next day, I'll use same beef for a Mexican omelet and cook with bell peppers, top with sour cream and cheese.

I make a lot of different omelets or scrambled egg skillets with the different meats and veggies. Having the proteins precooked like this, each meal only takes a matter of minutes.

Throw vegetables in skillet of heated oil, salt, pepper heat for 5-10 minutes, throw in precooked steak or chicken.

Boiled eggs and tuna salad (mine: one can albacore tuna, 2-3 boiled eggs, 2-3 tbsp of olive oil mayo, salt and pepper, squeeze of lemon juice, and one drop of dijon mustard) are quick snacks to make and snack on for a few days.

Cheese loaves: I use feta, but could use any cheeses (beat egg, add crumbled block of feta, add about half a stick of melted butter, season salt, pepper, etc., mix very well, throw in a greased glass baking dish, in the oven 350 for 20-25 minutes, cut into squares, refrigerate, eat cold or reheat, snack on for a few days. Only takes about 5 minutes to prep.

These are a few of my favorite quick ways to eat keto. I hate standing over a stove or well, in the kitchen, so I try to find things that I can prep or pre-prep in 5-10 minutes.
  • malcolmjwaller
    malcolmjwaller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi
    i started a week ago and feel great so I recommend trying to get to under 20g and staying for a while so the results are as good as they can be.
    best info on keto is www.dietdoctor.com. so much info and science that backs up The Magic Pill
    Have fun with it