Upset about body composition test

Options
Today I got my body composition measured for the first time. It was included in my gym membership alongside a free meeting with a trainer. I wasn't really looking forward to it since years of eating disorders (I'm in recovery now) left me with a bit of anxiety towards scales, but I thought that I can handle it.
When I first saw my results I was pretty happy with them- 23% body fat, bmi (he weighed me with my clothes on) 22,2, I'm hydrated.

But the trainer said that I'm "slightly overweight" and should lose a bit of fat. Now I'm very confused and slightly upset at how uninterested that guy seemed in helping me - I wanted to ask him about how to start lifting, not about weight loss. With the way he talked about BMR someone less informed could easily conclude that you should not eat above it - I know that's not what he meant, but it kind of sounded like it.

I know it's not really a big deal but I had to vent a bit. I know that if the same thing happaned a few months ago it would probably trigger me to binge.
Did you guys have any similar interactions where trainers assumed that you want to lose weight?

Replies

• OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi OP - I am not surprised you are upset ! The good news is you knew something wasn't right - that trainer has showed you just how much they don't know, so steer clear and ignore the muppet. x
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Echoing "he's just trying to sell you stuff". Your BMI *and* your body fat percentage are perfectly normal and healthy. Ignore that idiot.

This is also why I always refuse to do any of those "free assessment" things at new gyms. I know my metrics, and I know my training goals and I know how to get there -- and I have a community-based RD. I'm not paying someone to make me feel bad about myself.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yeah your trainer is wrong. Find someone new to show you a lifting routine or look up some of the awesome information here. My recent body scan had similar results although my BMI is actually 24 with BF% 24. The consultant made no mention of needing to lose weight, just that I was considered in the fit category and where i would need to get to to see visible abs. Also depending on what measurement tool you used they are have varying degrees of accuracy depending on the method and your particular body type. I almost wonder if he was thinking of ranges for men (assuming you are female).

Lifting is great, so definitely find someone who can help you get started there, but probably not this guy.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    My dad talks nicely to the nice people who call him to offer him more money for his time share than he paid for it. And gets upset when I hang up on them after commenting on the mating habits of their close relatives.

I would be happy to handle a phone call to your gym guy for you...

This would be a GREAT side hustle! You could make some serious bank! :smiley: