Protein without cooking

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can pack for my lunch that will give me a lot of protein that I don't have to cook. Microwaving is ok. Obviously I know that I can precook meat and then microwave it, but I am looking to avoid this.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    canned tuna, turkey or chicken breast slices (watch the sodium, nitrates), leftover chili you bring from home.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    tuna
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Tuna?? But I hate tuna...but if you like it, it would be a good option! LOL!!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and protein powders.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 945 Member
    Smoothie in a resealable container containing egg whites/powder etc etc
  • Tuna, Eggs (they are even good microwaved!), Greek Yogurt...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Er, well it's only beef that doesn't work in the microwave?

And you can cook anything at home, then have it cold later?

Or jerky, tuna, cheese, nuts, fat free yogurt, whey, low fat cottage cheese
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Nuts.... no, seriously.
  • Simply Jif= 8g per 2 TBS. If you can refridgerate or have a cooler bag- Greek yogurt= 14g per 6oz. container.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    hard boiled eggs?
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,075 Member
    A Western Baglel Perfect 10 bagel has 18 grams of protein and 140 calories. You can order them through their site if you don't have a location near you (I'm in Alabama and order them online and put in freezer). Microwave 2 egg whites and 2 strips of bacon and eat it as a sandwich... total of 30 grams of protein (only has 10 net carbs).

Or you can add 2 tablespoons of Naturally More peanut butter which will add 10 more grams of protein for a total of 28.

You can make a lot of high protein combos with this and I eat one almost daily.
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Deli sliced roast beef... that's what I'm having for lunch today. I also often have cold roast chicken breast (buy at deli or leftover from roasting chicken). I like my food cold in this summer heat.

I also hard boil a bunch of eggs and keep them in the fridge for snacking. They keep up to 3 days cooked, unpeeled. Most of the time I throw away the yolk (I don't like cooked yolk), but sometimes I eat the whole thing if I need the extra calories.
  • rhia2
    rhia2 Posts: 6 Member
    hot or cold, canned chicken with a little bbq sauce is my favorite lunch!
  • crazypenrod1508
    crazypenrod1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Thank you for all the suggestions. It's amazing how simple these things are and I knew about them, but just didn't put it together. I had it stuck in my head that I needed to have meat, but I couldn't microwave my chicken or salmon unless I precooked it, but I don't have time to cook everyday.
  • Perdue Short Cuts - Chargrilled Chicken is already cooked and cut into strips, contains about 380mg of sodium per serving. Just pop it in the microwave for about 45 seconds and your good to go.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    A Western Baglel Perfect 10 bagel has 18 grams of protein and 140 calories. You can order them through their site if you don't have a location near you (I'm in Alabama and order them online and put in freezer). Microwave 2 egg whites and 2 strips of bacon and eat it as a sandwich... total of 30 grams of protein (only has 10 net carbs).

Or you can add 2 tablespoons of Naturally More peanut butter which will add 10 more grams of protein for a total of 28.

You can make a lot of high protein combos with this and I eat one almost daily.

Thanks.... these look amazing!!!! Great ingredients!
    http://www.westernbagel.com/products/the_perfect_10/perfect_10.php

With eggs, lowfat cheese, or nonfat cream cheese and PB, I can see how these could be addicting..... Just showed them to DH and asked if we should order some, he says "Sure, why not?" With my luck, he'll forget they're in the freezer and I can eat them all :wink:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Er, well it's only beef that doesn't work in the microwave?

Actually beef reheats well in the microwave if you save a little bit of the cooking juices and put it in the bottom of the container you are heating it in. You can also use a tiny bit of water to do the same thing.

I also have my hubby grill extra chicken breasts on the weekend to use in salads during the week.
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Half a cup of instant oatmeal, 1 scoop protein powder, hot water. High-protein, quick and easy.
  • lauristewart
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and protein powders.

GREAT IDEAS!!! I love to mix cottage cheese and yogurt!!!
  • lauristewart
    Half a cup of instant oatmeal, 1 scoop protein powder, hot water. High-protein, quick and easy.

I have never tried that before!!! I will have to try it!!! :laugh: