Lost weight = lost performance?

alexmose
alexmose Posts: 792 Member
Anyone else’s performance stall after just a few pounds lost? I mean like 5lbs.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    How many calories are you eating a day? What is your deficit? If you are in aggressive deficit, performance can often suffer.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2019
    Nope. Generally I gain strength during weight loss for 4-6 weeks. Which is the longest I ever try to cut since my goal is to get stronger long term.

I would agree with above that the more aggressive deficit over a long period of time can certainly effect fatigue and recovery which could lead to strength loss.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I live in a hilly place, so my performance is a matter of my watts:kilograms ratio. Losing weight always helps.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    I guess it depends what you consider performance and how you measure it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    That can happen if you’re not eating enough calories.
  • alexmose
    MikePTY wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating a day? What is your deficit? If you are in aggressive deficit, performance can often suffer.

Supposed to be bulking but scale says I’ve lost some weight. I’m eating about 1800 cal plus exercise. 112 lbs, 5’3 female, 19.1% bf
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    alexmose wrote: »

Supposed to be bulking but scale says I’ve lost some weight. I’m eating about 1800 cal plus exercise. 112 lbs, 5’3 female, 19.1% bf

If the scale is trending down on average over a couple weeks, you are not eating in a surplus.
  • alexmose
    Chieflrg wrote: »

If the scale is trending down on average over a couple weeks, you are not eating in a surplus.

Ya I’m trying to be better about eating more. Was just curious if it was me on the lost weight = worse performance.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Perhaps the weight you lost was muscle?
  • Five0Six
    Five0Six Posts: 112 Member
    What often comes off first - the first 5 or 10 pounds - is water weight. Losing pounds usually takes a little more time. It's normal, don't worry too much about it. Just keep on and you'll see more concrete results.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I've been hurt in various activities by being hungry, if that's what you mean. If you are going to do a big aerobic workout, it helps to eat something before.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Sometimes it is just about how you are fueling your body and when. I eat carbs before you workout and protein after. I do (all frozen except the spinach) acai puree, coconut water, spinach, pineapple, raspberry, peach or mango in the blender before a workout and vegan protein shake after. You could do whole fruit before (banana?) and hard boiled egg or chicken breast after if you want to eat whole food. Don't count it toward your calorie total for the day. I also do a BCAA drink while I work out. I like size slim - you can get any brand on Amazon, but I like the ones with Stevia instead of sucralose.
  • alexmose
    Momjogger wrote: »
    Sometimes it is just about how you are fueling your body and when. I eat carbs before you workout and protein after. I do (all frozen except the spinach) acai puree, coconut water, spinach, pineapple, raspberry, peach or mango in the blender before a workout and vegan protein shake after. You could do whole fruit before (banana?) and hard boiled egg or chicken breast after if you want to eat whole food. Don't count it toward your calorie total for the day. I also do a BCAA drink while I work out. I like size slim - you can get any brand on Amazon, but I like the ones with Stevia instead of sucralose.

Thanks for this. I’m pretty good at fueling myself. Was more curious if anyone else experienced a loss in performance (not as much volume) when you weigh less. Even if just by a couple pounds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited July 2019

Thanks for this. I’m pretty good at fueling myself. Was more curious if anyone else experienced a loss in performance (not as much volume) when you weigh less. Even if just by a couple pounds.

I'd argue that if you are losing weight while you are intending to be in a surplus, then your fueling needs improvement.

And yes, underfueling impacts performance.
  • alexmose
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'd argue that if you are losing weight while you are intending to be in a surplus, then your fueling needs improvement.

And yes, underfueling impacts performance.

Point taken