Garmin Running Plans

Options
Has anyone used the Garmin Coach plans for training for a race? I'm trying to decide between a standard plan and selecting one of the coach plans, since I can't really see what the coach plans look like until I add it.

Thanks

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I haven't used them, for no real reason except that I haven't. Why don't you add one and look at it and see if it's to your liking? The only benefit I see, since most running training programs are similar, is that the Garmin will keep track of your progress and usage, I think. Pick a plan and use it. Do you really see much of a difference among the several available?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I added a plan to my Garmin, but it was so rigid that it annoyed me. I rather have the plan on my calendar, then adjust to fit into my overall schedule as I go along. If my interval day won't work on Wednesday, I'll do it Thursday, that sort of thing.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I did the 5k plan, and found it really helped me get out of the habit of stopping to walk during shorter runs (was also marathon training using jeffing), it took me a hell of lot further than 5k too, as in my longest run was 6.5miles
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    I've done two of the 'fixed' plans, and two of the new Garmin Coach plans.
    100% go with the Garmin Coach. Yes you can't see in advance because it adapts. . . . that's a very good thing.

So you type in you want to set an outrageous goal in the 5K, add in all the other stuff, then it gives you 1 single workout. I little short run. After you do that it gives you a couple more days worth. Do that, then it starts to adapt (Hey the last four runs you did were really lagging and you rated them 'extremely hard' maybe we should adjust your 5K goal a little?) Additionally you can tell them you don't have a time goal, and it'll give you a mildly challenging and motivating plan.

Geeks: go with McMillian, high energy go with the Lady, nervous people go with the old dude.

You'll love it.
    @gcconroy29
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks so much everyone.