I have a bad attitude :(

Options
Serial dieter here, just turned 50 years old and heavier than ever (about 60 lbs to lose). I know how to lose weight, I know how to track and use a food scale, I know how many calories to eat, I know which exercises I can stick with, I know which foods are my trigger and I know not to eliminate items I enjoy. I have done this before, I've had success.

I struggle with following through and sticking with it, I have a bad attitude about losing weight. It makes me mad that I have to work so hard just to drop a 1/2 pound, I start questioning if the sacrifice is worth it. I feel like I lose my freedom and I can't be spontaneous, I'm chained to my MFP app and my set calories. I know I will feel hungry and get cranky and I just give up. I know I'm being ridiculous, I know I can eat foods that I enjoy within my calorie range, I know MFP works.

I need a kick in the pants and I need to drop the attitude !! How do I overcome this negative thinking and just DO IT without whining ?

Replies

• TulieRose21
    TulieRose21 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don’t think you can force yourself to lose weight if you don’t want to. Is there anything that could help you stick to it as motivation? A health goal, an item you will allow yourself to buy if you keep the weight off for a certain amount of time, etc?
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I do have motivators, health and personal ones, unfortunately they get tossed to the side and I revert back to old ways. Maybe I need to come up with something more fun and interesting to keep me going.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I didn't until I found the right motivation. Are you able to put your things that motivate you on the fridge or cupboards to help stop you eating too much?
  • TamLam99
    Options
    I do need to work on more specific goals and motivators, I know that about myself. And I have played around with meal timing and macros, I make notes on the days that I felt satisfied so I can recreate those but what works one day for me doesn't always work the next.

It's funny you used the word "rebelling", I have struggled with that my whole life, I guess I just don't like doing things that I have to do - LOL
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    TamLam99 wrote: »
    I do need to work on more specific goals and motivators, I know that about myself. And I have played around with meal timing and macros, I make notes on the days that I felt satisfied so I can recreate those but what works one day for me doesn't always work the next.

It's funny you used the word "rebelling", I have struggled with that my whole life, I guess I just don't like doing things that I have to do - LOL

I'm exactly like this. I don't like to be told what to do, even if it's ME who is doing the telling! I need therapy, but that aside, I've found that the fewer restrictions I put on my intake, the better success I have. The only thing I restrict is calories. I don't count carbs, fast, pay attention to macros, etc. I just eat whatever I want as long as it's within my calorie "budget." Restriction is an obstacle to my success!

I am absolutely that way! I tried to make everything as flexible as possible. I like having different calories from day to day and follow a weekly calorie goal. It allows me to go over unexpectedly and still know I haven't ruined my progress.
  • magnolialinen17
    magnolialinen17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    TamLam99- I feel exactly the same way! In January I was able to make changes. A friend recommend the Prime by Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary to me. Her wisdom and insight in the first few chapters helped me very much. Dr Chaudhry made an observation that helped change my outlook; She said loosing weight is difficult, so difficult that powerful, educated and driven people who are successful in all parts of their life can’t seem to loose weight, or loose it effectively. At first this insight made me feel hopeless, but her words helped me gained perspective, and I no longer was feeling like such a failure. I listened to more of her readings and then I chose to slow things down, and begin to repair and prepare my body for the challenge. I have been living a low carb (Keto) based lifestyle since January 19th and have had no interest in stopping. My weight loss has been slow, but I am content, and don’t feel like a failure any longer. I hope you find your peace.
    Mari
  • TamLam99
    Options
    TamLam99- I feel exactly the same way! In January I was able to make changes. A friend recommend the Prime by Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary to me. Her wisdom and insight in the first few chapters helped me very much. Dr Chaudhry made an observation that helped change my outlook; She said loosing weight is difficult, so difficult that powerful, educated and driven people who are successful in all parts of their life can’t seem to loose weight, or loose it effectively. At first this insight made me feel hopeless, but her words helped me gained perspective, and I no longer was feeling like such a failure. I listened to more of her readings and then I chose to slow things down, and begin to repair and prepare my body for the challenge. I have been living a low carb (Keto) based lifestyle since January 19th and have had no interest in stopping. My weight loss has been slow, but I am content, and don’t feel like a failure any longer. I hope you find your peace.
    Mari

I'll have to get my hands on this book.
  • jenhorsey
    jenhorsey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @TamLam99 This is a bit of a long read, but maybe spend some time with these techniques for managing thought distortions in weight loss.

https://ucalgary.ca/cdm/files/cdm/changeyourthinkingtohelpmanageyourweight20130412.pdf

My own progress is very slow, but I’m using these techniques and starting to appreciate it as progress, which is helping to keep me motivated.
  • TamLam99
    Options
    jenhorsey wrote: »
    @TamLam99 This is a bit of a long read, but maybe spend some time with these techniques for managing thought distortions in weight loss.

https://ucalgary.ca/cdm/files/cdm/changeyourthinkingtohelpmanageyourweight20130412.pdf

My own progress is very slow, but I’m using these techniques and starting to appreciate it as progress, which is helping to keep me motivated.

This is so simple yet so helpful
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Back in the day when weight loss blogs were common I would keep track of the weights people were posting, to see who was good at losing weight, and who was good at gaining. The number I followed was at least 50. With one exception, every single blogger had a rebound. "Losing for the gown" was her blog name. Her weight loss could only be described as "perfect". But she was the only one. Every blog with the exception of her had a rebound. Only about 15% made it to goal weight. Two thirds of those gained after reaching goal weight (my own included).
  • TamLam99
    Options
    trying to start the day with positive thoughts - I can do this, right ?
  • TamLam99
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Weight loss is liberation.

Consider this- maybe you don’t know so much. Or maybe you just know about the wrong things.

Weight loss is a matter of living within some reasonable limits. It’s not an injustice. Life has all kinds of limits. You may not get as much money as you want. Or the career or position you’d like to have. Few people seem to get as much love as they would like. How about time? Our time here is limited. Is this how you want the rest of your life to go? If not, you have to change it.

We live in a physical universe. If I let my favorite coffee cup slip from my hands, gravity will pull it to the floor and break it. I don’t think I’ve ever heard folks complaining about gravity. It’s just how it is.

Eat too many calories and our bodies store the excess. Just how it is. Our bodies are designed to survive hard times that have never arrived for most of us. It’s a good thing.

I thought weight loss would leave me on the outside looking in. I was wrong. Very wrong. Look at that little pic of me 3 years ago on that paddle board. I’m 66 years old in that pic. You should have seen me at 44 and 285 lbs. Never would have thought it possible.

You can do this. You can find a way. You can settle the argument in your head. Only real way out of you dilemma is to make it. Keep trying, you’ll see.

Very inspiring, thank you for the push :)