Calories burned during tennis

Options
Hello can you answer this for me? I just had a tennis session for 60 minutes and wore my Garmin which said I burned 934 calories. I created a new category under exercise and added those calories. It did not adjust the calories down. It added them to my daily intake that I am allowed. Is this correct or should it be a lower number? Thanks for any help

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I only log my tennis here. I have no watch.
    MFP gives me about 900 calories for 90 minutes of singles.
    I think I play a fairly vigorous game of tennis. I am ranked a USTA 4.0 and I play about three times per week. But I still feel like 900 calories is a bit generous. Maybe I am wrong. But I doubt that I burn that many calories.
    And, yes. That is what MFP does. It adds the calories to your prescribed daily intake. Then you log your food. And, at the end of the day, MFP tells you if you met your calorie goal (plus the exercise clalories) or if you did not.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ack0409 wrote: »
    Hello can you answer this for me? I just had a tennis session for 60 minutes and wore my Garmin which said I burned 934 calories. I created a new category under exercise and added those calories. It did not adjust the calories down. It added them to my daily intake that I am allowed. Is this correct or should it be a lower number? Thanks for any help

Is Garmin synced to MFP?

Sounds like it is, and you were correctly expecting the Garmin Adjustment to lower.

But Garmin also sends the workouts over if there is one on their side.

So wondering if you see 2 workouts on Garmin's side, like perhaps the time-stamp is off.
    With that Garmin would increase the daily burn.
    Send that to MFP.

And with math the Garmin Adj would not appear to lower since the Daily Burn went up by the same amount.

Just a thought.

That being said - it would be awfully hard to actually burn almost 1000 cal in an hour of workout, especially an interval nature like tennis - which is actually why a HR-based calorie burn would be inflated.
    HR-based is best estimate for steady-state aerobic - and tennis is not - HR all over the place.

This may be one to log on Garmin, or start to, and see what their estimate is, if really up there - use MFP as mentioned above if you sync accounts.