Weighing or measuring??

Options
Is it better to weigh everything and track in grams rather than use a measuring cup? Ex. shredded cheese or chopping up onion or tomatoes?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    It's more accurate to weigh anything you can. I use measuring cups for liquid items like pasta sauce.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    deezhd67 wrote: »
    Is it better to weigh everything and track in grams rather than use a measuring cup? Ex. shredded cheese or chopping up onion or tomatoes?

Yes.

Check out the video in this thread. It shows why.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • deezhd67
    deezhd67 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • deezhd67
    Options
    Makes total sense! Thanks again!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    There's a lot of effort and math involved in the first poster's helpful hints. Weighing, eating, weighing again. Sounds a lot more difficult and time consuming, in my opinion. 😯

There's only math when it involves something with inedible residue, like corn on the cob. That involves subtraction. Otherwise, it's just weighing and reading what the scale says, in order to log it. No math.
  • deezhd67
    Options
    I just want to thank you all again for the info. I've come across several items that I would have tracked incorrectly, had I not weighed them. Thanks!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Always weigh if it's an option, even liquids if you can.

One benefit of weighing is there is less clean up as you're not dirtying cups and spoons.

You just place the container on the scale and start adding ingredients, zeroing the scale between each different food if your scale allows it or just keeping a running tally.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Always weigh if it's an option, even liquids if you can.

One benefit of weighing is there is less clean up as you're not dirtying cups and spoons.

You just place the container on the scale and start adding ingredients, zeroing the scale between each different food if your scale allows it or just keeping a running tally.

Or the other way around: put the container with food on the scale, switch on, take food out, read off the negative number. I usually do that with liquids that I weigh.