Sources of Protein

Options
Hi guys,

I've just started using this fantastic tool to get leaner. I notice that i'm always short of protein. What are some easy ways to get protein?

Replies

• albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    eat meat
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    eat meat

This ^^^
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If your having a hard time get a low carb protein powder and mix it with water. Usually 125-130 cal, and 25 or so grams of protein.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If your having a hard time get a low carb protein powder and mix it with water. Usually 125-130 cal, and 25 or so grams of protein.

I agree with this, it's a good solution for me when I know I'm gonna be under but don't want to eat high cals.
  • brookums71
    brookums71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, so protein is always a huge issue. I also avoid soy, as it creates some health issues for me. I start out the morning with 2 scoops of protein powder, with milk. that gives me 63 grams of protein. I get all my protein I need for the day in one meal. I also use peanut butter sometimes. You can make an awesome protein pancake , one scoop of protein powder, 1 scoop of pancake mix. you can top it with peanut butter, that is a lot of protein, but not massive amounts of calories. I make my own hummus. You can add flavorfree protein powder with an omlettee. Greek yogurt has a great amount of protein. or you can add protein powder to oatmeal.
    good luck and hope this helped.
    Brooke
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    eat meat
    Smartass. :laugh:

He's right, though. Beef, chicken, pork, fish, shrimp. Also, nuts & eggs. Some veggies have higher protein than others, too, like spinach, mushrooms or beans. And I think tofu & seaweed, but I'm not usually that adventurous. :smile:

My doctor has me on a very low-carb high-protein diet for hyperinsulinemia, so I am supposed to eat 300-350g protein a day, and I have trouble getting that much in actual food. So I buy protein powder & mix up drinks with it, and supplement my diet with several of those each day. I know a lot of people won't eat 'processed' stuff like that, but I kind of have to, and there are some kinds that are really pretty tasty. I've even learned to bake things using protein powder instead of flour.

Check out some of the paleo or primal diet threads on here, they usually have some pretty good suggestions & recipes.
    Good luck!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Oh, and just as a general rule, if you're trying to burn fat & lose weight, I would try to eat more protein than "they" recommend. If your body wants to burn fat for energy, it also requires protein (the chemical reaction that converts fatty acids also requires amino acids). If you don't eat enough protein, your body will harvest that protein from the next nearest source: your muscles. So if you want to lose fat without losing muscle, make sure and eat plenty of protein. Everyone's metabolisms are different, you have to find out what levels will work best for you, but for starters I would consider the "official" recommendation to be a bare minimum.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Eggs and eggs and eggs and eggs... at least that's how I like to make sure I get enough protein! I don't know whether you eat meat, but if you do, you could be sure to snack on something meaty during the day - tuna fish, sardines, cured meat sticks, leftover roast meat, etc. I find that canned fish is especially good if you want to always have something easy on hand. If you like poultry, try roasting a bird on the weekend for a nice dinner and then eating the leftovers during the week. You can make stock from the bones, too!

And as for eggs... I can't say enough good things about them. If you can find a friend who has chickens, maybe they'll be willing to share some with you. Otherwise, try a farmers' market, or at the very least, buy cage-free organic at the store. If you're going to eat protein, it might as well be high-quality, right? I love having egg drop soup in the morning, so I get at least two eggs every day. If that doesn't appeal to you, maybe you could fry them, or scramble them, or bake them with savory ingredients to make a quiche-type dinner. And you can always add a raw egg to a smoothie - the risk of infection (for a healthy individual) from humanely-raised eggs is minimal. I've never gotten sick, anyway. Hard boiled eggs are a nice, quick afternoon snack, too.

Good luck trying to get that protein in! Hopefully it won't be that hard once you find something you really like. Send me a message if you're looking for any cooking suggestions!