Weighing food and caloric amounts

Options
srenert
srenert Posts: 4 Member
How do you all log your foods? Specifically frozen items like shrimp, etc?
I've found that while frozen the same food can weigh almost 2-3oz more than if defrosted...

What's the accurate amount to log - frozen vs. defrosted?

Replies

• MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I always defrost first, for the reason you mentioned - frozen food can weigh more, but it's only water. If I eat 6 ounces of something, I want the whole 6 ounces, not 4 ounces + 2 ounces water.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Look at the nutritional information on the container and then search the database. It will give you an idea of what you should be logging.
  • srenert
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Look at the nutritional information on the container and then search the database. It will give you an idea of what you should be logging.

that doesn't really make sense.... if the container said to which state the nutritional info applied to (frozen vs. thawed), i wouldn't be asking.
  • srenert
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Weigh it frozen, especially if you purchased it frozen. The amount of water in it is already accounted for. If you buy fresh and freeze it yourself, weigh before freezing and label the package with the fresh weight.

maybe, but it always seems to be "more" frozen in my freezer than it ever is in the store. that's why i'm wondering. additional ice seems to accumulate on top of the food. i wouldn't be concerned if it was a few grams here and there, but 2-3oz / serving (shrimp for example) is quite a difference.
  • srenert
    Options
    MollyJE19 wrote: »
    I always defrost first, for the reason you mentioned - frozen food can weigh more, but it's only water. If I eat 6 ounces of something, I want the whole 6 ounces, not 4 ounces + 2 ounces water.

i would think the same way, but want to make sure i'm not under-logging then...
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    If it's prepackaged then you use the frozen weight. You're only going to be able to be but so precise.

If you thaw it first, then you're under-logging. Not a big issue with many vegetables, but for more caloric foods it will make a difference.

Again, unless the bag specifies cook or as prepared.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    srenert wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Weigh it frozen, especially if you purchased it frozen. The amount of water in it is already accounted for. If you buy fresh and freeze it yourself, weigh before freezing and label the package with the fresh weight.

maybe, but it always seems to be "more" frozen in my freezer than it ever is in the store. that's why i'm wondering. additional ice seems to accumulate on top of the food. i wouldn't be concerned if it was a few grams here and there, but 2-3oz / serving (shrimp for example) is quite a difference.

Then there is something wrong with how you wrap things after opening. Additional frost should not accumulate on frozen foods, it causes freezer burn. One way to deal with it would be to run it under the faucet long enough to get rid of the extra frost but not thaw the food itself, then weigh.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    srenert wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

that doesn't really make sense.... if the container said to which state the nutritional info applied to (frozen vs. thawed), i wouldn't be asking.

You asked a question. I answered to the best of my ability.