Just went to McDonald's and now I'm feeling super guilty.

Options
Tonight my friends and I went to McDonald's. I was planning on having a salad and water or something like that. But I ended up eating a Cheddar McMelt + Large Soda + Large Fries. And today I didn't go to the gym.
I ate 600 more calories than I should have eaten today, but I've been eating only healthy things the whole freaking week. Do you guys think is okay to have a little "treat" every once in a while? I mean, if you eat fast food, like, once in a week, but in the other six days, you're under your calorie goal, is it going to ruin everything?
I'd be very happy to know what you think about this (:

Replies

• youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    Personally I think of course it's ok. It's not like you will never again in your entire life eat any fast food. The key is to keep it a rare event and to log it into MFP.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I do it. Got to cut loose now and then.....just ditch the guilt!
  • theslackjaw
    Options
    I agree! It's not necessarily a bad thing! Don't make it a habit though. We're allowed to splurge on ourselves once in a while!
  • rachyz88
    rachyz88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree! Just don't make it a habit. I had a cheat day too..... I feel terrible for it. But its natural =)
  • wvfrog22
    wvfrog22 Posts: 44
    Options
    I don't find anything wrong with this. If you want something just have it or you will eat much more trying to satisfy yourself. That being said, if I really wanted McDonald's I would get it but probably stick with the dollar fry. Best of luck to you!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Food Happens!!
    Just make up for it some other way.
    Don't beat yourself up about it.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It happens - don't beat yourself up. Account for it in your food diary and move on. Tomorrow is another day.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    one time... I met my calorie goal, then my boyfriend and best friend came over... and I drank 3 smifnoff ice coolers (250 calories each) then 2 mikes hard lemonades (about 220 each)... then I got the drunchies,,, and we ordered dominos.. and I ate the ENTIRE pizza...

A few days prior to that I ate out at McDonalds and got a meal + McFlurry... and I ate an entire bag of chips (1200+ calories)...

And i still didn't sway much from looking like I do in my "after" picture in my signature..
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Next time make concessions. Don't get the whole meal and super size it. Get just the burger. Or just the fries. Make the soda a diet.

It's not that you can't have things, you just have to be smart about your choices. This won't ruin your entire week but next time do better.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Who cares if I think it's ok, do you think it's ok???? This is one of my downfalls on my journey - wondering if my decision are ok with others, when in the end it only matters if 1) It works for me and 2) I'm getting results.

If you find that "treating" yourself once in a while or even often doesn't effect your journey or your desired results then what anyone else thinks just really doesn't matter.

And certainly DO NOT feel guilty about it. That is what leads to the ol' indulge
    >guilt
    >restrict
    >overindulge
    >guilt
    >restrict some more cycle.
  • ajfranzen77
    Options
    I say if you want it eat it. I however have not had any fast food in almost 6 months. The thought of eating a greasy cheeseburger makes me a little ill. But that is me, I knew that if I kept eating fast food I would never loose weight.
  • elvisbabe304
    Options
    I ate at Red Robin for lunch today and my burger and fries put me 300 calories over!! I feel sick now because of it...but tomorrow is a new day and there is still time to get some exercise in!!!
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Tonight my friends and I went to McDonald's. I was planning on having a salad and water or something like that. But I ended up eating a Cheddar McMelt + Large Soda + Large Fries. And today I didn't go to the gym.
    I ate 600 more calories than I should have eaten today, but I've been eating only healthy things the whole freaking week. Do you guys think is okay to have a little "treat" every once in a while? I mean, if you eat fast food, like, once in a week, but in the other six days, you're under your calorie goal, is it going to ruin everything?
    I'd be very happy to know what you think about this (:
    I see nothing wrong with it. The site gives you a guideline on how many calories to consume in order to lose weight (if that is your goal), by giving you a number which is a deficit compared to what your body "normally" requires in order to function. Going over that number simply means you're not going to have that deficit, which means your efforts to lose (again, if that is your goal) will be hampered.

Life happens...don't let it get you down. Just get back on track as soon as you can. :)

If it makes you feel any better, I had a craving for french fries today, so I treated myself to a "value" size of Burger King's. Then when I logged it, the phrase "What have I DONE?!?" went through my head. A "value" size of BK fries has 220 calories! And they weren't all that appealing to me...I think I just had a salt craving and I made a choice. It didn't put me over for the day, but I'll know to make better choices should that happen again...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it...Honestly, it's one day.

Today I was so busy doing crap that I didn't eat anything until almost noon, and even then it was some fruit and toast.. enter 4 o clock when I went to culvers and had a burger, fries, root beer and ice cream.. and tomorrow I'm going out for a friends birthday and were having pizza/going to a bar.

Life happens... and you just gotta roll with it.
  • hjames0486
    Options
    It's perfectly fine. I constantly tell myself that I'm not on a diet but I'm doing a lifestyle change. I equate diet with cutting out all the unhealthy foods and really restricting myself. However, a lifestyle change I think of learning how to eat healthier options as well as portion control with everything good or bad.

When you finally hit your goal weight, you are going to still want to eat "regular" food or enjoy nights out with friends and family and you don't want to have to restrict yourself to only a salad. The key is everything in moderation. I have days when I go over my daily calories but I'm under for weekly, so it kind of balances out.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    For one its happpened and is done,dont feel guilty let it go.A treat every now and then is not going to kill you.I have treats all the time and its not hurting me any.Dont beat yourself up.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    its one day call it your free day for the week and start fresh tomorrow and you`ll be fine (just don`t make it an everyday habbit kwim)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I see lots of people saying that you should not feel guilty. This is nice and kind but I do not think it is supportive of any goals you have to lose weight or improve your lifestyle.

I have also fallen off the wagon a few times and this has made me disappointed in myself. Especially as I have seen such success so far.

I say that it is good that you are feeling some guilt. Now take this feeling and use it to make better decisions tomorrow. Remember how it feels to let your self down and make a commitment to not do it again.

I am absolutely not trying to be mean or to hurt your feelings.

What I want to get across is that you are the master of your body. And, the decisions required to make and keep a healthy body are not always easy.

Best of luck with your journey.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It's only ok on one condition: you cannot feel guilty and beat yourself up about it. Actually, two conditions - it can't be more than once a week.

But if it's going to make you feel bad - either emotionally or physically, then don't do it.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    it's OK... it's already in the past now anyway... don't beat yourself up over it. hope you enjoyed it! view it as a once in a great while thing and you will be fine. :-)