Protein in college!

Options
honu18
honu18 Posts: 294 Member
Soooo--I'm in college, and just recently started living off campus, which requires cooking, which I'm fine with. However, I'm always short on time and usually get home and want to eat very soon after I get back because I don't eat much of a lunch. I also am a pseudo-vegetarian, as in I don't eat beef or pork. I do eat chicken and turkey, but the thing is, I don't really like to cook it or want to take the time to cook it (raw chicken is pretty gross..). My dinners usually consist of a salad, and lately I've been having deli turkey on a wheat wrap for dinner (first week back=adjustment). Also don't really have a grill in the apartment..so yeah. I think I'm going to get some veggie burgers, as I like those a lot. And maybe some greek yogurt for the morning. If not that, I have cereal with soymilk. Anyone else have any more suggestions on how to get more protein? Protein bars, perhaps? Does anyone have any suggestions of good tasting protein bars? Heading to the grocery store tomorrow, so any suggestions are much appreciated!

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    deli meats or nuts is what I would do. Or frozen skinless chicken strips.
  • streetnamejim
    Options
    I like Almonds (raw), chick peas, and black beans myself. Almonds are probably the most compatible with the college lifestyle. :)
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Tuna - the packs are convenient and quick! Good Luck :)
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    eggs, hardboiled are pre-packaged!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Soy beans
    Turkey jerky
    Almonds
    Tuna
    Beans (cheap!)
    Cottage cheese
    Tofu
    Eggs
    YUM :)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Do you have an electric teapot or hot plate to warm up water, and a refrigerator? Hard-boiled eggs were always one of my staple foods. Boil up a whole dozen, then keep 'em in the fridge for a quick snack any time. Right now, I keep a lot of protein powder around & mix up a drink or two a day, but those powders tend to be kind of pricey for a college student. Eggs, spam, lunchmeats are good cheap protein sources. And someone else suggested nuts, too, that's another good idea.

Good luck!
  • mccrockl
    mccrockl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I carry protein bars with me to school for lunch because of how easy and transportable they are. I like the Power Crunch Protein Energy Bars. I have tried the French vanilla creme and the peanut butter creme wafers. They are pretty good and feel kinda like desserts. That said, I don't feel like I get proper nutrition when I eat them (feel guilt without a single veggie or fruit).
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    fry up some ground turkey and keep it in the fridge and just heat it up when you want to eat!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    So, my suggestions contain a lot of sodium but I don't mind it....

Turkey smoked sausage, hillshire farm stuff is all pre cooked, all you have to do is microwave it to warm it. Same with turkey ham. Canned chicken breast, can be eaten straight out of the can, good on salads, or soaked in Frank's red hot and put on a wrap (YUMS). Canned tuna. You can also buy frozen chicken breast that is coated and can be cooked from frozen, just stick it in the oven for 50min or so. Hormel real bacon pieces.