Easy avocado toast

Options
FibroHiker
FibroHiker Posts: 342 Member
I looked up some posts on avocado toast on MFP and felt that people are making it WAY more complicated than it needs to be. Sure, if you're only having the avocado on the bread it's pretty boring and needs some oomph and therefore requires extra effort, but adding other more flavorful ingredients to the toast can make it much more easy in the morning.

How to: lightly toast a piece of rye bread (or any of your favorite bread), add 1/4th avocado mashed and spread (that's all!), A sprinkle of garlic powder, topped with smoked salmon, poached egg, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

Hardest part was getting everything out and ready while waiting for the water to boil. I had it for breakfast this morning and it was a nice change of pace.

(sorry, I still can't make the app work to post pictures from my phone)

Replies

• GettingskinnyforME
    GettingskinnyforME Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have done this with chunky guacamole and I add reduced fat feta cheese and a hard boiled egg and its DELISH!! sometimes I'll sprinkle some hot sauce on it as well!!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    When I make my breakfast of avocado toast topped with eggs over easy, with a side of raspberries and blueberries, it takes less than 10 minutes. That includes the time it takes me to seed the avocado and make my guacamole. And that's not rushing. 😃
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    When I make my breakfast of avocado toast topped with eggs over easy, with a side of raspberries and blueberries, it takes less than 10 minutes. That includes the time it takes me to seed the avocado and make my guacamole. And that's not rushing. 😃

I'm not sure I spend 10 minutes in an entire day making food most days....maybe if you counted packing it up to take to work and stuff, I'd get close to that.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I skip the bread, crack an egg in the hole in the middle and bake it in the oven.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    I love playing around with recipes. That's a big part of what makes me able to stick to my meal plan. I realize that not everyone enjoys time in the kitchen. We've all got to find our own way on this journey. ☺
  • COGypsy
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I love playing around with recipes. That's a big part of what makes me able to stick to my meal plan. I realize that not everyone enjoys time in the kitchen. We've all got to find our own way on this journey. ☺

I like cooking with other people or for special meals--I'm very popular at potlucks and holidays! But for everyday keeping body and soul together, I've found that there are very nice people that you can pay to bring you all the food you need :D:p
  • FibroHiker
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I have you all beat! Open 100 calorie pack of Wholly Guacamole. Apply to toast. Consume. Quick and tasty!

This is a really good idea.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    I have you all beat! Open 100 calorie pack of Wholly Guacamole. Apply to toast. Consume. Quick and tasty!

Not sure how (1) open box (2) open individual tub and (3) apply to toast is easier or quicker than (1) cut avocado and (2) apply to toast.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options

Not sure how (1) open box (2) open individual tub and (3) apply to toast is easier or quicker than (1) cut avocado and (2) apply to toast.

But isn't '(1) cut avocado' actually several steps, including peeling the skin, removing the stone, and then washing your hands which are now covered in avocado goop before you can pick up the knife?
  • JennyG73
    JennyG73 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I put Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel seasoning on my avocado toast. Sometimes with an egg, sometimes w/o. SO good and easy!
  • JennyG73
    JennyG73 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I skip the bread, crack an egg in the hole in the middle and bake it in the oven.

How long do you bake it? I've never had warm avocado...
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

But isn't '(1) cut avocado' actually several steps, including peeling the skin, removing the stone, and then washing your hands which are now covered in avocado goop before you can pick up the knife?

Obviously, you need a lesson in prepping an avocado. 😂
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »

Slice avocado and twist to open.
    One side will not have the pit.
    Scoop flesh out with a spoon onto your toast.
    Spread with the knife you used to cut.

Clean hands, about 1/4 price of the avocado in a pack. Also, at least you know you are just eating avocado.

Clearly you are all just way better than I am at successfully choosing an avocado in the right stages of ripeness :)
  • FibroHiker
    Options
    JennyG73 wrote: »
    I put Trader Joe's Everything But the Bagel seasoning on my avocado toast. Sometimes with an egg, sometimes w/o. SO good and easy!

Oooh! This sounds really good
  • COGypsy
    Options

I think it’s pretty much all a pain for little reward whether you cut something or squirt something. I’ve had avocado toast a handful of times and just don’t see what the attraction is. I use a meal delivery service for most of what I eat, so my favorite breakfast is whatever I grab and zap when I get to the office.
  • FibroHiker
    Options

I think it’s pretty much all a pain for little reward whether you cut something or squirt something. I’ve had avocado toast a handful of times and just don’t see what the attraction is. I use a meal delivery service for most of what I eat, so my favorite breakfast is whatever I grab and zap when I get to the office.

For me it's getting some healthy fats in the morning in a tasty way. The fats help to keep my stomach fuller for a little bit longer in the morning so I don't get hungry so soon before lunch.