Cheat Days

Options
bjkoziara
bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I am sure many people have shared their sentiments on "cheat days", but I wanted to get something off my chest.

I struggle(d) with disordered eating. Not an eating disorder - there is a difference - but a disordered thought pattern surrounding food, and a very unhealthy relationship with it.

There were a lot of different ways that these thoughts presented themselves; but the biggest part of it for me (and by far the most disturbingly normalized part) was assigning value to foods, which came along with failed attempts at cutting out entire food groups that I deemed to have a negative value, and feeling guilt, shame, and embarrassment when I would "cheat".

But cheat on what, exactly? A healthier lifestyle? A healthy lifestyle can (and should) include all kinds of food! Sure, there are some foods that have more to offer nutritionally, but something I am working every day to remember is that food is not inherently "good" or "bad". If I have a donut for breakfast, I'm not "being bad" or having a "cheat" meal, but simply enjoying a donut for breakfast.

It took me a long time and a lot of failed attempts at losing weight before this all clicked for me. I worked through some of it and still deal with my binging problem. It's been more than a month since my last binge, and I found this article particularly helpful in bringing me back down to Earth. I'm working to identify some of the triggers that cause me to binge, and one of the biggest ones was labeling foods as "bad". That always lead to guilt, and before I knew it, feeling guilty about having that one "cheat" donut turned into shame-eating an entire box of them.

I'm not implying that anyone who uses the term cheat day or cheat meal has an eating disorder, or even that they struggle with any sort of disordered eating. What I am saying is that it's a far too normalized way of thinking about food in general, and can certainly contribute or lead to some potentially dangerous ways of thinking about food.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are well on your way to developing a healthier relationship with foods, congrats for that! I agree with you. Rather than having a cheat meal or day, I prefer to work foods, and meals, that some may consider cheating, into my daily calorie budget. It seems a logical conclusion for losing, and hopefully someday, maintaining a healthy weight.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Your article link doesn't work for me.
  • bjkoziara
    edited July 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Funny enough, when I was searching for it on Google, a thread on MFP that @MikePTY posted recently came up.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10748201/four-terms-that-make-dietitians-cringe-why-we-say-what-we-do-on-these-boards/p1
  • bjkoziara
    Options
    I don't cheat. Ever. I live my life and that means that a select number of days have more calories in them than others. My plan allows for everything from mistakes to overfeeding on vacation... it is just life.

I believe once you figure out how to eat a healthy number of calories and not be hungry weight loss is almost entirely mental. If I need a day off I take one. It is just me managing myself not cheating.

Absolutely. What many call "cheating", and what I used to as well, I now think of as living my life.

I also used to struggle with "falling of the wagon". I would have a day where I went over on calories, feel guilt and shame again, and then think that I'd already set myself back, so what's the point of continuing?

Now, it's just life. I try not to have emotions associated with food anymore. Even good ones. Emotional eating is how I got to be 360 pounds, so not attaching those feelings to food anymore has been successful. Now I try to think of it as an energy source instead.

• NovusDies
    Options
    bjkoziara wrote: »
    I don't cheat. Ever. I live my life and that means that a select number of days have more calories in them than others. My plan allows for everything from mistakes to overfeeding on vacation... it is just life.

I believe once you figure out how to eat a healthy number of calories and not be hungry weight loss is almost entirely mental. If I need a day off I take one. It is just me managing myself not cheating.

Absolutely. What many call "cheating", and what I used to as well, I now think of as living my life.

I also used to struggle with "falling of the wagon". I would have a day where I went over on calories, feel guilt and shame again, and then think that I'd already set myself back, so what's the point of continuing?

Now, it's just life. I try not to have emotions associated with food anymore. Even good ones. Emotional eating is how I got to be 360 pounds, so not attaching those feelings to food anymore has been successful. Now I try to think of it as an energy source instead.

I like reading things like this because I am as positive as I possibly can be that I will make it all the way to wherever I intend to shift into maintenance. When I see this I believe that you will too. The main thing that changed for me was a shift in mindset. It has made it all easier. Not easy but easier.

• NovusDies
    Options

Funny enough, when I was searching for it on Google, a thread on MFP that @MikePTY posted recently came up.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10748201/four-terms-that-make-dietitians-cringe-why-we-say-what-we-do-on-these-boards/p1

That was a good find by @MikePTY.
  • bjkoziara
    Options

I like reading things like this because I am as positive as I possibly can be that I will make it all the way to wherever I intend to shift into maintenance. When I see this I believe that you will too. The main thing that changed for me was a shift in mindset. It has made it all easier. Not easy but easier.

Thank you. I'm really glad it's working for you and I know you will definitely get to that point. I used to think to lose weight I had to hate myself enough, but this time around it's because I love myself enough. I just started but I am already sure that I'll get to the point of maintaining
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am struggling to stay on track and thought the prospect of incorporating a planned "cheat day" might help me. Unfortunately, you reminded me of my own unhealthy attitudes toward food. Refined sugars and flour only leave me craving more. Cheat days might work for some people, but I think I'm better off not to indulge.
  • ryanmichaelhorn
    ryanmichaelhorn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this! No such things as good and bad foods. Just moderation.
  • QueenofCaffeine4Life
    Options
    @bjkorovka This was exactly what I needed to read today. I am horrible about this. Anytime I eat anything not on my 'approved list of foods' I feel like a failure. It is a mindset. I need balance and to not think of food as the enemy. Thanks for your wisdom.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to learn not to be afraid of food. I am working on recovering from anorexia. This post has been very inspiring