Options
2»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    82EC wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    It sounds like you’re starving yourself, if you were eating enough you wouldn’t care about losing weight everyday. Don’t punish yourself for weightloss. Also, understand that you aren’t actually “gaining” it’s just water retention/fluctuation. Your weight will always settle back to what it’s supposed to be as long as you’re on track with calories. I also suggest for you to stop weighing yourself everyday, it works for some people but it doesn’t sound like you’re one of them.

You need to make this into a sustainable lifestyle, so you can maintain your weight WHEN you get to your goal. Try to enjoy and trust the process.
    This makes no sense to me. Why would caring about losing weight every day be automatically indicative of someone starving themselves? I personally can get pretty unhappy about not losing every day and I'm definitely not starving myself. I reread the OP's post a few times and I'm not seeing anything relating to under eating.

OP - I have a handful of ways I deal with this when it comes up for me (I'm currently in the middle of this). In no particular order:
    1. If I've consistently been really unhappy with the numbers on the scale I simply won't weigh myself. It's not worth the frustration.
    2. If it seems like my numbers aren't actually moving down over the course of a number of weeks I'll tighten up my logging/eating. I don't log especially tightly because that tends to cause more emotional stress than it's worth for me and I lost over 60 lbs doing what I'm doing now.
    3. I will weigh myself but not look at the number or only briefly glance at it - this only really works for me because my scale is connected to WIFI and the numbers get uploaded
    4. I remember that weight loss is full of ups and downs and that's while it's frustrating, it's totally normal
    5. Remember that weight fluctuates from day to day
    6. Recognize that my goal is actually totally realistic, my timeline is very realistic, and that I will get there if I keep doing what I'm doing

Because you’re expecting immediate results due to under eating. Anyone with a basic understanding of weight loss would know that daily weight loss is not sustainable nor attainable unless severely obese or due to extreme calorie restriction. The extreme calorie restriction is also unsustainable for most people unless they are seeing immediate results = daily weight loss. Must I explain further or do you get it now ?

Just to clarify I was severely obese when I was losing a bit every day - it did not mean I was under eating then and it does not mean that now. I am no longer severely obese which is why I am no longer losing a bit every day, so that is why I am asking this question about how to cope with the slower losses.

My advice stays more or less the same though. What can you do to make today feel normal and happy-ish so you don't need a scale number to motivate you?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Trending weight apps help and if not, then perhaps its best to weigh in only once a week/month.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Five0Six wrote: »
    If you feel compelled to weigh daily, hold those numbers (maybe write them down somewhere) and then at the end of the week, average them out. That will give you a more realistic idea of what you're losing. Also try keeping track your measurements. That can help keep you going when the numbers aren't budging.

And as MikePTY said, it is not normal or expected to lose everyday. There is so much that goes into daily fluctuations. Even the placement of your scale just scooting over one inch can change the numbers on it.

You'll end up rage quitting if you don't relax a bit about the daily weigh in.

I do this method, weighing daily then updating MFP on Saturday with my average for week. If you are close to goal, you are reaching the point where you should be maintaining soon. So anytime the scale doesn't trend upwards is a win, even if it stays the same. There comes a point where there is no more weight to lose, not if you want to stay healthy. Maybe take this time to start trying to re-train your brain to accept small fluctuations as a win, and how to value big picture trend over daily check-in.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I used to chart in Excel and after I got an iphone, Happy Scale.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Losing weight every day? Just not gonna happen throughout your weight loss journey. I weigh today what I did on June 17, after bouncing around both a pound higher and lower for the weeks in between. If you can’t handle the fluctuations, daily weighing is not for you.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, log it in an app, and move on with my day. As long as my overall trend is downward (or maintaining, depending on where I am), then I don't worry about it a bit.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I lost 0.1 today - yeah!!