question about heart rate monitors and high blood pressure

Options
One of my weight loss buddies asked me this and I didn't know how to answer because I don't have a heart rate monitor. When she exercises, her HRM shows that she has burned almost twice as many calories as this website shows that I have burned. We are pretty similar in size although she is about 10 pounds lighter than me. For example, we went to spin class today and MFP shows that I burned 477 calories. Her HRM shows she burned about 1000 calories. She has high blood pressure and she is a recreational smoker (is there such a thing?). What would account for the differences in our calorie burn? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing when I compared cal burn on an HRM strap vs not. I will be interested to see what people say....
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    This site uses a general calculator based on your age, height, weight, and the activity. When you use a HRM, you enter the same info sex weigt height and age, but it is constantly monitoring your heart rate and therefore will give you an acurate count of how many calories you burn, My best example is my hour on the treadmill, the treadmill tells me I burned 300 calories MFP gives me a different number and my HRM says 500. I use the HRM because I trust it the most.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    So, the high blood pressure and smoking doesn't influence anything?
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    "So, the high blood pressure and smoking doesn't influence anything? " If the blood pressure races her heart then yes it would read more calories burned. Smoking in and of itself speeds up the heart. I was told before I quit smoking that a pack a day burns approximately 700 calories (hence why most people won't quit or gain when they do). So it is quite possible that she is burning that many calories. I love my HRM with chest strap. Better idea of how hard I am working. :wink:

This is what I am thinking, but I am not a professional. Just makes sense to me.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dfoskey
    dfoskey Posts: 3
    Options
    YOU ARE ABSOLUTLY RIGHT :wink: DID YOU KNOW THAt laughing also burns calories?