TallGent66: progress, hit the wall, frustrated...

Options
New here. Hello! Former semi athletic man trying to get back in shape. Recently hit the Wall. Frustrated.

6'6", broad shoulders
SW: 315
CW: 286
GW: 245?

Lost 30 pounds in 5-6 weeks: low to very low calorie diet, plus moderate to very active days. On good days, walked 2 hours on a local trail, plus 60-90 minutes treading water. Also used some intermittent fasting.

Hit a wall. Just took up hiking a local peak / ridge - about 2.1 miles up (over 700' elevation); up and back today in 1 hour, 45 minutes. I feel legs responding, wind getting better, but weight not moving. Being mid 50s, eating approx 800-1,000 calories a day.

Why no weight loss the past week of hiking? One guess is the more vigorous hiking is building leg muscles. (Previously, SALT was my nemesis, chips or crackers causing water retention). Next option is to add upper body weight work.

Feedback appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    What the others said you're eating way too little. Add some more calories and inner you'll be surprised that you lose
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you. FWIW, the biggest weight drop was in the beginning. Nutrition calculation here says my carbs are around 45-52% per day, protein around 20%. Considering upping protein.

(BMI has always seemed off for me and athletic friends at 6'6". Even in late 20s, working out 3-6 hours per day, even w / NBA players, I was rarely below 230. Mainly Cardio and lifting. In 2000 (40 yo), I headed to Europe in decent shape at 240#. Backpacked for 10 weeks, 40# pack, walked everywhere, came back 235#. But legs were shredded! (Doc said I should be 205#. I told him he was crazy.) Hence my 245 GW. Friend in FLA, 6'6", 65, in great shape at 235#.)
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    BMI isn't an accurate guide for anything really

The fact you're under eating is the issue. 800-1000 calories isn't healthy for anyone let alone someone 6'6"
  • TallGent66
    edited July 2019
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »

The fact you're under eating is the issue. 800-1000 calories isn't healthy for anyone let alone someone 6'6"

Thank you. I figured outside of excercise, my activity level is fairly low. Desk or reading, and a little walking or yard work. Not currently taking mass transit, stairs or such.

I could see a difference in Europe. First, overweight people rare (except for American tourists). And out for drinks in Prague (wonderful!) or London - most of the men seemed slim or average ... rarely did any man look like he ever lifted weights or was 'buff'.

(Prague kicker. Had a fancy dinner with some British school teachers. I had a large appetizer plate with meats and cheese; 2 Pilsners; a steak stuffed w Feta cheese; grilled potatoes; 2 glasses of Cab and the dessert of the night. Whole meal, incl tip, $10! In the Old City.)
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    TallGent66 wrote: »

Thank you. I figured outside of excercise, my activity level is fairly low. Desk or reading, and a little walking or yard work. Not currently taking mass transit, stairs or such.

Your body still needed energy to Do it's daily functions. Depriving yourself that much isn't doing you any favours. It's easy to fall into that trap but it's not sustainable or healthy. Add some calories and you'll feel better and most likely do better
  • TallGent66
    edited July 2019
    Options
    TallGent66 wrote: »
    BMI isn't an accurate guide for anything really ...

(Prague kicker. Had a fancy dinner with some British school teachers. I had a large appetizer plate with meats and cheese; 2 Pilsners; a steak stuffed w Feta cheese; grilled potatoes; 2 glasses of Cab and the dessert of the night. Whole meal, incl tip, $10! In the Old City.)

Even at a sedentary activity level without exercise your calorie needs for the day for maintenance are going to be just under 3000 calories. My own TDEE without exercise is around 2400 calories. The maximum recommended deficit is 1000 calories (2 lbs per week) so you shouldn't be eating below 2000 really.

Thank you!

1. Interesting, I read somewhere that people generally need 2100 calories, but less (1600?) in their 50s. Just googled my TDEE, yes, above 2500.

2. Currently hiking 1-2 hours per day. Just reading multiple sources that I'll need .7 grams per pound of protein intake to build muscle?!? (For legs.) That's 200 grams a day!?

That's a challenge! 4 chicken thighs get me halfway there... every day. Ugh. I have DeliFresh Oven baked turkey, but that has sodium, so a problem to consume large quantities, just like bacon. Ugh. And eggs have cholesterol.

3. I confess ignorance. Thought carbs were primarily chips, bread, potatoes. Didn't know some veggies were carbs.

4. On a reduced calorie diet, doesn't the body first burn fat? Fat easier to burn than muscle?

Thank you all!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
  • TallGent66
    edited July 2019
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

Thank you RA. Day 1 of increased protein helped. Hopefully not a fluke.
  • TallGent66
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Several days upping the calories, specifically protein ... knock on wood ... so far, very good results.

Salt in protein - i.e. OM Deli Fresh Turkey and bacon an issue. I see another reason why egg whites and chicken so popular.

Thanks again for feedback.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Your problem is simply not enough calories!!! Even a woman needs more than 1000 calories a day.
  • TallGent66
    edited July 2019
    Options
    poisonesse wrote: »
    Your problem is simply not enough calories!!! Even a woman needs more than 1000 calories a day.

That was apparently part of it. Now around 1400 per day, we'll see. Plenty of fat stores, but I feel very good at 245. (Current goal. BMI doesn't work on the end of the bell curve.)

(I try to be honest as our modern day lifestyles have enabled extremely low activity for some. I have friends who's telecommute is from the desk, to the couch, to the microwave. Really. I'm above that, hike and do yardwork, etc., but nothing like when I burned 3-5,000 calories a day, or sailed the San Francisco bay as an amateur sailor for 6-10 hours.)

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    1500 is the minimum daily calorie amount recommended for men, to ensure adequate nutrition. And that's probably for an average-height male, not a tall guy like yourself! You're still under-eating.

Protein is in a lot more things than just meat. There is this thread, but I'm not sure how easy it is to use the information. It might be helpful for a start though.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1

Please eat more. Not just protein, but everything!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    No one else mentioned your exercise, but it sorta sounds like you are trying to go from 0 to 60 in 1.2 seconds. Are you? Please be kind to your body. Not saying don’t go 60, just saying take a little time to get there.
  • TallGent66
    Options
    No one else mentioned your exercise, but it sorta sounds like you are trying to go from 0 to 60 in 1.2 seconds. Are you? Please be kind to your body. Not saying don’t go 60, just saying take a little time to get there.

I have. Started at walking an easy creek trail an hour a day. Shot some hoops. Then 2 hours; then 2 hours walking in hot weather (85-102). Then mixed in additional time after walking, treading water for 1 hour. 1 to 3 hours a day, 4-6 days a week. Now hiking, typically 1.75 hours. Today the pool.

Winter will be a different challenge. Thank you.
  • TallGent66
    Options
    Thank you for the information (eat more) that helped get me over a hump (so far). Weight coming off again, knock on wood.

Question: doesn't the body typically burn fat before muscle? Fat being designed as energy storage.

(I've read the info. First digestive track energy is used. Then glycogen stored in the muscles (20%) and liver (80%) is used. Then fat is converted to energy.)

Happy 4th!
  • TallGent66
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Dropped another 4 pounds in 5 days after hitting a wall. Eating more, now 1400-1900 calories per day. Feel best around 1500. Protein way up, to 90 - 130g per day. Had a treat last night: ribs, a beer, and a small chocolate.

Height: 6'6", mid 50s, formerly semi athletic.
    SW: 315
    CW: 282
    GW: 245?

No expert here, but a few tips.

1. If you don't buy it at the store, you can't eat it! BIG.

2. My wasted calories were coffee creamer, and chips / crackers. I'd eat the whole tube of saltines (40?).

3. If you can up excercise from 1 to 2 hours a day, it can potentially give you a big boost. Even walking 2 hours a day is great.

4. Low cal ice cream options like Chilly Cow available at Grocery Outlet, Dollar Store, etc. A nice treat. Much lower calories and fat, with protein.

5. Don't let negative people sabotage you. One person kept offering me food, and said my efforts were "obsessive". (This same person has tried 6 different eating plans.)

6. I track every day. If I go up half a pound I think about the previous day ... often extra salt, or no excercise. This is very individual, but years ago I'd weigh once a week and could put on 4-5 pounds, which would be demotivating.

Break a leg!