Anyone else struggle with all or nothing when it comes to food?

Options
It seems like some days I’m so good and don’t touch a single bad food but as soon as i do i say screw it and binge on it. I know i need to focus on changing the all or nothing mindset and having everything in moderation but I’m struggling. Does anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
  • Five0Six
    Five0Six Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Try to remember that unless it's something specific your doctor has strictly forbidden or else wants you to moderate, there IS no bad food. Thinking that way about food tends to make people think THEY are good or bad, and that's a one way trip to failure.

The point is to repair your relationship with food, not make it more black and white. You are allowed to incorporate "bad" foods into your diet in moderation. And remember - you can restart your day anytime. Overeat one day? It's not a death sentence. No one is going to lock you up and throw away the key. Learning this isn't a crash course, it's a process.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing you have to do is quit thinking of food as "good" or "bad". Food is food and is there for the nourishment of our bodies. If you can stay within a healthy calorie intake and work off anything that goes over then you'll stay about the same weight. You can eat your entire calorie allotment in cookies and still lose weight. We have an obsession with "good" and "bad" food and really the only inherently "bad" food is food that is rotten. Start thinking of food differently and you'll be surprised how much better you feel. Eating cake, ice cream or doughnuts isn't bad. What's bad is what you don't do later to burn off those calories. Once you embrace that food is food you'll be astonished at how you can eat whatever you want and make weightloss work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    There aren't any good or bad foods...only good or bad diets. You have to look at the bigger picture and your diet as a whole, not as this particular food or this particular meal, etc. I eat very healthfully most of the time...and we have pizza night at home most Friday nights. A few slices of pizza doesn't magically undo the quality nutrition I've taken in during the week.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I struggle the same as you. I can usually commit to moderation but as time goes on I feel like I’m missing out on something then I start feeling restricted then boxed in then I just want [insert high cal/high fat etc food] now! I don’t have an answer I think that is just my life so I try to control the binge and not let it go on too long.